The food and wine thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, I'm fussy about garlic and always try for Aust grown, but its hard to get consistently. Apparently you can buy 'ropes' of garlic online, direct fromAust producers, but I haven't tried this yet. I'd probably be concerned that it would deteriorate before I got to the end of the rope. I love garlic, and we eat a lot, but not that much!

im greek.. ive been eating garlic since birth

Cooked a 2.2kg whole rib eye fillet Sunday night with a few friends over, fresh local beef and it was sensational. Very simple, sealed, olive oil, rosemary, garlic and some mustard seasoned and into the weber for around 90 minutes. Best thing I ever brought was a near thermometer and cooked perfect every time.

The weber is very underrated as an oven, i use it for everything from sausages to roast to pizza and can never fault it. If you've got a small balcony Magpie Girl I'd seriously think about grabbing one...so easy to clean also.

Nice garlic mushroom sauce to top it off with fresh salad.

Cooked a 2.2kg whole rib eye fillet Sunday night with a few friends over, fresh local beef and it was sensational. Very simple, sealed, olive oil, rosemary, garlic and some mustard seasoned and into the weber for around 90 minutes. Best thing I ever brought was a near thermometer and cooked perfect every time.

The weber is very underrated as an oven, i use it for everything from sausages to roast to pizza and can never fault it. If you've got a small balcony Magpie Girl I'd seriously think about grabbing one...so easy to clean also.

Nice garlic mushroom sauce to top it off with fresh salad.
As my gas oven died last year, I use my webber for roast every Sunday, rain or shine and really love it.
Apart from the rosemary that is exactly the way I make it. I alternate between rib eye and Lamb leg each Sunday.

Back on my hobby horse of trying to buy Australian.
Went shopping this morning and tried to buy my usual coffee, Nescafe Rich, no longer sold! They changed to Barista style Intense or Smooth whatever that means. It is no longer sold in a glass jar (save money) and is now 190g whereas the previous was 200g and is $2 more expensive.

Not only that, it is packed in Greece from imported ingredients. What the hell does that tell me? Previously it was made in New Zealand.

I really am so over it, may go back to percolated coffee as I will at least know were the beans are from.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back on my hobby horse of trying to buy Australian.
Went shopping this morning and tried to buy my usual coffee, Nescafe Rich, no longer sold! They changed to Barista style Intense or Smooth whatever that means. It is no longer sold in a glass jar (save money) and is now 190g whereas the previous was 200g and is $2 more expensive.

Not only that, it is packed in Greece from imported ingredients. What the hell does that tell me? Previously it was made in New Zealand.

I really am so over it, may go back to percolated coffee as I will at least know were the beans are from.
When Aldi can import a Spanish Tempranillo, sell it for $4.99 and the wine wins runner up at a blind tasting at the Sydney International Wine Show it really shows what Australian producers are up against.....It's very sad but how can you compete with that!

When Aldi can import a Spanish Tempranillo, sell it for $4.99 and the wine wins runner up at a blind tasting at the Sydney International Wine Show it really shows what Australian producers are up against.....It's very sad but how can you compete with that!
Agree but our labeling is up sh$t creek.

Thought I would try some different shrooms out today, was scared before eating them. I have to say I did not fair too well with these so called 'gourmet' mushrooms, enoki or something. the texture, the taste is still in my mouth an hour later.

I see some people in the thread are gardeners. I'm just starting my first serious garden out now. Got four beds ready for winter-spring, hoping to get some of really good stuff you just can't buy in the shops growing.

Agree but our labeling is up sh$t creek.
It is. I just bought this sorbet stuff, and it says made in australia from imported ingredients. So I've sent them an email asking where from, what ingredients and what form. I'd like a government with the guts to make all companies outline these facts at least being available on the internet.

Thought I would try some different shrooms out today, was scared before eating them. I have to say I did not fair too well with these so called 'gourmet' mushrooms, enoki or something. the texture, the taste is still in my mouth an hour later.

I see some people in the thread are gardeners. I'm just starting my first serious garden out now. Got four beds ready for winter-spring, hoping to get some of really good stuff you just can't buy in the shops growing.
Grow most of my veggies and also have miniature fruit trees, orange, cherry, peach, nectarine and of course the compulsory lemon tree.
Currently still have tomatoes which is a surprise, lettuce, spring onions, and cauliflower and picked some broccoli for dinner. Love my gardening.
Nothing like going out your back door and picking fresh fruit and veggies.
What have you put in the beds re compost etc?
I have two compost bins on the go but also add sheep manure. I try to keep everything organic.
I forgot also have apple and sick pear tree.

Agree, not my favourite mushroom.

Grow most of my veggies and also have miniature fruit trees, orange, cherry, peach, nectarine and of course the compulsory lemon tree.
Currently still have tomatoes which is a surprise, lettuce, spring onions, and cauliflower and picked some broccoli for dinner. Love my gardening.
Nothing like going out your back door and picking fresh fruit and veggies.
What have you put in the beds re compost etc?
I have two compost bins on the go but also add sheep manure. I try to keep everything organic.
I forgot also have apple and sick pear tree.
I have 4 tanks cut up, and being the first year, I've just bought premium garden mix from a composting place.

Those miniature trees; do you have them in barrels or anything? how much fruit do you get from one tree. I always find a large lemon or orange tree yields way too much for teh average family anyway.

I have 4 tanks cut up, and being the first year, I've just bought premium garden mix from a composting place.

Those miniature trees; do you have them in barrels or anything? how much fruit do you get from one tree. I always find a large lemon or orange tree yields way too much for teh average family anyway.
No the trees are in the ground, and are about 1-2 metres in height. Orange and lemon small, others a bit taller.
Use lemons in just about everything, tea, meat, spinach, broccoli so never have enough.
As to the fruit trees, more than enough for me but I enjoy sharing with family, friends, neighbours.

I have always been super picky with food ever since I was a kid, I literally refused to eat breakfast until I was 12 because I didn't like cereal, toast, pancakes... Not even eggs.... It's odd thinking back to all the foods I couldn't eat.. Anyways, I'm here to find out what is the red jam like stuff they put in some sandwiches ? It's tastes so nice...I thought it was relish so I bought some and it just wasn't the same... Any ideas ?

Edit: stuff I love
- Soy Sauce (as a kid whenever mum cooked rice I would flood it with soy sauce)
- garlic, I love garlic.. I put it in omlettes. I'm not sure how mainstream that is
- greek/Cypriot cheeses, saganaki, halloumi
- pesto

When I go out to eat I either get a nice medium rare steak or a seafood marinara with linguini if possible .. I tend not to stray from those options if they're on the menu.

Anyone have a good pasta sauce recipe ?

If you like Octopus i do, Its a Maltese recipe passed down 4 generations.
You should use a whole Occy cut into 3 cm pieces fry off an onion a heap of fresh garlic some sage and cracked pepper, throw in the octopus and fry for 3 minutes stirring constantly, add 2 cups red wine and once evaporated by half but in 12 kalamata olives halved.
Add either 10 over ripe tomatoes or 3 tins of crushed tomato, slow cook on low for 3 hours covered and make sure there is enough liquid, the last 30 mins uncover and turn up heat to medium, stirring often, once it thickens and Octopus is tender use over a long pasta either linguini or spaghetti with some fresh parmesan cheese.
Heaven on earth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back