Health The fitness and exercise thread (crossfit allowed)

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Guess we have the same goal in mind.

Similar to yours, I started at 123-4 at the start of August and currently hovering at 109-111. I keep hitting weight-loss walls/plateaus though, very annoying.

Well played, that's a good result so far! It's funny how it works, I haven't even really lowered my beer consumption yet and I keep dropping weight. I'm sure I'll get to a plateau and need to slow that to lose more. I'll aim for 90kg for the end of 2023 I reckon, assuming I get under triple this year.

Bloody/bloodied callouses I bet, been there. Probably takes a while to heal as well. Also depends on the knurling of the bar.

Speaking of, how are yours? Keeping those callouses from getting too jagged?
Yeah the winner glued his ripped hand with liquid chalk and normal chalk.

Never had to maintain my calluses to be honest. I do rip mine with my nails during the day without thinking about it which seems to keep them rounded enough to not rip them.

This was my 250 from yesterday. I’m gonna be very upset with myself if I don’t nail at least 270 on the day.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

Never had to maintain my calluses to be honest. I do rip mine with my nails during the day without thinking about it which seems to keep them rounded enough to not rip them.

This was my 250 from yesterday. I’m gonna be very upset with myself if I don’t nail at least 270 on the day.

I've never tried that, gonna safely assume I'd get nowhere near that ha ha, well played

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
Unless you are training for the next Olympics 30-60 minutes a day is easily enough time to get reasonably fit.
What I’ve found is what use is it being skinny when I can’t quit smoking. Seems kinda like a double edged sword may as well have stayed fat

Nov 20, 2008
#freeMelbourne #SackDan
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
The Super Saiyans, Tasmania Devils
I’m trying to get down to 100kg by Xmas, was 113 in July and currently about 103, I feel like missing the odd meal is helping

Whats the latest update TI?

Guess we have the same goal in mind.

Similar to yours, I started at 123-4 at the start of August and currently hovering at 109-111. I keep hitting weight-loss walls/plateaus though, very annoying.

Update: Weight is now hovering 107-109kgs.

Also I have started eating more vegetarian/vegan diet and Hara Hachi Bu.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Whats the latest update TI?

Update: Weight is now hovering 107-109kgs.

I was 101.1 after the gym the other morning, normally around the 102 range. Still dropping some at least, still sticking to the gym routine and no breakfast, while it's working I'll keep it going. Good to see you're still dropping some!

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’m trying to get down to 100kg by Xmas, was 113 in July and currently about 103, I feel like missing the odd meal is helping
cleaning up my diet got me within about 10% of my goal weight. Nothing crazy - just getting rid of the bought lunches and takeaway, minimising simple carbs and sugar, and eating only when I was hungry. I wasn't exercising that much - maybe averaging 7,000 steps a day. Took a year or so but because it was a little change it was sustainable.

The last 10% required a little bit of dedication to exercise - gym 3 times a week, and a good hard 1hr walk or jog the other days. Doesn't sound like much but holy hell that last 10% was hard. I would be good for a few weeks and then life would get in the way. Eventually I got jack of it, and gave myself a hard deadline by booking a ski touring trip that required a high level of fitness. Gave me that little push to get across the line.

I've decided I really need something concrete on the horizon to keep me working. I'll never be one of those people who is constantly training for a marathon, but playing a bit of recreational sport and booking active holidays tend to help me keep myself honest.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
cleaning up my diet got me within about 10% of my goal weight. Nothing crazy - just getting rid of the bought lunches and takeaway, minimising simple carbs and sugar, and eating only when I was hungry. I wasn't exercising that much - maybe averaging 7,000 steps a day. Took a year or so but because it was a little change it was sustainable.

The last 10% required a little bit of dedication to exercise - gym 3 times a week, and a good hard 1hr walk or jog the other days. Doesn't sound like much but holy hell that last 10% was hard. I would be good for a few weeks and then life would get in the way. Eventually I got jack of it, and gave myself a hard deadline by booking a ski touring trip that required a high level of fitness. Gave me that little push to get across the line.

I've decided I really need something concrete on the horizon to keep me working. I'll never be one of those people who is constantly training for a marathon, but playing a bit of recreational sport and booking active holidays tend to help me keep myself honest.

Yeah I know I'll get to a point where it starts getting harder, the weight has been falling off currently but it will level off, that's when I'll have to cut out beer which upsets me.

The key for me is dedication to the gym really. I've had to adjust to exercising at 6am which was very hard but now it's my routine. And even better I feel like s**t the whole day if I miss a class, the pain of getting up early offsets the self loathing that day of me not going.

Plus one of the gym hotties said I'm "looking fantastic" the other day, of course I'm a married man and all that but that's still inspiring too!

Nov 20, 2008
#freeMelbourne #SackDan
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
100.5 this morning, so close! MarcMaverick what's your status?
106.5-7. Going into my last fortnight of pre-Christmas training. Have lost around 17kgs since August. My biological age went down from 56 to 44. Over the last month my resting heart rate has dropped from 53 bpm's to 43 bpm's. I feel much better.

Nov 20, 2008
#freeMelbourne #SackDan
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams

How are you going, RU_?

How are you going, RU_?
Hey mate. Put it in the strength training thread, but here’s the post.

Comps done and dusted!

Only just made it.. the water load got me to 110kg on the morning of competition and I spent almost 6 hours from 08:00am - 1:45pm sitting in a sauna to cut 5kg of water, and then weighed in at 2:30pm and started competing around 5pm. I ended up weighing in at 104.92, literally made it by the skin of my teeth as I couldn’t fit another sauna sit in, let alone actually do another sit as I was absolutely spent by the end.

Ended up going:
S - 220kg
B - 137.5kg
D - 260kg, dropped 270kg just before lockout. Form went to s**t for the 270, just didn’t have anything left in the tank and ended up way too extended. I’m cutting down to 105 as priority so I don’t have to weight cut again. Came 4th out of 7. 3rd and 2nd were about 30kg ahead of me and first beat me by 57.5kg. Keen to see what I can deliver when I don’t water cut 5kg on the day of comp.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
A mate and I at a same sex pairs CrossFit comp a few weeks ago. We missed out on a podium finish by 1 point, which considering we're both in our 50s (hence the team name) competing against guys in their 20s and 30s wasn't a bad effort.

180904084_10159676279059973_2220110492366031675_n.jpg

This particular workout was 50 chest2bar pullups between us, 50 deadlifts between us, 100 double unders between us and max synchro burpees over the bar in the remaining time which ended up being about 2 minutes and ******* sucked.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2008
#freeMelbourne #SackDan
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
99.5 this morning, good to see two digits for the first time in 4 years or so

Congrats, shame I won't be able to get sub-100kgs pre-Christmas. Been there and it becomes more of a defensive goal rather than an attacking one to get there. I remember being 150kgs around the middle of 2013 and going hard at it to get my weight down to double-digits even going to 90kgs at some stage, mid December IIRC. Defending that goal was another challenge, and that's where I faltered. I got to 115kgs in the middle of 2017 and that's when I started spring-into-summer campaign that for 100 days I'd train for all those days starting from late-August to early-December, much like now only more intense and intensive, with the goal of losing 20kgs in that duration. I had gotten my weight down to 97kgs and what was interesting was that my mentality was that I feel agonisingly short of the goal rather than I had lost 90% of that goal.

That's what I mean by:
Losing weight= attacking the goal
Maintaining weight loss= defending the goal.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Congrats, shame I won't be able to get sub-100kgs pre-Christmas. Been there and it becomes more of a defensive goal rather than an attacking one to get there. I remember being 150kgs around the middle of 2013 and going hard at it to get my weight down to double-digits even going to 90kgs at some stage, mid December IIRC. Defending that goal was another challenge, and that's where I faltered. I got to 115kgs in the middle of 2017 and that's when I started spring-into-summer campaign that for 100 days I'd train for all those days starting from late-August to early-December, much like now only more intense and intensive, with the goal of losing 20kgs in that duration. I had gotten my weight down to 97kgs and what was interesting was that my mentality was that I feel agonisingly short of the goal rather than I had lost 90% of that goal.

That's what I mean by:
Losing weight= attacking the goal
Maintaining weight loss= defending the goal.

Setting a goal is a good thing but not cracking it when you don't get there is hard, you have to appreciate what you've achieved and not get too down on yourself.

There's a different to losing and maintaining weight for sure. We can all go on health kicks for a few weeks, months, even a year, it's after that that can be the issue. I was 129kg in 2015, got under 100 in maybe a year and a half which was great, then I lost motivation, put it on steadily and then COVID happened, got up to 116 at one point. So yeah I'm trying not to rest on my laurels and keep going.

I can keep the training up (kind of have to for my headspace I reckon) but food and beer intake is the problem. I'm eating well now but I love my food, will have to work out some balance there.

Nov 20, 2008
#freeMelbourne #SackDan
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Setting a goal is a good thing but not cracking it when you don't get there is hard, you have to appreciate what you've achieved and not get too down on yourself.

There's a different to losing and maintaining weight for sure. We can all go on health kicks for a few weeks, months, even a year, it's after that that can be the issue. I was 129kg in 2015, got under 100 in maybe a year and a half which was great, then I lost motivation, put it on steadily and then COVID happened, got up to 116 at one point. So yeah I'm trying not to rest on my laurels and keep going.

I can keep the training up (kind of have to for my headspace I reckon) but food and beer intake is the problem. I'm eating well now but I love my food, will have to work out some balance there.

That is indeed the demons, no pun intended, we all face. You can be sober or choose not to smoke but you can't swear off food completely. You just have to be smart about it. Moderation is key as they say. Also you can't over-train a bad diet.

I do Strength based Hiit classes twice a week and Futsal once a week. Overall goal weight is 101.5kg which is my lowest I can ever recall getting down to (Chrissy 2019) but that was going hardcore weight loss mode and lots of F45 classes. I'm currently on 111.5kg (down from 118.1 in Jan 2022) but the problem is the treats.

I have started keeping a weight journal through the Samsung fitness app so I can see this weight gain/loss in action which I find semi-motivational.

Left pic is my lowest leading up to my recent highest (******* Covid) at the beginning of 2022, middle is now and right picture is average across 2022.
Screenshot_20221123-193444_Samsung Health.jpg
Screenshot_20221123-193544_Samsung Health.jpg
Screenshot_20221123-193551_Samsung Health.jpg

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Its all about discipline - especially with what you eat. I can eat healthier for decent periods but eventually we all fall back into old habits. Just got to catch it before it goes from 5kgs weight gain to 10+kgs.

As for cracking it when things dont go right, i did the 100km running in a month challenge (3rd year in a row) and 2 years ago year i lost about 5kgs. I put on about 5kgs over summer 2021/22 so thought it would be a good way to lose it again. This year i didnt lose a gram and pissed me off (do all this running and for nothing haha).

But changed it up to running shorter and faster (4-5kms at sub 5mins a km) and the weight has dropped away.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Its all about discipline - especially with what you eat. I can eat healthier for decent periods but eventually we all fall back into old habits. Just got to catch it before it goes from 5kgs weight gain to 10+kgs.

As for cracking it when things dont go right, i did the 100km running in a month challenge (3rd year in a row) and 2 years ago year i lost about 5kgs. I put on about 5kgs over summer 2021/22 so thought it would be a good way to lose it again. This year i didnt lose a gram and pissed me off (do all this running and for nothing haha).

But changed it up to running shorter and faster (4-5kms at sub 5mins a km) and the weight has dropped away.

There's definitely something in that, the higher intensity for shorter periods. I was training before this new gym but it was 3 min sessions and they weren't really cracking the whip so you could just cruise through sometimes. At my new place it's 2 min (sometimes 1.5 mins) and they really get in your face and make sure you're working hard, helps a lot.

Back