Analysis "The Fog" Will he make it?

Will he make it as the Tex replacement?

• He'll be our next Full forward

Votes: 49 68.1%
  • No. He doesn't get to enough contests.

Votes: 23 31.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Alwaysacrow

Premiership Player
Jul 8, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
We've all read Vaders opinion, like it or not, but I'd like to see what the rest of AFC BF thinks about Fogs future with us. Personally I'd love the club to persist with him to see if he can fulfill his potential and give him a run of games. I'd like to see more of him in the middle to see what he has to offer. We know what he can do when in front of the big sticks, but can he bring his game up to the level of 15-20
possessions? If he can he will be a massive weapon for our side.
I've added a poll.

Eventually yes is my feel.

Also my feel is it will be as a forward moreso than a mid.
I agree he won't be a mid, as much as I would love it, but needs to be more involved.

What makes Tex great is that when in form he get 15 plus good possessions on top of his goals.

Need Fog to learn that. Stints in the middle a way of him learning this.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

He will make it as a forward if we stop ******* him around. However I think he will only thrive once both Lynch and Tex are retired.
As much as I'd like to see Tex win the Coleman, perhaps playing Tex further up the ground would open things up for Fog. Watching Framptons cement hands is driving me crazy at the moment. Even when he takes a grab within range I have no confidence he'll nail it.

Love Fog!!! I feel he will make it! There is something about him that screams Star. Still only his 4th season. 80/90% forward rest of the time Mid.

He will make it with us IF we stop faffing around and dropping him, then bringing him back 8 months later. He needs to play every game for the remainder of the season, unless his form really drops off a cliff. Even if he gets 7-8 kicks a game, but is kicking say 2 goals a week, that's good enough.

Not as a midfielder. Yes as a Forward. His goal kicking is elite. Worst case he takes over from Tex in 2022/2023. Best case they find a way to play together. We haven’t given that a chance yet. Forget everything we know so far. That Ben Hart disgrace of a forward line didn’t tell us anything about this kid as a key forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Extra space in the forward line under new rules will make a big difference for him. His trouble getting separation from good defenders was always the concern for me - get a little smarter with leading patterns with the extra space to work with and better delivery coming in gets him his 10 kicks a game. What he does with them is already elite.

The midfield talk is simply baffling. He hasn't got a midfielder's bone in his body. Last week - 0 possessions in the midfield. Goes up forward - 5 kicks, 3 goals. That is most of what he has to do for the rest of his career! And he will undoubtedly have lots of games where he kicks 4 or 5 or more. After Tex, the bloke is our best kick up forward, he's a gun.
Yes he will make it if our club lets him start honing the forward craft he needs.

As I said in another thread, take Phil Walshes comments on Hartigan. We need to get 50 games into him ASAP.

I will give you my response after game 50. But if this club can give David Mackay 222 games, we can afford to give Fog 25 more.

Yeah, I'm pretty confident. He's as fit as they come (and was in 2020), and has a pretty wide ranging toolbox.

I disagree with the majority here, it'll end up being midfield first with forward rotations. It's where we need Fog the most, and with Fogs game, it's where he'll end up doing the most damage.

My issue with Fogarty as a forward is I don't see that backup skill if and when leading isn't working, and I don't particularly see him holding up as a main guy. It's all a bit too 3rd tall for me. On the bright side, Fogarty is no slouch defensively (compared to other key forwards), and really with how deadly of a set shot he is, and he's capable on the lead, he always be an asset to have in our best 22.

Last edited:
The midfield talk is simply baffling. He hasn't got a midfielder's bone in his body. Last week - 0 possessions in the midfield. Goes up forward - 5 kicks, 3 goals. That is most of what he has to do for the rest of his career! And he will undoubtedly have lots of games where he kicks 4 or 5 or more. After Tex, the bloke is our best kick up forward, he's a gun.
Yes he will make it if our club lets him start honing the forward craft he needs.

If this was the week before in the SANFL you'd have argued the opposite, where for whatever reason Fogartys fortunes reversed. Had no issue finding the ball in the limited bursts he was there (and did a lot of damage when he was involved), and didn't get anywhere near it in the forward line.

I still can't see why he can't play both midfield and forward roles a la Roo. The way Fog had started in 2018 was fantastic and he bashed bigger bodies not unlike Roo in his early years. He has the brute strength and talents to be able to play midfield and forward roles. Also his kicking is top notch, so he would be a weapon if a forward kicking for goals, or if a midfielder kicking it to a forward.

Obviously right now, he's more suited to being a forward, but with increasing fitness, I have no doubts he can make a very good midfielder in the least.

I agree he won't be a mid, as much as I would love it, but needs to be more involved.

What makes Tex great is that when in form he get 15 plus good possessions on top of his goals.

Need Fog to learn that. Stints in the middle a way of him learning this.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Id take 10 possessions per game if he kicks 2-3 goals per game and crashes packs and lays some big tackles

He looked a bit fumbly in the midfield. Could have had it a few times but couldn't pick it up. I tend to see him as a forward.
It was one game FFS!

Let's make an assessment after a handful of games playing mid/forward hybrid role.

Never change BF, never change.

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

If there was ever a player that you say, 'we're keeping you in for the rest of the year, just develop your game', it's Fog.

Reckon he will benefit massively from just being given the time to build rythmn and consistency in his game. He's got enough talent and potential to warrant that sort of investment - particularly when we're part way through a major rebuild. And he's shown that while he works on getting that consistency, he can still contribute positively to the team.

Back