Analysis "The Fog" Will he make it?

Will he make it as the Tex replacement?

• He'll be our next Full forward

Votes: 49 68.1%
  • No. He doesn't get to enough contests.

Votes: 23 31.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't watch the whole game, but from what I saw, Jones and Weitering were sharing Tex and TT. I didn't notice Jones on Fog at all.
I thought Jones started on Fog in the 1Q, before switching to TT for most of the rest of the game. The cynic in me says that they assessed Fogarty as being no threat, and switched their best defender over to our more dangerous forwards.

Whatever the case, Fogarty didn't bother the stats keepers after quarter time, except for the occasions when he was giving away free kicks due to stupid undisciplined acts.

I didn't watch the whole game, but from what I saw, Jones and Weitering were sharing Tex and TT. I didn't notice Jones on Fog at all.
I don't want to watch the game again to confirm but did notice every time the ball went to Fog that it was Jones beating him, it is possible he was coming off his man but got the impression Jones was on him. There was defintly some one on ones with TT and Jones. But Again Jones had a blinder and for me was BOG. Just killed everything comeing in to our F50. Maybe our mids were kicking it to Jones and our closest forward was competing with him.

I don't want to watch the game again to confirm but did notice every time the ball went to Fog that it was Jones beating him, it is possible he was coming off his man but got the impression Jones was on him. There was defintly some one on ones with TT and Jones. But Again Jones had a blinder and for me was BOG. Just killed everything comeing in to our F50. Maybe our mids were kicking it to Jones and our closest forward was competing with him.

I thought Plowman was on Fog for most of the game.

I've absolutely 0 issues with the 'undisciplined' acts from Fog. It's been a long time since we've had anyone who does that sort of stuff - it's a breath of fresh air.

Just has to get more football, started off on fire kicking 2 goals - then fades.

And he’s done it against CarLOLton just as I predicted

the most accurate of all time, and by a bit
On the one hand, Fog is definitely a champ at kicking for goals after a mark. On the other hand, this is perhaps a sign he’s currently too one dimensional with his main path for goals being from marks. Rarely do we see him do snaps for goals from a loose ball, which tends to increase the difficulty of goal kicking accuracy.

I thought Jones started on Fog in the 1Q, before switching to TT for most of the rest of the game. The cynic in me says that they assessed Fogarty as being no threat, and switched their best defender over to our more dangerous forwards.

Whatever the case, Fogarty didn't bother the stats keepers after quarter time, except for the occasions when he was giving away free kicks due to stupid undisciplined acts.

You reckon the goals convinced them not to worry?

Wasn't much in it. He pulled up just before. Was just a typical faux macho reaction that footballers do these days pretending that they're as tough as the old days when you could actually hurt someone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fog's physique needs to be altered by our conditioning guys IMO. He's still far too thick set and immobile to make it with his current body type. If he can be trained/conditioned into a more mobile player, he'll get a heap more ball and kick a heap more goals, with his deadly kick. At the moment he looks to be a thick, heavy lug who takes the odd mark and kicks a couple of goals a game from 5 disposals, covering minimal territory.

I didn't think there was much in it either. Just a bit late and I blame McAdam for such a terrible kick. Defintely not worth starting a melee worth $9500 in fines and a suspension to Zac Williams.

Williams was suspended for deliberately slamming Keays' face into the astro turf/concrete slab over the boundary line. Very lucky he only got one week.

Get the kids to 50 games and find out if they can play!

Except Fog!
I hope fog gets to 50 games. That's 15 games.

He's got his extension too. I just want to see consistency creeping in there.

Its starting to feel like a Petrenko career, games because he's better than the other options.

Williams was suspended for deliberately slamming Keays' face into the astro turf/concrete slab over the boundary line. Very lucky he only got one week.
Really pees me off when you see the AFL trying to rub DMac for 3 weeks for being tough and fair at a contest. Then the next thing? Giving a guy 1 week off for slamming a guy’s head against concrete..

Unintentional head bump (3 weeks) vs deliberate head bump (1 week). And if Keays sustained a broken jaw, the 1 week ban magically becomes 4-6 weeks ban. This arbitrary AFL legal rulings are the stuff made by plain idiots.

If Hocking is serious - and he’s not, he’s a clown - he goes away in the off-season and re-tools the entire game and presents it to the AFL and the public

remove this bullshit like Gutless Sniper getting his forever good bloke discount

but he won’t

and we’ll dick around for another five years or whatever

Get the kids to 50 games and find out if they can play!

Except Fog!
I know you like your stats:

Fog is tracking in the right direction. He’s averaging 2 goals per game in his last 5 games, with 2 of the games being against top 8 teams (Melbourne and Richmond).

Here’s hoping by 50 games, his fitness improves and he can turn that 2 goals average into 3!

Fog seemed to be closer to goal mouth last weekend. Apart from two goals offered nothing else

He played his best games as a forward across CHF.

When Tex was out.

Switch them fir his development. Tex at goal mouth, Fog up the ground more.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Spot on.

Thilthorpe didn't get a lot of joy in his 1-on-1's, particularly against Jones, but he dug in all night and managed to still get involved in other areas. it really should have taken the heat off Fogarty to cut loose, but he went missing.

Last edited:
I know you like your stats:

Fog is tracking in the right direction. He’s averaging 2 goals per game in his last 5 games, with 2 of the games being against top 8 teams (Melbourne and Richmond).

Here’s hoping by 50 games, his fitness improves and he can turn that 2 goals average into 3!

There is only one direction Fog is tracking towards and that's ending up a mediocre key forward.

Compare to his first year on the list (2018, and 2020 is also similar), Fog hasn't improved on disposals, marks, shots on goal and barely improved on score involvements. It all just looks like a guy who has hit his ceiling as a footballer. That's despite ending up in a better situation this year on top of extra fitness and playing more in the midfield (for a few weeks). In the end of the day, we're stuck in a position where the only play is to persist with Fog at the moment because our other options are worse.

Fog seemed to be closer to goal mouth last weekend. Apart from two goals offered nothing else

He played his best games as a forward across CHF.

When Tex was out.

Switch them fir his development. Tex at goal mouth, Fog up the ground more.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I genuinely struggle to see the point of it. That's not Fogartys role in this side long term. That's Thilthorpes.

Fog future is really finding a way as the deepest forward or plying his trade in the SANFL/Ammos.

Back