The "fix" ture - will North cop the double barrel?

Remove this Banner Ad

does it really matter.... i have always said if u r good enough then u will win no matter where. i mean we play hawks at etihad next week as there home game so its swings and roundabouts...

That's nice and all, but in the real world sometimes years and teams are 50/50. A single point, goal, win or opponent may be the difference between finals, top 4, a home final - whatever. Football is not and never will be a meritocracy. The idea that if you're good enough you'll win is true, but it doesn't make it remotely fair that some teams have to be less good to win more often.

Waussie

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So if Essendon , Richmond and Melbourne dont go to WA that leaves North, Geelong, Bulldogs, Collingwood, Blues, Hawks and Saints. If Saints go then North wont, so that leaves Saints, Cats, Bulldogs, Pies, Hawks and Blues. For television ratings l'm tipping Pies, Cats, Hawks and Bulldogs to go but if reduced crowds are back l'm thinking Saints or North, with the Bulldogs, Blues and Hawks because most of the crowd would be WA supporters....
Still no crowds allowed

Aug 24, 2006
THE BIG V
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Roo4Life Member
That's nice and all, but in the real world sometimes years and teams are 50/50. A single point, goal, win or opponent may be the difference between finals, top 4, a home final - whatever. Football is not and never will be a meritocracy. The idea that if you're good enough you'll win is true, but it doesn't make it remotely fair that some teams have to be less good to win more often.
i agree, but this year more than any other year in history crowd free kicks given by an umpire will not be there (yet). play 4 games in Perth with no crowds or 4 in adelaide with no crowds almost gives the away team the advantage...

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
does it really matter.... i have always said if u r good enough then u will win no matter where. i mean we play hawks at etihad next week as there home game so its swings and roundabouts...

Of course it matters.

Did you see how many years in a row Richmond didn't leave the MCG heading into the grand final last year?

i agree, but this year more than any other year in history crowd free kicks given by an umpire will not be there (yet). play 4 games in Perth with no crowds or 4 in adelaide with no crowds almost gives the away team the advantage...

There's more to advantage than crowds though. Call me old fashioned but I still prefer the idea that fairness should be the fundamental basis for a sporting competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Dean Margettes will find a way.

He sees things that didn't happen and he will no doubt hear sounds that didn't call out.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Dean Margettes will find a way.

He sees things that didn't happen and he will no doubt hear sounds that didn't call out.

Have we got that moron this week!!!

speedy

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2001
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Did McGuire say “Collingwood have an agreement with the QLD government and Brisbane lions to play up there”? WTF does that mean? Surely it does not mean the AFL fixture Collingwood to play an away game against Brisbane every year because Collingwood have a deal with the QLD government to do so?

I hope we are one of the teams that goes to WA, especially if it's before the crowds return. It may be less of an advantage to the WA teams.

goalieboy82

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2007
USA
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Fairfax Kangaroos
Let's embrace it and follow scamper's positive example. :thumbsu:

fu** 'em!
17219.jpeg

Choogler

Senior List
Nov 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Every team plays each other once, but it could be the most uneven (i.e. unfair) fixture ever. Apparently 4 vic teams will be sent over to form a WA hub. I think it will be a big disadvantage to those 4 vic clubs. The eagles and dockers will be hard to beat over there. Will North be one of them?

On top of that what if North also cop the trip down to Geelong like we do most years?
This is the double barrel I'm concerned about especially if teams like Richmond, Collingwood & Essendon cop neither.

This years fixture could be a insight to see how corrupt the AFL really are?
And this is why the season should be cancelled because it is the interstate teams and lesser Vic clubs (who I empathise with) that are doing the heavy lifting for the competition (as always) while the bigger Vic clubs get the armchair ride. Interesting how the outcry starts when the "hub" concept looks like affecting Vic clubs just like the hue and cry from the AFL and the AFLPA prez, Paddy Dongerflog, when the idea of a Hub in WA was first floated and a real possibility a couple of months ago..
It was said at that time to be unfair to expect Vic based players to be away from family and friends for extended periods... hah! So what happens, Dockers and Eagles have to do it.
It has now become an even more compromised and uneven competition than ever and, given the virus' community spread in Vic, it's time it was cancelled. Andrew's and the DHHS should be leading the way on this but they won't have the cajones to do so because they are fearful of the backlash and the effect the lost revenue will have on the AFL's ability to finance the struggling smaller clubs in Victoria.
Make no mistake it is all about the money, nothing more, nothing less and they are bastardising the comp to ensure they get it, at the expense of common sense.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
And this is why the season should be cancelled because it is the interstate teams and lesser Vic clubs (who I empathise with) that are doing the heavy lifting for the competition (as always) while the bigger Vic clubs get the armchair ride. Interesting how the outcry starts when the "hub" concept looks like affecting Vic clubs just like the hue and cry from the AFL and the AFLPA prez, Paddy Dongerflog, when the idea of a Hub in WA was first floated and a real possibility a couple of months ago..
It was said at that time to be unfair to expect Vic based players to be away from family and friends for extended periods... hah! So what happens, Dockers and Eagles have to do it.
It has now become an even more compromised and uneven competition than ever and, given the virus' community spread in Vic, it's time it was cancelled. Andrew's and the DHHS should be leading the way on this but they won't have the cajones to do so because they are fearful of the backlash and the effect the lost revenue will have on the AFL's ability to finance the struggling smaller clubs in Victoria.
Make no mistake it is all about the money, nothing more, nothing less and they are bastardising the comp to ensure they get it, at the expense of common sense.
WA teams are in a hub because of Mark McGowan. If the state government removed the border closure (or eased it under certain circumstances*) then WA teams could play home and away games as normal.

* Let players and coaching staff isolate at home during the week, with the exception of going to and from training and games.

Apr 26, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
WA teams are in a hub because of Mark McGowan. If the state government removed the border closure (or eased it under certain circumstances*) then WA teams could play home and away games as normal.

* Let players and coaching staff isolate at home during the week, with the exception of going to and from training and games.
Sort of. McGowan has offered the AFL the opportunity to play as many games as they want in WA, which makes sense given the state is essentially COVID free. His border closure is perfectly reasonable. The decision of the AFL to move clubs out of the healthier states rather than into the healthier states is the more dubious policy. The McKenna thing is an isolated incident now, but if it starts to cascade at any stage the whole season is going to be at best compromised and at worst untenable.

At the end of this current sequence of fixtures they should have 9 teams in SA and 9 teams in WA until Victoria gets on top of things.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Sort of. McGowan has offered the AFL the opportunity to play as many games as they want in WA, which makes sense given the state is essentially COVID free. His border closure is perfectly reasonable. The decision of the AFL to move clubs out of the healthier states rather than into the healthier states is the more dubious policy. The McKenna thing is an isolated incident now, but if it starts to cascade at any stage the whole season is going to be at best compromised and at worst untenable.

At the end of this current sequence of fixtures they should have 9 teams in SA and 9 teams in WA until Victoria gets on top of things.
Offering the entire AFL to come to WA as long as they are quarantined in hotel rooms for two weeks before even starting training, and when there is only one AFL venue in the state, is not a genuine offer.

There have been plenty of exemptions granted to the border closure - Richmond's Liam Baker flew to Perth and back for a funeral last week without having to self-isolate or quarantine on arrival.

Apr 26, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Offering the entire AFL to come to WA as long as they are quarantined in hotel rooms for two weeks before even starting training, and when there is only one AFL venue in the state, is not a genuine offer.

There have been plenty of exemptions granted to the border closure - Richmond's Liam Baker flew to Perth and back for a funeral last week without having to self-isolate or quarantine on arrival.
Essendon v.s. Melbourne at a WAFL venue seems better than the game being cancelled because someone picked up the virus.

Obviously it's not ideal, but let's be honest, this season is just about getting the games played however we can so there is still a bit of revenue to work with. The other option of course is reducing expenses in line with the drop in revenue - i.e. the wages of everyone in the industry - but there is clearly no appetite for that.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back