Roast The flogs in the media

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry to intrude on your board guys, but I just wanted to re-quote the above because of the truth of the statement. The amount of hysteria flying around due to this 'issue' both in the press and on BigFooty as a whole is borderline insane- 'tanking' was a running joke that everyone who knew anything about footy (with the exception of The Dear Leader) was long in on.

Suddenly in 2012 there's faux-outrage in the 'footy community' and a desire to make a pariah of Melbourne? So many would-be judges with a sudden interest in moral justice, a flair for handing out draconian penalties and a PhD in Historical Revisionism. The blood-lust and hypocrisy/naivety is amazing- such a charade, and a distasteful one at that. The Main Board reads like Schadenfreude Central..

Wish you guys well for 2013, hope the AFL does the right thing by you vis-a-vis your 'crime'... hang in there.

You can actually go back to 2009 and prior to that and see journo's saying that coaches would be negligent not to play for draft picks. Now they've all changed their tune because the flavour of the month is moral outrage.

I like it when journo's start to scrape the bottom of the barrel like this. It shows the story is running out of steam and holding less water.

Yes, talk about a non-article about a non-event. Jurrah always had one of the lowest fitness bases at an unfit club - perhaps through no fault of his own - and that he needed to be pulled or rested is hardly surprising. The idea that St Kilda, the future grand finalist, were going to let themselves be beaten by us in their last pre-finals game is just ridiculous. They cruised for a while, then kicked in the afterburners when they needed to to get themselves over the line. By a comfortable 8 goals.

I know Bruce McK has a high opinion of Jurrah's capabilities, but even he's laying it on a bit thick if he wants us to believe that resting Jurrah was the difference between us winning and losing. As for the Hun ... getting desperate, obviously being out-scooped by CW isn't going down well.

Bruce Hearn Mackinnon - what a w@nker. Wants to buy into the controversy so he can sell more copies of his book.

Melbourne were absolutely exemplary in their support of Jurrah (ungrateful SOB). It's very low indeed for MacKinnon to try and make matters worse for the MFC just so he can get a few more books out there. He's probably pissed that Jurrah isn't still playing football which ruins the rags to riches story he was hoping for with the biography.

So.... what next? We kneecapped our own players? Injected them with "flu like symptoms"?? Impregnated a few of their girlfriends so they took games off to see the birth?

There is no way the Hun could have printed that article about Jurrah while keeping a straight face. Gutter journalism at it's best. It's drawing the longest bow I've ever seen.

Thanks

Updated list of intelligent people who have made well thought out comments on this issue and aren't just trying to sell papers or get ratings -

Eddie McGuire
Patrick Smith
Beverly O'Connor
Finey from SEN
Paul Gardner
Martin Flanagan
Michael Rogers

Anyone else I am missing?

Add Damien Drum to the list:

"What we have is a flawed system that encourages teams to lose."

"The AFL have to look at it very carefully. While they continue to leave these serious inducements for losing, the system will always have conjecture.

"The AFL will be battling these allegations in two years time and four years and six years, and there will be suspicion over the performance of bottom clubs for as long as they leave these rules in place."

Quotes from this article: http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/da...-because-it-pays/story-fndv8h5w-1226510148207

Tim Lane wrote an even handed article over the weekend too:

The degree of evil in this, it must be said, is debatable. Obviously it is a practice that can't go unaddressed. Yet it's nothing like the corruption of horse racing or cricket or sports in which the use of performance-enhancing drugs influences outcomes. Self-interest was not at play.
In this case, a club stands accused of exploiting a bad rule by under-performing in what were meaningless games. It was acting in what it reasonably regarded - according to the rules - as its long-term interests. Many of its supporters sensed what was happening and approved of it.
Nevertheless, the idea that a substantial coterie could be embraced within such a conspiracy, without high risk of eventual disclosure, was totally amateurish and utterly foolish.
And it was indisputably against the spirit of sport.
But so was the rule relating to priority draft picks as it then stood. It didn't just invite but encouraged what has happened. The AFL's failure to change its rule at the first hint of the possibility it offered is also condemnable.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dark-artists-drop-the-ball-20121103-28r36.html#ixzz2BIce8t8u

Who do you blame for hundreds of thousands of houses winding up with faulty roofing insulation: the Labour party for coming up with a badly thought out, poorly regulated scheme or the dodgy pink batt installers for taking advantage of it?

I know who the media chose to go after in that situation.

Hahahahahahaa so losing a game to the minor premiers who won 19/21 games is considered tanking for a side last on the ladder. You actually couldnt make that up. You would honestly think we wouldve won the premiership that year if we didnt tank according to these flogs

Wasnt that the game Robbo came back on the field for a 4th quarter send off goal?? Mustve made a 47 point difference

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...to-see-him-train/story-e6frf9jf-1226512577860
"Everyone hopes to see him get another opportunity to play elite football,'' Rohde said of a player who Melbourne finally lost patience with after in 2009 making him one of football's greatest stories when it drafted him from remote central Australia club Yuendumu Magpies.

Hmm, here I was thinking Jurrah quit the club after we supported him all year. Thank you Andrew Capel for correcting me. flog

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...to-see-him-train/story-e6frf9jf-1226512577860

Hmm, here I was thinking Jurrah quit the club after we supported him all year. Thank you Andrew Capel for correcting me. flog

Glad we don't have to go through the rigmarole of the trial after the offseason crap we have had.. His best years are behind him and his head is not in a good place anyway..

Of all the things i have been critical of, of the Melbourne Football Club, our handling of Jurrah's circumstances this year has been 'top shelf'....

Glad we don't have to go through the rigmarole of the trial after the offseason crap we have had.. His best years are behind him and his head is not in a good place anyway..

Of all the things i have been critical of, of the Melbourne Football Club, our handling of Jurrah's circumstances this year has been 'top shelf'....
absolutely, I wasn't overly upset when he left and we got to avoid the rest of the drama. Having said that, our handling of the whole situation was one of the few off field things we did right, and now the media starts to report it as if we turned our back on him. We can't catch a break.

Wilson's hatred towards us stems purely from Schwab

They despise each other so intensely

Make no mistake, her agenda in this is the removal of Schwab, 1st, foremost, last and only.

THAT is her true agenda.

Every article, despite no solid evidence of Schwab being involved, she's been dropping his name in, trying her best to implicate him.

She doesn't GAF about the collateral, she just wants Schwab jobless and unemployable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Make no mistake, her agenda in this is the removal of Schwab, 1st, foremost, last and only.

THAT is her true agenda.

Every article, despite no solid evidence of Schwab being involved, she's been dropping his name in, trying her best to implicate him.

She doesn't GAF about the collateral, she just wants Schwab jobless and unemployable

I have to agree with this, not sure where her hatred stems from but she definately has her own personal vendetta, there's almost no doubt about that now.

I am glad that Caro did not wander too closely to the mounting yard at Flemington over the past few days as she could have ended up with a saddle on her back and standing to attention in one of the starting gates . . . . . . .

THAT is her true agenda.

Something for all Schwab haters to ponder, if he shits the bitch he can't be all bad.

I don't even understand how anyone who follows footy could make a * up like that. McLean ignited the story of the year by saying why he joined carlton two years ago. How does a journalist not realise he has been gone from the club for years??

I don't even understand how anyone who follows footy could make a **** up like that. McLean ignited the story of the year by saying why he joined carlton two years ago. How does a journalist not realise he has been gone from the club for years??

Ralph probably got Robinson to proof read it. Arse Clowns.

THAT is her true agenda.

The articles from Caro on the tanking stuff has a strong personal vibe to it. It's not clear why she would go so hard at Melbourne now, when an investigation is ongoing and the facts have yet to be truly established. Does anybody know what could be driving these seemingly personal attacks? Cheers.

Why don't they trot out all the photos of Carlton players taken with Australia's biggest corporate criminal. Oh but wait, Dimwitreo was friends with the said person, hence the approval of the Judd 3rd party deal.

Why don't they trot out all the photos of Carlton players taken with Australia's biggest corporate criminal. Oh but wait, Dimwitreo was friends with the said person, hence the approval of the Judd 3rd party deal.

carlton get their fair serve from the media too. it's s**t for both clubs.

judd is being targeted now, so that might make you feel better. :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back