The Fitness & Weight Loss Mega Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

What sort of a regime are you running for yourself?

Well I go for a 1.5 - 2k walk a day if I can and I try to eat healthy. Though Friday Night I have a bit of a Pigout:rolleyes:

Mum has me on at least 1 smoothie a day

Good work TD!

After my 3 week placement, lost 0.8kg with no exercise. I guess walking 2km there and back, 5 hour sleeps, skipping breakfast and eating a pb and j sandwhich for lunch is potential for a new fad*

*would not recommend

I've got a question about building strength.

I'm having a month off and I'll be going to the gym twice daily, just wondering whats the optimal time to rest between strength sessions? At the moment I'm planning on Mon, Wed, Fri for heavy upper body work, lower body Tue and Thur, cardio 6 days per week with Sunday being a complete rest (hangover) day.

At the moment any soreness is gone 2 days after a big strength session, does that mean I've recovered, or should I swap the Wed weights for a swim, and do heavy work on Tues and Fri?

I've got a question about building strength.

I'm having a month off and I'll be going to the gym twice daily, just wondering whats the optimal time to rest between strength sessions? At the moment I'm planning on Mon, Wed, Fri for heavy upper body work, lower body Tue and Thur, cardio 6 days per week with Sunday being a complete rest (hangover) day.

At the moment any soreness is gone 2 days after a big strength session, does that mean I've recovered, or should I swap the Wed weights for a swim, and do heavy work on Tues and Fri?

recovery generally takes between 48 and 72 hours. If you are still sore when your due to hit that same muscle then i suggest giving it another day or 2 before hitting it.
Its a solid plan you have if you have the time to execute it. I also suggest doing cardio 1st thing so your burning off pure body fat but nothing longer then 40mins otherwise you will start burning into muscle and do intermittent stuff.
At the moment im doing Monday Chest and Triceps, Tuesday Shoulders and Biceps, Wednesday Back and Legs, Thursday Cheat and Triceps and Friday Shoulders and Biceps.
Mornings i do 25mins intermittent sprinting on the treadmill and then at night i do 40mins to a hour on the bike.
I also suggest getting stuck into Magnesium and Glutamine supplementation as this will aid recovery for your muscles.

recovery generally takes between 48 and 72 hours. If you are still sore when your due to hit that same muscle then i suggest giving it another day or 2 before hitting it.
Its a solid plan you have if you have the time to execute it. I also suggest doing cardio 1st thing so your burning off pure body fat but nothing longer then 40mins otherwise you will start burning into muscle and do intermittent stuff.
At the moment im doing Monday Chest and Triceps, Tuesday Shoulders and Biceps, Wednesday Back and Legs, Thursday Cheat and Triceps and Friday Shoulders and Biceps.
Mornings i do 25mins intermittent sprinting on the treadmill and then at night i do 40mins to a hour on the bike.
I also suggest getting stuck into Magnesium and Glutamine supplementation as this will aid recovery for your muscles.

Thanks Pricey, I'll add Glutamine to the shopping list. Already sorted for magnesium in the Endura I drink.

I've re-jigged my schedule, seeing as weekends won't be an issue for me until Feb, so I'll be working on a 3 day cycle, Always cardio in the morning (swimming cycling rowing or treadmilling - treadmill is limited to a fast walk due to my having plantar fasciitis) and strength in the evening, Upper on day 1, core day 2 and lower day3. When I go back to work I might start targeting individual groups, but for the moment I'm happy working on general areas, just to build a fitness base (and database of exercises, weight, reps).

Thought I'd post here if for no other reason than giving myself a bit of a kick along to get a bit more weight off. A while back I stood on the scales and at 107kgs, thought it was time to have a bit of a crack at losing some weight. I'm 43 and they say as you get older it doesn't get any easier, so there is no time like now

Step 1 - Jim Beam & Coke cans no more:(
Step 2 - Soft drinks gone
Step 3 - No take away food while I'm out and about working

I managed to get down to about 94kgs just by making these adjustments to the crap I ate and drank. I seemed to stagnate around this weight for a while. I'm a builder so I generally get a bit of a workout during the day. The poor old dog is now getting his arse walked off to the point that he's starting to lose weight too!! Thats the only excercise I have added.

I've found that eating a bit of cereal for breakfast (replacement for 3 cups of coffee) has been of benefit. During the day I have limited my food to apples, bananas, tuna etc. I now drink water only. I still manage a few beers here and there and Friday night is pizza night, but I have got myself down to 90kgs.

I still have a bit of a gut on me that I'd like to lose. I'm not sure what my ideal weight is going to be. Working in a physical job, I have a reasonably solid build, so I doubt I'm going to get down to 80kg or anything. I hoping to get to around 85.

I think I might have to start some more exercise now though. I'd like to say I will go to the gym, but when I get home I'm pretty buggered and I've got other stuff to do. (I'm the king of making excuses) What I think I need is some exercises I can do at home to burn off the fat around my guts. Ideas??

Finally, congrats to those who are trying to lose a bit. It does feel like a bit of an achievement. I hope by discussing this it gives me the motivation I need to go that bit further. Cheers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played with my new heart rate monitor over the last couple of days, sitting and having a beer takes about 200 kilocalories / hour, a brisk walk about 520, a 45 minute upper body session took about 350. My hr was sitting at about 105, a smoking hotty walked into the gym and it went up to 115, when I realised I needed to fart, it hit 135

Numbers are fun:)

I have been eating and drinking like a horse over christmas but I have not missed a walk for for more than 3 weeks.
20KLMs a day without fail and weighing 91.5kgs,yesterday afternoon left at 5.45pm and it was still 43c god it was hot,took a 1ltr bottle with me and drank it before halfway through but finding it easier to cope with the heat,don,t like it but can cope with it comfortably,got to remember to keep drinking.

I have been eating and drinking like a horse over christmas but I have not missed a walk for for more than 3 weeks.
20KLMs a day without fail and weighing 91.5kgs,yesterday afternoon left at 5.45pm and it was still 43c god it was hot,took a 1ltr bottle with me and drank it before halfway through but finding it easier to cope with the heat,don,t like it but can cope with it comfortably,got to remember to keep drinking.

How long does it take you to walk 20 kms?

Like many others I will be trying to lose a bit of pud this year. It wasn't actually a new years resolution as such. I was supposed to start in early December but injured my hamstring and then my back. It's been pretty damn ordinary ever since and I can't get into any sort of regime until it is sorted. Lots of physio and stretching and strengthening exercises. I need to add in some walking I think just to keep the legs ticking over but even that is painful. It's pretty fricken frustrating because my motivation is right there but the body is restricting me. I'm thinking of ******* off the physios advice to take it easy, and taking a leaf out of Buckley's mantra and just try to train through it. That has worked for me in the past. But it's a risk.

I keep hearing about FitBits but what are they exactly?

http://www.fitbit.com/

Basically you wear a wristband which tracks your movement throughout the day and you upload what you eat. You also upload any other activities you do. You do that by uploading the info via the fitbit app on the iPhone or on your PC and throughout the day your wristband flashes a number of lights depending on where you are with your fitness goals for the day. Depending on what your goals are the wristband will vibrate once you have met ur goals. I probably made it sound confusing but its a very good piece of equipment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back