The five biggest AFL news events of the decade (2010-19) IMO

Remove this Banner Ad

Are u a marshmallow?
Thread appears to be a poorly disguised troll thread or attempt to appear woke to others. The snide remarks in OP's first reply seem to confirm that.

In the OP "Like it or not".

In the OP's first reply "Just because you hate the thought of women not being in the kitchen or at the foot of your bed".

They do not appear to be acting in good faith and are being deliberately provocative.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rance stole the show or should I say cheated the rest out of it with a last gasp, headliner to close out the year, and decade.

Certainly saved the best for last and finished it with a bang.

If we are talking historically (something one might bump decades later), then I think your top 5 is correct. Those 5 things will still be remembered and talked about well into the future as significant things that happened in the 2010s.

In terms of actual discussion at the time, I don't think the expansion clubs and AFLW were necessarily leading the discussion. Goodes booing, Phil Walsh death, etc. were just uncanny, despairing events, among several other things, and the former has managed to be an ongoing talking point.

Important things is not the same as big news events.
It was still big news. It was big news when it was announced, its constantly in the news, and will be until it either has another step of significant growth or unless it dies.

Either way, in 5 years time when people talk about "last decade" AFLW will rate a mention. To some it will be #1, to others it will be #5, either way it was a big news event.

Found unfit to plead
Confined to an institution for the length that would have been his jail sentence
There's nothing else that could have been done

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

The kid CHOSE to take ice, so his "unfitness to plead" should have been allowed as a factor, and in fact, should have added years.

If we are talking historically (something one might bump decades later), then I think your top 5 is correct. Those 5 things will still be remembered and talked about well into the future as significant things that happened in the 2010s.

In terms of actual discussion at the time, I don't think the expansion clubs and AFLW were necessarily leading the discussion. Goodes booing, Phil Walsh death, etc. were just uncanny, despairing events, among several other things, and the former has managed to be an ongoing talking point.

I did actually mean, going forward.

All five of these things happened within the last ten years, and the top four lead to rule changes or significant changes which will still be evident for decades to come.

The fifth was just a "feel-good" story and one of the happier AFL stories of the decade, to see a struggling club, whose fans have been starved of success for decades, finally cash in. It gives hope to fans of St. Kilda and Melbourne.

The kid CHOSE to take ice, so his "unfitness to plead" should have been allowed as a factor, and in fact, should have added years.
The drugs and mental state are not necessarily related and the law recognises this. Lots of people comitt crimes whilst under the influence of drugs while not suffering from a serious psychosis or mental illness , however the law does not regard this as a mitigating circumstance. Are you confusing the two?
Therefore the mental state is correctly taken into consideration as a mitigating factor, as it should , as opposed to cold blooded pre meditated actions
He received the maximum limiting sentence , the same that would have applied had he been found fit and guilty and sent to jail.
For obvious reasons his sentence won't be served in a general jail situation but in a secure mental facility.

The drugs and mental state are not necessarily related and the law recognises this. Lots of people comitt crimes whilst under the influence of drugs while not suffering from a serious psychosis or mental illness , however the law does not regard this as a mitigating circumstance. Are you confusing the two?
Therefore the mental state is correctly taken into consideration as a mitigating factor, as it should , as opposed to cold blooded pre meditated actions
He received the maximum limiting sentence , the same that would have applied had he been found fit and guilty and sent to jail.
For obvious reasons his sentence won't be served in a general jail situation but in a secure mental facility.

The problem with that is, people can deliberately take drugs in order to commit a crime, to get leniency.

When are people going to be held personally responsible for their decisions? Taking drugs and committing a crime was HIS fault, so he needs to be held to account for that.

Phil Walsh may have spent more time working than with his kids. That isn't an excuse for his son to stab his father to death, and try to stab his mum as well. Maybe Phil didn't want to spend time with his son because his son is a psycho and a brat, and he didn't want to be alone with him.

The law needs to be tougher and have a "no excuses" policy. It doesn't matter about your childhood or your circumstances. You do the crime, end of story. Maybe then we can live in a safe society, instead of one that kowtows towards useless rehabilitation (I mean, how many actually change and become better people? Once a crim.....). It would set a standard, and people, like Phil Walsh, can feel safer in their own home.

The ones that resonate beyond footy are the biggest.

Essendon drugs scandal clearly.

The Goodes racism scandal is a clear second imo. It went well beyond footy and revealed the clear, ongoing issues this country continues to have with racism.

The other big one that few people have mentioned is betting scandals. For the first time, multiple players have been caught betting on their own matches. Through obsessive AFL media management it’s been sold that they’re isolated instances that haven’t actually impacted on play. That’s difficult to completely believe and in hindsight, the penalties given to the players have been ridiculously light. A few matches off for betting on one of your own games.

The AFL being in bed with wagering companies complicated it further, yet it continues at pace.

The entry of two new clubs into decidedly non-footy territory is huge. As is the recruiting of rival sports’ stars to play for them. Perhaps thankfully, both Hunt and Folau were failures on the park - or it could’ve changed the landscape of elite sport in Australia considerably, moving it even further into cynical commercial territory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Dons cheating.
2. The threepeat. Just remember, yes it’s happened twice this century, but it’s also only happened twice in the last 60 years. It is history made, it is rarified air, people trying to lessen it do so purely out of Hawk-hating ideology.

1. Dons cheating.
2. The threepeat. Just remember, yes it’s happened twice this century, but it’s also only happened twice in the last 60 years. It is history made, it is rarified air, people trying to lessen it do so purely out of Hawk-hating ideology.

...and people who try to make it bigger than it is do so purely out of a Hawk-mastubating ideology.

The problem with that is, people can deliberately take drugs in order to commit a crime, to get leniency.

When are people going to be held personally responsible for their decisions? Taking drugs and committing a crime was HIS fault, so he needs to be held to account for that.

Phil Walsh may have spent more time working than with his kids. That isn't an excuse for his son to stab his father to death, and try to stab his mum as well. Maybe Phil didn't want to spend time with his son because his son is a psycho and a brat, and he didn't want to be alone with him.

The law needs to be tougher and have a "no excuses" policy. It doesn't matter about your childhood or your circumstances. You do the crime, end of story. Maybe then we can live in a safe society, instead of one that kowtows towards useless rehabilitation (I mean, how many actually change and become better people? Once a crim.....). It would set a standard, and people, like Phil Walsh, can feel safer in their own home.
Yes, the son took drugs and committed a crime. The question really should be, was there ever intention to commit the crime, or did it result purely from the drugs/mental health illness?

It is important to distinguish between the 2 scenarios, because if:
- intentional harm, then it's a murder case and jail time.
- unintentional harm, then it would probably be deeply traumatising for the crime-doer.

Last edited:
Since we are drawing to a close on this decade, I was trying to think of the biggest events and happenings this AFL decade.

I have come up with my five top ones. I feel that each of these were significant when they happened, and will still be talked about decades from now. They each had people talking and filled talkback, newspaper columns, panel shows and the boards of BigFooty.

Now these are the five I have rated. I have not shown bias or tried to base it on favourism (other than the five are my own subjective opinion).

From 5 to 1

5) Western Bulldogs win their first flag in 62 years.

I mentioned this, because this was so unexpected, and unless you are possibly a Sydney supporter, you would be rapped that a team like the Bulldogs finally won their second flag.

This is a team where none of their supporters under 50 would have had the chance to even line up for GF tickets, or enjoy GF week, in anticipation of possibly winning a flag.

The Bulldogs had been starved of success, and had not even been to the big dance for 55 years, and not won a flag in 62.

I wouldn't be surprised if many Doggies fans had come to accept that they would never see a flag, or maybe even a GF appearance. I heard little from Doggies on talkback about sacking coaches, or getting rid of players, to build a team that can win a flag. Supporters of teams who have had more recent success whinge when they don't win it every year (fellow posters on the GFC message boards, I am looking at you), yet Bulldogs fans never complained, and didn't even seem angry, but resigned to their fate.

Even in 2017, headed into finals, even the most optimist WB supporter didn't brag that they had the flag won. But the Bulldogs came into the finals at 7th, won four weeks of football (with injuries) and not only made the GF, but won it as well.

It was probably one of the biggest "good news" AFL stories of the decade.

4) Drawn Grand Final (2010)

I put this fourth, because it a rare occurence, and it was interesting to see how a modern audience dealt with the ramifications of something that hadn't happened since 1977.

It also lead to a rule change, where now extra time will be played in a GF, meaning that this was historically the last ever drawn GF in AFL history.

3) AFLW

Like it or not, this was a significant event.

For the first time, women could play football professionally under the AFL banner. Before, they were shut out of what was coined "a man's game" but not only did they show the toughness to play, but the skill to play as well (I don't think you can compare their skills to the men's, since the men had a 120 year+ head start).

This is significant, because now generations of females can now be part of the game in a whole new way.

2) Gold Coast Suns and GWS entering the league.

Two new teams were added to the AFL this decade- a second team from QLD, and a second one from NSW.

Each have made significant news over the decade. Gold Coast, with their rocky start, how the AFL tried to shunt NM there, to signing Gary Ablett and other stars, to the lows of lack of success, and stars leaving by the dozens. Many people's optimist predictions that GC would be a juggernaut were instead shown that GC is now spoken about in the same terms as Fitzroy in its dying days.

GWS had more success and finals, and is considered a contender. They even made their first GF this year.

The adding of these two teams have had a significant impact on the league.

AND NO. 1 (DRUMROLL PLEASE)..........

1) The Essendon supplements saga- This was IMO, the MOST significant issue this decade in the AFL. It went on for five years, destroyed the reputation of a foundation club and a couple of its past and (then) present stars, and divided the AFL community. It was a massive "black-eye" for the AFL.

Now, I am not going to give my opinion of the rights or wrongs of this issue, or who is to blame (that is for other forums). I do contend that no other issue was so discussed, so mentioned, or got as much attention as this shameful saga. Many came out looking bad out of it, and it was unseamly seeing footy fans, media and clubs at each others' throats. It was the darkest saga in VFL/AFL ever, let alone this decade.

There, those are my five. I am sure that I have missed some.

If you have your own ideas, please share what you consider the most significant events in AFL this decade.

I thought the second biggest story of the decade was gary ablet junior making his homophobic beliefs and small mind public, especially considering his father's record of feeding heroin to teenage girls saying its cicaine and then leaving them to die after having sex. I thought it was huge considering he's a victorian poster boy, an icon, an idol. The public face for so many sponsors and former captain. I don't know how he could keep a straight face when isreal folau copped so much bullying, and his wife, for expressing the same bigoted extreme views.

Second only to..

tmp_29391-walsh6208997604770706084424.jpg

Tragic story, its biggest lesson is there's to much hate, real hate between supporter bases.

Yes, the son took drugs and committed a crime. The question really should be, was there ever intention to commit the crime, or did it result purely from the drugs/mental health illness?

It is important to distinguish between the 2 scenarios, because if:
- intentional harm, then it's a murder case and jail time.
- unintentional harm, then it would probably be deeply traumatising for the crime-doer.

But what drugs you talking about?

The science is clear pysch drugs cause more violence than street drugs. Its not something that can be argued. Ice would be the only street drug that comes close. He wasn't on ice, but he was on and off psych drugs, drugs known to cause violent outbursts. These same drugs also known to cause MS.

Science is suppose to be about facts but so many quoting science but avoiding facts

For purely football, then the draw in 2010 and the Tigers' droughtbreaking flag have to be up there.

Off-field, Phil Walsh's death, Spud's death, and Majak's incident were all big news at the time (for good reason).

For mine, nothing will eclipse the Essendon ASADA saga, though, especially the early days.

Remember when Hird decided to take on everybody?

High drama, much suspense.

As they happened:
1. Essendon
2. Goodes
3. Malthouse-Buckley handover
4. Franklin blindsiding GWS/AFL to go to Sydney
5. Bulldogs and Tigers drought breaking

With hindsight at the end of the decade:
1. Essendon
2. Goodes
3. Bulldogs and Tigers drought breaking
4. AFLW collectively, the good, the bad and the clickbait
5. Expansion but specifically Gold Coast failings, from Ablett injury and exit, to coach sackings, to Hunt and culture, to the win-loss and crowds and the club's inability to escape the narratives of "should've been Tassie" and "should've spent the money on grassroots"

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back