The foodies thread 🦞🍤🍕🥞

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry, who are you?
I'm actually your husband's real favourite......

riin19b00.jpg

My Melbourne darlings
My dad's 60th is on Friday. We had originally planned a week long fam holiday in Port Dougy. Now cancelled. Then a fam long weekend in Anglesea. Now cancelled. Any ideas for lunch and an activity we can do this weekend? Will have three kiddies to consider (ages 2, 4, 6) a heavily pregnant woman (not me) and a 60 year old fella.

My Melbourne darlings
My dad's 60th is on Friday. We had originally planned a week long fam holiday in Port Dougy. Now cancelled. Then a fam long weekend in Anglesea. Now cancelled. Any ideas for lunch and an activity we can do this weekend? Will have three kiddies to consider (ages 2, 4, 6) a heavily pregnant woman (not me) and a 60 year old fella.

If Werribee Zoo is back open going on a safari could be an amazing family-friendly activity. My partner did it while heavily pregnant and enjoyed it.

What's your Dad's favorite food?

I could suggest something like La Spaggettata or Da Guido La Pasta on Lygon St; La Camera in Southbank.

I hope you find something that is truly memorable.

My Melbourne darlings
Collingwood children's farm? Cafe gets good raps. Or nearby Abbotsford convent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel rather crappy writing this after our Melbourne lockdown / s - should be just appreciating that we can now go out to eat at all, but......

Been out to three or four restaurants in the past couple of weeks (I’m lucky to be able to entertain clients as part of my role) and must say that my experiences have been on the whole disappointing.

I can enjoy a schooner & a parma as much as a fine dining experience. Have visited a couple of old favourites and Melbournes new shiny toy Society in this time.

I believe like a lot of businesses at the moment our restaurants are being impacted by the current labour / skills shortage.

Have had the parmas & beers at a couple of favourites in the Duke & the London Tavern, both fun days and appreciated greatly after not being able to do this for Months.

Went to an old favourite, Gingerboy, a couple of weeks back. Disappointing. Both the service & food were ordinary.
Rather than pretentiously detailing what was wrong I’ll put it down to start-up pains as it’s always delivered on both fronts previously. Will go back soon and hope they’ve sorted out these teething problems, it deserves a show of loyalty.

Marameo - One of our go-to Italian favourites. Mario & the team consistently deliver in a relaxed environment.

Kisume - A Chris Lucas stable restaurant and another I go to regularly. Always delivers and did so again last Friday.
Superb sashimi & sushi, along with other great Japanese influenced food, great service. Always good.

Because it is new, now for the pretentious me to come out.

Went to the new “star” of the Melbourne dining scene yesterday, Society at 80 Collins.

The latest to be opened in Melbourne by Chris Lucas. My overall experience would be best described as underwhelming.

First the good - The restaurant is stunning, unbelievably well appointed, visually impressive. The service was good, not yet excellent, though you can see a lot of effort has been made to train the staff according to its 5 star aspirations.

The food......well not yet at the level expected at this price point.

Firstly, we started with beer - around 5 craft beers on the extensive drinks / wine list. After two rounds of a nice lager the third was warm - Not really acceptable for any beer, but more so when they are charging between $12 to $15 each. Obviously not enough being chilled for what was only a 50 to 60% full restaurant on the day.

Our wines for the balance of the meals were good - The wine list & visual cellar is stunning.

Next came a range of shared entrees, all were good without any being great. All I would consider on the small side.
This was accompanied by some nice bread - yet the butter had just been pulled from the fridge and was too hard to spread - whilst sounding pretentious this really isn’t acceptable at this price point or for a restaurant that aspires to be considered 5 star. It’s these details that seperate the truely great dining experiences from the merely good.

Mains - Individual mains were ordered ranging across our group from fish, steak, to vegetarian. A number of sides ordered to accompany ( Just as well, as all the mains are served sans ANY accompaniments ) All mains would be on the small side - the steak would barely be 200 grams, the veal less, the whiting one small fillet, an onion tatin.
None would cause you to order them again. The sides, again, I’d consider to be on the small side were OK - however the fries were too salty to the point of being inedible, another side being at best lukewarm. correct temperature seemed to be an issue right across our meal.

Dessert - Once again, a range of desserts ordered by our table - Nothing that you’d rush back to order again

Coffee - Excellent

Id hope that these are just teething pains for such an aspiring restaurant. I’ll give it some time and go back again in the New Year. Hopefully it will have achieved what it could be by then. Lucas does deliver at all of his other places.

Anyway, like I said, we should probably just be grateful that we have the opportunity to appreciate these things again. Good, bad or otherwise.

The company I work for needs to hire 120 more employees - literally. Everyone is understaffed.
Yes, its not good out there. Our business have just put two full-timers on to concentrate specifically on recruitment.
We are looking at similar numbers.
Hospitality has been hit hard, we need to be patient and support these businesses through these difficult times so that we can come out the other side maintaining the wonderful choices we have.

2 & half hours at Parlamento for a lazy Tuesday dinner.

Shared the Anti Pasti while indulging in the recommended Italian beer, who’s name I cannot recall.

Lamb Shanks were off the planet.

Had a crack at the Tiramisu, followed by an Afagatto.

Then topped it off with a nice Galliano on ice.

Did not know this thread existed.

There will be weekly updates.😎👍

Happy hour in the Chancellor then a pace over Hindley into Akimitsu.

Man they whizz the courses out, there’s 6 of us & they banged it out.

Started on the oysters Tempura, which cannot lose

Heaved into the beef curry, competent enough.

Then went the black ice-cream thingy with popcorn.

Saki went down drink for drink with the Pales.

Half pissed, the others seem happy.

3/5

Stig - Was in your part of the world last week. Always love a visit to Adelaide.
Just about my favourite City in Australia.
Apoteca on Hindley for lunch, upstairs room. Cracking venue, good food. Would recommend.
Rooftop bar at the Mayfair for post lunch (a very late lunch) drinks & nibbles.
Sneakily down the side lane to Hains & Co (one of my favourites in Adelaide)for a late night whiskey & cigar. Great bar, knowledgeable friendly staff. Love this place.
Then off to bed way too late……

Remove this Banner Ad

Back