Toast The Food Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Tried your soup recipe last night Quicky and it was awesome. Loved the chunky vegetables and chicken in there and making the actual stock first definitely gives a better flavour than just using store bought stock.

That octopus dish sounds amazing too Axl. I've never cooked with octopus before. I have always wanted to make the pickled octopus that you get at greek restaurants. I must say though that on your restaurant list you must have Mamasitas for the best place for Mexican. It is the number one Mexican restaurant in Melbourne and reasonably affordable.

It is also very easy to make the Mexican corn too. If we have a BBQ I sometimes do this instead of just standard corn. You have to BBQ the life out of the corn so that it is nicely charred, then grab a bowl and mix two heaped spoons of melted butter, two heaped spoons of mayonnaise, juice of a lime or two and a bit of cayenne pepper. Spread this over the hot corn then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. (supposed to use a special Mexican cheese however Parmesan is a good substitute.

Next generation dessert/drink

b3v68o.jpg

Vanilla Coke + black coffee powder :p

Only thing it needs is a scoop of ice cream - which I don't have right now >_<

Yep. It is a pretty massive feast. I've been there a few times, my only issue with it was the acoustics of room make it kinda loud. But the meals are awesome. Do they still have the chesterfields there? I haven't been in a few years.

Just as a reference I'm 6'2" and of Balkan decent (and a bit on the heavy side ;)) - I didn't finish a few meals there :eek:- SRS value4money.

All still there.

Most do struggle through just mains.

I usually go the parma + pancakes with berries, ice cream + maple syrup. Get through it, but only just - mainly because if I know I'm going there I tend to skip lunch to make room for it all.
Always great for a big feed + value!

All still there.

Most do struggle through just mains.

I usually go the parma + pancakes with berries, ice cream + maple syrup. Get through it, but only just - mainly because if I know I'm going there I tend to skip lunch to make room for it all.
Always great for a big feed + value!

Hahaha, I do the same thing if I'm down in Port Fairy and I know I'm getting the "stump rump".
mmmmm 900g steak...
2141808218_7bb9d4ed06.jpg

Any meat pie experts here?
Which brand/pies has the best filling to pastry ratio?
Cheers

mmmm just dominated some crumpets with honey. Honestly I'm getting crumpets every time I hit up Safeway these days lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JALNA BERRY FRUIT IS AMAZING, have it between 2 pieces of toasts and its like a ****ing ice cream sandwich, only ~$4.80 at Coles due to a special.

GO NOW!

The greatest food known to man is pork crackling.

I feel this most outstanding post has been lost amongst the dross.

3664684105_ec5aaa59ab.jpg

"and on the Seventh day he rested, and ate Pork Crackling, and he saw that it was good and it was."

So jelly........But I will be visiting mum again in 3 weeks, then we will see who is jelly!

In fact I will get her to make me a jelly related dessert :D

Here's a favourite recipe you might like to try. Very easy to make and really good.
It's called Ludi's Chicken

photo-1.JPG photo-2.JPG

180 deg oven. Halve potatoes lengthways and cut into 3 or 4 pieces.
Mix together mustard, lemon juice, oregano and olive oil to make marinade. Put chicken, potatoes, onion wedges, bay leaves and 4 garlic cloves into large oven dish. Season potatoes and chicken (inside and out) with salt and pepper. Splash marinade over chicken and potatoes, coating them all well (use your hands)
Gently pour cupful of water into dish. Roast for about an hour.
Chicken should be getting brown. Pour wine over top, turn potatoes and onions, and roast for another hour (approx).
Check potatoes are still in a little liquid, if they look dry add a little more hot water.
The chicken should be golden brown, juicy and cooked through. Potatoes should be golden and juicy and there should be a little sauce to serve with chicken.

Enjoy

Beetroot and Pear salad.

Slice the beetroot (fresh not canned) and pear into matchsticks, add some feta. For the dressing mix some lemon juice, sea salt, and pepper together and sprinkle mint leaves over the top. There's a few different variations so just google for a few tips. A bit different to your traditional salad, but if you love beetroot like me, you'll enjoy it.

Does anyone have any good salad recipes? I love a good salad but I'm usually pretty unimaginative with them.

inb4youdontmakefriendswithsaladjoke.
google Karen Martini salad recipes.

She does some fabulous salads, really interesting combinations and flavours, and always easy to do recipes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back