The food and wine thread

The discussion going on in the butter versus margarine thread has given rise to some discussion on food. Funnily enough.:)

Seeing that we have threads on movies, music, TV shows and other lofty topics, I think it only fair that food and wine get to share the BF limelight.

So this is the place to post recipes, boast about home grown produce, make recommendations on restaurants, cook books, wine and wineries, pretty much anything to do with the topic.

As I write this, I am sitting down to lunch in a cafe near my work, and about to tuck into a toastie with chicken, pesto, rocket and pickled red onions. Yum.

I only drink red wine, my favourites are, Penfolds bin 28, Kalimna bin, Hollick, Penfolds StHenri, Wynns coonawarra Estate, Lindemans Pyrus, Limestone Ridge, 6 grange Hermitage, inc 1990. All in my cellar, mostly 1980's vintages.
For everyday drinking, Jamieson Run, WYNN 555,. Stock up when they are 30% off.
White wine gives me a headache and makes me so thirsty.

photo.JPG

just picked some beautiful tomatoes, placed a small salt shaker to compare size. having a great season.
Sadly both my lemon trees not having much luck.

ottoman

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2014
Istanbul
AFL Club
Collingwood
View attachment 107272
just picked some beautiful tomatoes, placed a small salt shaker to compare size. having a great season.
Slice them, add some basil and some sliced mozzerella a drizzle of olive oil some salt and pepper sit in garden with a nice drop of red and enjoy. Perfect light summer lunch. Takes 2 min to prepare and is very healthy.

Was drinking chardonnay from The Duke winery on the Mornington Peninsula last night. Not one of those cheap woody chardies that gave the grape a bad name a few years ago, but a beautiful sunny drop, well made and estate grown, from a very small winery. We visit about once a year, it has a cellar door, but is basically a 'tin shed' with plastic chairs, and nothing fancy. The winemaker produces only chardonnay and pinot noir, you can pick them up for $25 dollars a bottle, and good value. The pinot is very good too. Highly recommended.

Was drinking chardonnay from The Duke winery on the Mornington Peninsula last night. Not one of those cheap woody chardies that gave the grape a bad name a few years ago, but a beautiful sunny drop, well made and estate grown, from a very small winery. We visit about once a year, it has a cellar door, but is basically a 'tin shed' with plastic chairs, and nothing fancy. The winemaker produces only chardonnay and pinot noir, you can pick them up for $25 dollars a bottle, and good value. The pinot is very good too. Highly recommended.
Would love to be able to drink white wine as it looks so good in warm weather but sadly in the heat, stick to water as can't stand drinking soft drinks either.

Slice them, add some basil and some sliced mozzerella a drizzle of olive oil some salt and pepper sit in garden with a nice drop of red and enjoy. Perfect light summer lunch. Takes 2 min to prepare and is very healthy.
Sliced them up into small pieces with some lettuce leaves, spring onion, avocado, and dodoni cheese, sprinkled with my home made garlic and basil virgin oil with lemon juice (not vinegar) with a nice piece of grilled rib eye. Yum.

I only drink red wine, my favourites are, Penfolds bin 28, Kalimna bin, Hollick, Penfolds StHenri, Wynns coonawarra Estate, Lindemans Pyrus, Limestone Ridge, 6 grange Hermitage, inc 1990. All in my cellar, mostly 1980's vintages.
For everyday drinking, Jamieson Run, WYNN 555,. Stock up when they are 30% off.
White wine gives me a headache and makes me so thirsty.

View attachment 107272

This season is a bumper for tomatoes. All mine self seeded and I can't keep up. I've already made half a dozen bottle of chilli tomato relish and another half dozen of chilli tomato a ketchup which is beautiful and more in the Freezer. Here's a couple of pics. This is one pick also :)

upload_2015-2-12_20-43-13.png
upload_2015-2-12_20-43-41.png
upload_2015-2-12_20-44-12.png

Also, if you like a real big body Shiraz, try a Gibson reserve. We drink a lot of different wines as our best friends own and operate a vineyard and winery here and we help them out with the "networking" side of things. Anyway, you can get this from Dan Murphys for around $40 and I'd be interested to know your thought. FYI Rob Gibson used to be chief winemaker for Penfolds so he knows what he's doing.

upload_2015-2-12_20-42-52.png
upload_2015-2-12_20-44-37.png

I'm going to love this thread :D

Attachments

• upload_2015-2-12_20-42-32.png
    upload_2015-2-12_20-42-32.png
    116.4 KB · Views: 97
This season is a bumper for tomatoes. All mine self seeded and I can't keep up. I've already made half a dozen bottle of chilli tomato relish and another half dozen of chilli tomato a ketchup which is beautiful and more in the Freezer. Here's a couple of pics. This is one pick also :)

View attachment 108941View attachment 108942View attachment 108943

Also, if you like a real big body Shiraz, try a Gibson reserve. We drink a lot of different wines as our best friends own and operate a vineyard and winery here and we help them out with the "networking" side of things. Anyway, you can get this from Dan Murphys for around $40 and I'd be interested to know your thought. FYI Rob Gibson used to be chief winemaker for Penfolds so he knows what he's doing.

View attachment 108940View attachment 108944
Hmm
They actually look like they might taste like tomatoes!

You can't possibly eat them all.
I think I'll pm you my address for a door to door delivery :p

View attachment 108941View attachment 108942View attachment 108943

View attachment 108940View attachment 108944
Yum, re the wine, will definitely try out but after paying $650 excess for a car accident today, may have to wait awhile.
Sounds like my type of wine!

What are peoples favourite simple healthy recipes?
Very basic and found it on the back of a Changs Cruchy Noodle packet is a Chinese cabbage salad. I hate cabbage but it's really good and the longest part is roasting almonds.

Edit - probably not that healthy as you use a bit of sugar in the dressing

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Very basic and found it on the back of a Changs Cruchy Noodle packet is a Chinese cabbage salad. I hate cabbage but it's really good and the longest part is roasting almonds.

Edit - probably not that healthy as you use a bit of sugar in the dressing

Hahaha tried it. It's good. But yeah not really healthy I don't reckon.

I struggle with Cabbage as it's hard to buy small portions of it. Always end up with too much.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Salads, salads, salads, especially in summer.
Lettuce, tomato, spring onion, tuna/or grilled lamb, cucumber, potato, fetta cheese, olives.
With a nice bread roll.

I love salads. Every lunch and most teas I'll be chomping on a salad. My favourite at the moment is Vermicelli Noodles, Salad and Spring Rolls (Vietnamese style). From the market though so my attempts at recreating it are a poor imitation.

Any tips on homemade dressings?

Hahaha tried it. It's good. But yeah not really healthy I don't reckon.

I struggle with Cabbage as it's hard to buy small portions of it. Always end up with too much.
Yeah, our left overs always end up with the rabbits or chooks. It's a good salad to take to a party.

I like fresh salads but always like to add some meat like chicken or squid is a favourite, sliced beef.....always will have garlic, ginger and roasted sweet potato or pumpkin.

Sweet potato is my favourite easily

I love salads. Every lunch and most teas I'll be chomping on a salad. My favourite at the moment is Vermicelli Noodles, Salad and Spring Rolls. From the market though so my attempts at recreating it are a poor imitation.

Any tips on homemade dressings?
I am pretty boring with dressings, I alternate with virgin oil/lemon juice or virgin oil/wine vinegar.
Don't really like Balsamic as tends to overpower the salad for my taste.

ottoman

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2014
Istanbul
AFL Club
Collingwood
I love Mediterranean food. And it is not bias because I live in the region. I just love the ingredients. Olives, tomatoes, nice cheeses. fresh herbs, fish, the use of lots of vegetables. I just find that Mediterranean food has lots of fresh flavours.
Actually I love all food but Mediterranean is my fav. Turkish, Greek, Italian, French, Lebanese, Spanish, Moroccan etc. Great region for food.

Back