Resource The Football History Video Resource

Remove this Banner Ad

Bob Gartland, who is Vice President of the Geelong FC, has been collecting Geelong FC memorabilia since the 1970's.
His private collection has been described as, possibly, one of the best collections (of any sport) in private hands in the world! He gets many enquiries & leads, re Geelong memorabilia.

Occasionally, he puts his collection on public display, which he did in 2019. This 21 minute link is a video of his collection, with explanations provided.

Included are:-

. brief rare footage of Geelong v. Ballarat in 1911, in a "traditional" Easter weekend match.

.ditto 1911 Geelong v. Essendon

. the world's oldest (of any sporting code) membership ticket: Geelong FC 1864.

Last edited:

My request

Any vision of the 1967 VFL Preliminary final Geelong v Carlton - id love to see that again

From memory early 80s i might have recorded it - might have just been the 3rd qtr - they might have had a show - great final quarters - might have just been the 3rd qtr . I recorded it on an old Beta recorder i had - but that is long lost

Theres plenty of vision of that years GF - Rich v Geel - but id love to see that years PF

Hi all.
I would like to know if anyone could lead me to a resource that has VFL radio broadcasts from the 1940's and before. Would love to hear how the game was commentated back then.
Cheers

Hi all.
I would like to know if anyone could lead me to a resource that has VFL radio broadcasts from the 1940's and before. Would love to hear how the game was commentated back then.
Cheers
I don't know of anything online to listen to, but the 3KZ calls of last quarter of the 1947 and the 1948 VFL Grand Finals are held in the National Film and Sound Archive.

Were these things recorded on discs or tapes for retransmission and distribution interstate
Was there an army services radio replayng these for services overseas?
These sources need to be reseached

i used to audio tape games (NTFL) when i was listening in the 80s
all stuffs gone now, but i can remember parts of those games better that ones i went to

Remove this Banner Ad

Back