Analysis "The Fog" Will he make it?

Will he make it as the Tex replacement?

• He'll be our next Full forward

Votes: 49 68.1%
  • No. He doesn't get to enough contests.

Votes: 23 31.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

improve the midfield (especially their ability to even kick the footy to our forwards advantage let alone put it on their chests) and watch fog become an absolute weapon that destroys opposition defenders.

the current shite being dished up by the likes of laird, sloane and keays would have even the greatest forwards of the last 50 years struggling.

the other issue fog faces is our team/forward line is so Tex focused its become a joke.

Yes, at this stage Fogarty is relying on his exceptional accuracy to stay in the side. It's great that so far he's been able to maintain that but even the best players will have inaccurate patches from time to time.

Hopefully his accuracy this year will keep him in the side long enough to develop just another one or two strings to his bow, whether it be finding a handful more possessions per game, or taking a few more contested marks, or finding a way to up his defensive game. Any of those and he'll lock in his spot in the side.

He's still only 21. Plenty of time to take the next step.

He's getting more involved in play, from the eye test.

I don't see why people are of the view that mark and goal football isn't replicatable though. This isnt a guy getting on the end of a bunch of play in the goal square. It's a consistent pathway to goal.

If anything, it's encouraging that he can still add those sorts of goals to his game- he's got a solid base to build on.

improve the midfield (especially their ability to even kick the footy to our forwards advantage let alone put it on their chests) and watch fog become an absolute weapon that destroys opposition defenders.

the current sh*te being dished up by the likes of laird, sloane and keays would have even the greatest forwards of the last 50 years struggling.

the other issue fog faces is our team/forward line is so Tex focused its become a joke.

Yeah, was remarking at the game last night just how often our delivery to him is terrible. It reminds of the trash we served up to tex over the last few years.

If he leads we'll kick it above his head, if he's open out the back the kicks fall short. When he's going to the left they'll kick it to his right. The two times we gave him decent delivery he marked and had shots on goal.

He's getting more involved in play, from the eye test.

I don't see why people are of the view that mark and goal football isn't replicatable though. This isnt a guy getting on the end of a bunch of play in the goal square. It's a consistent pathway to goal.

If anything, it's encouraging that he can still add those sorts of goals to his game- he's got a solid base to build on.

You may be right. It's clear all the fundamentals are there in terms of kicking. Perhaps he'll maintain that accuracy his entire career.

The issue is, if he doesn't he could find himself out of the side quick. 2-3 clutch goals from single figure possessions reads very different to 0.2 and single figure possessions. He will rely on that accuracy to keep his spot unless he finds another string to his bow.

I agree he is getting more involved than in previous years but only a bit.

You may be right. It's clear all the fundamentals are there in terms of kicking. Perhaps he'll maintain that accuracy his entire career.

The issue is, if he doesn't he could find himself out of the side quick. 2-3 clutch goals from single figure possessions reads very different to 0.2 and single figure possessions. He will rely on that accuracy to keep his spot unless he finds another string to his bow.

I agree he is getting more involved than in previous years but only a bit.

Is there any reason to think his kicking is an outlier? He's always been good at it, and it's the result of exceptionally good fundamentals. What reason is there to think he won't remain good at it?

He may not retain being the most accurate of all time, and he'll certainly have times in his career that it dips, but I don't think there's a good reason to think that he can't mark and convert as his bread and butter skill.

You have to look at these things in terms of the difference between something that can be consistently replicated and things that are the result of anomalies. The first are far more valuable than the second. This isnt Josh Jenkins getting on the end of open goals constantly as the result of a game style that could subsequently be figured out, this is sound fundamentals. It's like predicting that Sampras would fail because he couldn't maintain his serve accuracy. Why not? It's a skill and he's very good at it.

Let's flip the thread around, and ask:
If Fog is unanimously agreed upon to be: one of the best kicks for goals (ever), and one of our toughest nuts in the entire current squad, why won't he make it?
Well Thilthorpe has essentially identical accuracy and output (13.5) compared to Fogarty (13.4) but it's so irrelevant that nobody notices.

If he stays in the side next week it will be the first time in his career we have played him for more than 5 consecutive games

Last 3 weeks he has been good kicking multiple goals in all of them. He's on track

He got wingman level disposals yesterday. And the wingman picked up a freebie from an OOF that he didn't influence. Tex on another level though, but he seems the only forward we're allowed to kick to when he's any further than 30m from goal. We seem to only go to Thilthorpe or Fog if it's a deep entry. We have a clearly defined hierarchy at our club, there are senior and junior roles. The midfield is a primo example.

At the moment, he is a 30 goal a year third tall. Might be his ceiling
Yeah, most players hit their ceiling when they are 21.

Slow day for you?

the current sh*te being dished up by the likes of laird, sloane and keays would have even the greatest forwards of the last 50 years struggling.

Even Thilthorpe's contested grab and goal was after Dmac burned a 2 on 1 with the first in the clear by metres in favour of a dump kick forward. If your system relies on deep contested marking and you don't have Wayne Carey in the lineup then you're in a lot of trouble. Yes it worked on that occasion, but we need gigs who can see the free player and execute the skill required. I'll give him some leeway because it was his left foot, but reality is he'd have made the same decision on the opposite side of the ground. And I fear this isn't a weakness, it's coaching instruction as we know that Nicks decried non-consistent deep entries after a previous game.

Now, I'm not suggesting Fog will be the next Harry McKay

But he'll, not much in it at the same age

Which I think is the enduring problem with Fog. He feels so close , but not just?

He got wingman level disposals yesterday. And the wingman picked up a freebie from an OOF that he didn't influence. Tex on another level though, but he seems the only forward we're allowed to kick to when he's any further than 30m from goal. We seem to only go to Thilthorpe or Fog if it's a deep entry. We have a clearly defined hierarchy at our club, there are senior and junior roles. The midfield is a primo example.
Sound like all clubs and work place were there are senior and junior role.......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fogarty is starting to get more of the ball, but he’s also making contests and bringing the ball to ground in circumstances that would’ve seen the opposition mark and run out of defence in the recent past.

Thilthorpe
Fogarty

Build around them. And of course Walker while he is playing the way he is.

Comparisons between Fogarty and Dixon are irrelevant at the moment because they are different footballer.

Fogartys best position is as a third tall, not as the focal point of your attack in the future. It means that he will get favourable matchups in the forward line which will get him more scoring shots, his greatest asset.

I feel that he would struggle against the better tall defenders which is why a 3 tall forward line with Fogarty as the third tall is the way to go

Comparisons between Fogarty and Dixon are irrelevant at the moment because they are different footballer.

Fogartys best position is as a third tall, not as the focal point of your attack in the future. It means that he will get favourable matchups in the forward line which will get him more scoring shots, his greatest asset.

I feel that he would struggle against the better tall defenders which is why a 3 tall forward line with Fogarty as the third tall is the way to go
Who is saying he is the focal point, that's Thilthorpe.

Last edited:
I feel like Fog's confidence is noticeably growing, specifically in how to play his position effectively now. Always looked like he just wasn't sure about how he fit into that forward line mix (probably because of the yoyo treatment of selection committee's past).

But it just feels like those 3 KPF's are slowly starting to figure out how to play in that forward line together, which in turn is helping FOG get in better positions to be dangerous. And if we are to take the next step, we really need those 3 to continue to evolve into a well oiled machine.

I feel like Fog's confidence is noticeably growing, specifically in how to play his position effectively now. Always looked like he just wasn't sure about how he fit into that forward line mix (probably because of the yoyo treatment of selection committee's past).

But it just feels like those 3 KPF's are slowly starting to figure out how to play in that forward line together, which in turn is helping FOG get in better positions to be dangerous. And if we are to take the next step, we really need those 3 to continue to evolve into a well oiled machine.

I am quietly excited that the three of them suddenly seem to co-exist

i wonder who will replace Walker in three years though

It's amazing what a difference playing consecutive games and better entries into the forward line can do.

Back