Game Day The Finals Thread - Non Richmond Games

Nov 25, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal
Lol I'm sorry what are u a fortune teller? West coast were definitely the next best side all year, they demolished Hawks only a few weeks ago, GF day is a completely different game all together. We haven't even been able to win a final. On grand final day we would have been in the same position as west coast today, hawthorn are that bloody good when it counts. Their leaders stand up when it counts ours haven't proven anything yet. Please

Scotsguy

Team Captain
Jul 4, 2015
Scotland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Kilmarnock FC
Hawks are simply too good at this stage. It's a different thing entirely winning a H & A game as opposed to a GF.

Give us a couple of years and we may well be there.

Tiger Scruff

Senior List
Apr 25, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
The problem with teams facing the hawks in a GF is they are timid. You need to clean up a few (fairly) but make them have second thoughts. Gee the Eagles were soft today. One of the most insipid performances I've seen.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
The problem with teams facing the hawks in a GF is they are timid. You need to clean up a few (fairly) but make them have second thoughts. Gee the Eagles were soft today. One of the most insipid performances I've seen.
The thing is,I doubt we would have been any better.

Schlurp

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Richmond
We've come a long way but this game showed how far we still have to go. No weak links in the Hawthorn side today. They will be good for years to come, as will West Coast who will learn from this. We really need to hot house the development of our list over the off season and adjust the game plan to get the best out of what we have, not just to respond to who we play on any day. Big challenges for us in 2016. Can't wait to see whether we are up to it.

tiggywigs

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
We've come a long way but this game showed how far we still have to go. No weak links in the Hawthorn side today. They will be good for years to come, as will West Coast who will learn from this. We really need to hot house the development of our list over the off season and adjust the game plan to get the best out of what we have, not just to respond to who we play on any day. Big challenges for us in 2016. Can't wait to see whether we are up to it.

I thought that the Hawks got a bit lucky today.
West Coast choked on the big stage.
The Cokers could have made a game of it as late as mid way though the third quarter, but kept frittering away key chances when under no direct pressure.
It's impossible not to admire the Hawk juggernaut, but I think things might have gone very differently if West Coast had been 'in the zone'.
And it will be a very different Hawthorn unit without Hodge and Mitchell.

Grechy

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Houston Rockets

Probably the worst game I've seen Darling and Kennedy play but in all honestly they weren't a chance when their midfield was taken to the slaughterhouse as they were.

Schlurp

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Richmond
I thought that the Hawks got a bit lucky today.
West Coast choked on the big stage.
The Cokers could have made a game of it as late as mid way though the third quarter, but kept frittering away key chances when under no direct pressure.
It's impossible not to admire the Hawk juggernaut, but I think things might have gone very differently if West Coast had been 'in the zone'.
And it will be a very different Hawthorn unit without Hodge and Mitchell.

All true. Five minutes in to the game and a hyperexcited WC player gives away a stupid 50 meter penalty that leads to Rioli's first goal. Then Shuey goes tunnel vision and another goal goes begging. So much of the game is played between the ears and didn't Hawthorn show how what a well drilled focused unit they were.

Hodge and Mitchell will be losses when they retire but as long as they have Clarkson in charge they'll find or make replacements. Buddy's defection might have been a catastrophe at another club but the Hawks just adapt and find another committed soldier. Their list management process is second to none in the League. They are exceptional not just at talent selection but player development, something we need to highly prioritise. I'm now waiting with interest to see who they will bring to their Club in 2016.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
WCE almost 2nd goal (a point) in that fierce first quarter summed it up for me...
Glory hunter wce player kick for goal rather than handball to a better positioned wce player running along side into goal...

tiggywigs

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
All true. Five minutes in to the game and a hyperexcited WC player gives away a stupid 50 meter penalty that leads to Rioli's first goal. Then Shuey goes tunnel vision and another goal goes begging. So much of the game is played between the ears and didn't Hawthorn show how what a well drilled focused unit they were.

Hodge and Mitchell will be losses when they retire but as long as they have Clarkson in charge they'll find or make replacements. Buddy's defection might have been a catastrophe at another club but the Hawks just adapt and find another committed soldier. Their list management process is second to none in the League. They are exceptional not just at talent selection but player development, something we need to highly prioritise. I'm now waiting with interest to see who they will bring to their Club in 2016.

Agree right back at you.
But no dynasty lasts forever.
They may be the Roman Empire of the AFL, but the Goths are massing...
The 'hyper-excited' player was Darling btw.
Won't be the darling of the WCE fans this morning.
Burnt his team at several key moments of the match.

PerthBoy87

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
My cuz AK,- Former Tiger and Magpie
The is post below from an Eagles supporter on their board really annoyed me and I'll highlight in bold the bit that I'm annoyed at:

"I guess Jack got a bit exposed today. People have observed that he is not really a CHF. So next year let's have a real CHF in the Gov. This is part of the cost of losing Easy this year. Free up a fit Jack for hawk hunting duties next year.

Time to move on and think about what's next. A flog called me yesterday and said the Eagles were drug cheats. This sort of thing can't stand and the club should look at legal action against the paper who promoted that idea. The reputation of the club is important. It may have had an effect yesterday, we will never know, but I was offended.

The club must be active to make sure that the Hawks or Collingwood don't get an unfair home ground advantage in the finals. No team should have the G as their home ground if it is the home of finals. As other posters have observed, we must be able play on the G using its attributes to advantage like Hawks did. We must get to play there more often or maybe get to train there when in Melbourne. We still need a big bodied midfielder. We need a plan where NN hit outs are not sharked by opposition. Must adjust game plan so that opposing players are not left open in the 50. I'm sure the game plan will change with a full backline and Gov available at CHF. We need to learn to kick straight under pressure (maybe train kicking after a six pack). Basics like kicking for goal and not dropping critical chest marks are vital. Go Eagles 16"

Now people tell me, there are four (4) MCG tennants: Richmond, Collingwood, Melbourne and Hawthorn. The bit I have highlighted means that these four teams should go and play their home games elsewhere? Seriously that is one of the worst and must stupid posts I have seen in a long long time, fair dinkum I tell ya what.......seriously dumb.

Back