Mega Thread The Flat Earth Mega thread.

What shape is the Earth?

• Globe

• Flat circle

• Unsure

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pre assumption CANNOT be used to scientifically evaluate a hypothesis.

If you preassume your variables parameters you're going to get a wrong/null/bias result.

What, like you presume the Sun cant possibly be what we rotate around because a few experiments can show its possible for it to be small and not heliocentric, while ignoring all over experiments that show it as the model that is accepted as scientific fact?

Pull the leg NEGAN, you're extremely good at it.

What, like you presume the Sun cant possibly be what we rotate around because a few experiments can show its possible for it to be small and not heliocentric, while ignoring all over experiments that show it as the model that is accepted as scientific fact?

Pull the leg NEGAN, you're extremely good at it.
Beng you've gone from putting down Eratoshenes as an absolute to maybe he did this maybe he did that... I dunno ....

Fact is no one knows what the sun is, how it operates how far it is. It's all preassumed and reified into your heliocentric model to "make" it fit the bill. Actually you do, you told me once it was a ball of fire with a core of two sticks rubbing together.

Beng you've gone from putting down Eratoshenes as an absolute to maybe he did this maybe he did that... I dunno ....

Fact is no one knows what the sun is, how it operates how far it is. It's all preassumed and reified into your heliocentric model to "make" it fit the bill. Actually you do, you told me once it was a ball of fire with a core of two sticks rubbing together.

Its literally a fission reactor but yeah, two sticks rubbing together making fire is the basic premise of it.

Eratoshenes is recorded by other people of the time to show evidence that the Earth appeared to be round. Did he just use two wells? Two sticks? Pillars? Who knows for sure, we only know whats recorded, but his method is sound and is repeatable by any old person.

Hell, me and you tomorrow could do it if you really want, but we'll get a third as well just to get you rock hard about it.

all scientific theories begin with a working hypothesis....The point is to prove that hypothesis via independent data, which doesn't depend upon the initial hypothesis to begin with, in order to verify it.

Eratoshenes made a couple of assumptions in his measurements.

Syene was exactly North of Alexandria (it isn't exactly).
The distance between Syene and Alexandria is exactly 5000 Stadia (that's a complete guess - a stadii was based on how far and fast a camel could walk)
The earth is a perfect sphere (it's close).
The rays of the sun are exactly parallel (almost - not quite).

So he wound up about 10-15% off the value we have today. Pretty good for 200 BC.

Of course, he also assumed the earth was a sphere (or at least round-ish). Sure - it could be explained by a particular Flat Earth Model. But then the other means of measurement would not work (there was a massive effort in understanding the earth during the French Revolution, for example. They all came up with similar results (plus-or-minus 10-15% from Eratosthenes). The thing about the spherical model of the earth is it always works with our observations. There are a many flat earth models created to meet the many different things we observe about our earth - but unless they are consistent, they are not a lot of use.

Depending upon latitude, the circumference will almost always measure differently....Seasonal variations also add to the mix.

The latitudinal measure will also not hold true for a longitudinal one, which cannot be measured via the sun....The suns variance, relative to the earth, is dictated via the earth's tilt alone, hence the line of the tropics.

Its literally a fission reactor but yeah, two sticks rubbing together making fire is the basic premise of it.

Eratoshenes is recorded by other people of the time to show evidence that the Earth appeared to be round. Did he just use two wells? Two sticks? Pillars? Who knows for sure, we only know whats recorded, but his method is sound and is repeatable by any old person.

Hell, me and you tomorrow could do it if you really want, but we'll get a third as well just to get you rock hard about it.
Beng bottom line...

His test his work didn't prove s**t....and admit you were wrong and move on. Just because you are wrong doesn't mean the Earth is flat either.

It is also inconclusive about 3 sticks wells etc.

You have no idea what the sun is how it works so stop assuming

Beng bottom line...

His test his work didn't prove s**t....and admit you were wrong and move on. Just because you are wrong doesn't mean the Earth is flat either.

It is also inconclusive about 3 sticks wells etc.

Man, you just want to win this one so bad, dont you? Are you upset someone 2000 years ago devised an experiment, that if repeated today, would prove the Earth orbits the sun and not the other way around?

Man, you just want to win this one so bad, dont you? Are you upset someone 2000 years ago devised an experiment, that if repeated today, would prove the Earth orbits the sun and not the other way around?
Go back to attacking me beng it's all your left with.

No I just know you are wrong and parroting your wrong s**t creates a belief.

Some idiot will no doubt read your nonsense just like you did with Eratoshenes copy and paste.

Admit you are wrong and move on, nothing proven nothing gained.

Last edited:

Some idiot will no doubt read your nonsense just like you did with Eratoshenes copy and paste.

Id love to know just what goes on inside that head of yours.

Ignorance leads to more ignorance, and ignorance itself can be very dangerous.

Just ask Samoa how they feel being ignorant about vaccines.
What on earth do vaccines have to do with flat earth?

Yes ignorance can lead to ignorance,but aren't you concerned we put so much weight on theories like dark energy,dark matter,Gravity?

None of these things are proven,they are 'kelevens' to just make the math work,easily changed if need be,but you seem to think all this is fine.

People are clearly unsure about the shape of our planet,this thread is approaching 300 pages....

What on earth do vaccines have to do with flat earth?

Yes ignorance can lead to ignorance,but aren't you concerned we put so much weight on theories like dark energy,dark matter,Gravity?

None of these things are proven,they are 'kelevens' to just make the math work,easily changed if need be,but you seem to think all this is fine.

People are clearly unsure about the shape of our planet,this thread is approaching 300 pages....

Tortoise shell....surely.

This...this is embarrassing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have no idea what the sun is how it works so stop assuming

edit: Or maybe this link is more to your level...

Back