The food and wine thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds yummy. One issue though - and cant help myself, despite your plea for no comment - low fat yoghurt TKil? Greek, definitely, but why not full fat? Better taste and better for you.
a little secret - between you and me. My wife prefers the low fat business - I would actually go full fat mixed berry yoghurt - but even in the kitchen one must pick one's battles....

a little secret - between you and me. My wife prefers the low fat business - I would actually go full fat mixed berry yoghurt - but even in the kitchen one must pick one's battles....

I understand the need for a happy life.

I have a similar issue with ghee, which my husband prefers to butter or oil to cook with (Indian food mainly). I hate the stuff.

I understand the need for a happy life.

I have a similar issue with ghee, which my husband prefers to butter or oil to cook with (Indian food mainly). I hate the stuff.
Yeah, I can understand both points of view but then again I don't mind ghee.

I only ever use it in a roast & rarely these days.

Mainly love it because it reminds me of mum's roast lamb. She used ghee & suet.

Personally I think that makes the best roast potatoes except if you can get duck fat. Which growing up wasn't readily available.

Not long now Vicky before the day of the Legends.;):D

Thought I'd duck over here - need relief from the "Ed thread" - some are out of control - can't believe the aggro...
Anyway gentle wine and food souls ...
Breakfast smoothie recipe.
In empty yoghurt container place:
1 x banana - roughly chopped
1 - 1.5 cups frozen berries - I prefer blackberries but mixed / strawberries etc all work
3 - 4 tablespoons yoghurt - I use low fat greek (no comments thank you)
Top up (leave bit of room) with milk of your choice-I use oat milk (farming brother-in-law asked "how do you make milk from oats?")-sigh!
let soak for 30 mins to soften the frozen berries
Mix with stick blender - gives you approx 3 breakfasts - very nourishing - provides enough energy to view the Ed thread :)

View attachment 442374
How do you make milk from oats.
And I have to concur with VP on the yogurt. Don't buy the low fat stuff mate. Usually they add sugar to it because once the fat is removed it loses a lot of it's yummy flavor so they add sugar to make up for it. Also the fat in yogurt is the healthy type fats, not the artery clogging heart attack causing types.

Yeah, I can understand both points of view but then again I don't mind ghee.

I only ever use it in a roast & rarely these days.

Mainly love it because it reminds me of mum's roast lamb. She used ghee & suet.

Personally I think that makes the best roast potatoes except if you can get duck fat. Which growing up wasn't readily available.

Not long now Vicky before the day of the Legends.;):D

My mum used dripping on her roast potatoes, and cooked them for what seemed like hours. They were excellent, but I'd be surprised if dripping wasnt now a banned substance (banned by the diet police). There was always a tub of it in the fridge. Ít looked disgusting but tasted great. Was it some kind of rendered down beef fat?

How do you make milk from oats.
And I have to concur with VP on the yogurt. Don't buy the low fat stuff mate. Usually they add sugar to it because once the fat is removed it loses a lot of it's yummy flavor so they add sugar to make up for it. Also the fat in yogurt is the healthy type fats, not the artery clogging heart attack causing types.

upload_2017-12-5_18-35-24.png

This was in the fridge at work - is this the yoghurt I should be aspiring to?

My mum used dripping on her roast potatoes, and cooked them for what seemed like hours. They were excellent, but I'd be surprised if dripping wasnt now a banned substance (banned by the diet police). There was always a tub of it in the fridge. Ít looked disgusting but tasted great. Was it some kind of rendered down beef fat?
ah - the tin of dripping - if things were going well you could fry a piece of bread in dripping in a frypan. There used to be beefy liquid underneath the dripping on top - flavour city for potatoes. Sorry have to go.. the wife wants me to duck out and get some low fat Greek yoghurt, broccoli, tofu and pumpkin seeds - happy days!!

No TKiL, that yogurt belongs to Meg.
Remember when you scoffed her Lite n' Easy crumbed fish?
Aspire to your own foodstuffs or Meg will rip you a new one.
damn - being edited on BF too. I can't remember Meg being lite and easy....
PS - thought I had microwaved the wrong lunch today - but it turned out to be mine - last bit of the beef rendang plus assorted bits and pieces

View attachment 442626

This was in the fridge at work - is this the yoghurt I should be aspiring to?
Here is a bit of trivia for you.
BringouttheGimp is probably going to have a hissy fit over this but it is true.
Greek style yogurt isn't actually Greek style yogurt but Turkish style yogurt. (By the way the word yogurt is one of the few words used in English which has Turkish origins)
Now feel free to check the history books on this one.
Turkish immigrants first introduced yogurt to America back in the day.
One Turkish businessman who produced yogurt in America soon realised that marketing it as Turkish yogurt wasn't going to work too well because lets face it we are not the most marketable race going around. So he labelled it Greek yogurt. It worked. And now what the whole world accepts as being Greek yogurt is actually Turkish yogurt in a sexier label.
Oh and the answer to your question is yes.
Natural "Greek Style" yogurt is one of the worlds miracle foods. (google it)
Your better half may think that having the low fat stuff makes it more healthy but almost all the research shows that it isn't. Just enjoy the real thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After the wrestling is it de rigueur to hose each other down? Shower together? Joint consume the surplus yoghurt? or have I missed an alternative?
Ahh tickle.
Before I hit the sack I remembered one last thing to tell you regarding yogurt.
This may sound strange but try it. It's amazeballs.
Next time you have potato chips or wedges or whatever (home made not packet shite)
Instead of putting tomato sauce or vinegar of mayo or whatever on them try this.
Greek yogurt with a very healthy dose of crushed garlic, mix well and let it sit for at least half an hour so the garlic truly mixes with the yogurt.
Dip your chips into this instead of more traditional type stuff.
Brilliant. Just brilliant.
And as a bonus. Healthy.

Here is a bit of trivia for you.
BringouttheGimp is probably going to have a hissy fit over this but it is true.
Greek style yogurt isn't actually Greek style yogurt but Turkish style yogurt. (By the way the word yogurt is one of the few words used in English which has Turkish origins)
Now feel free to check the history books on this one.
Turkish immigrants first introduced yogurt to America back in the day.
One Turkish businessman who produced yogurt in America soon realised that marketing it as Turkish yogurt wasn't going to work too well because lets face it we are not the most marketable race going around. So he labelled it Greek yogurt. It worked. And now what the whole world accepts as being Greek yogurt is actually Turkish yogurt in a sexier label.
Oh and the answer to your question is yes.
Natural "Greek Style" yogurt is one of the worlds miracle foods. (google it)
Your better half may think that having the low fat stuff makes it more healthy but almost all the research shows that it isn't. Just enjoy the real thing.
Solution - I buy full fat yoghurt for me and low fat for my personal CEO - she won't steal my yoghurt and I won't steal hers - job done!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back