(Log in to remove this ad.)

basashi

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FFC Quay Club
Does anyone have any video of VFA play in the throwing era? (1938-49)

Specifically, I would just love to see a few sections of play where the ball was thrown instead of handpassed.

Obi fella

Cancelled
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Williamstown
Does anyone have any video of VFA play in the throwing era? (1938-49)

Specifically, I would just love to see a few sections of play where the ball was thrown instead of handpassed.
There was vision in the Willy Hall of Fame last year of Ron Todd, Des Fothergill, Soapy Vallance & co in the late 30s & 40s. I have it on dvd but just had a quick look on youtube to no avail.

basashi

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FFC Quay Club
There was vision in the Willy Hall of Fame last year of Ron Todd, Des Fothergill, Soapy Vallance & co in the late 30s & 40s. I have it on dvd but just had a quick look on youtube to no avail.
Thanks

I found the 1938 second semi but it is pretty dodgy. I could see a couple of throws though.

sherbrook

Senior List
Mar 5, 2014
The mysterious East (of Melbourne)
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
The Arsenal
It's unbelievable that we have practically zero footage of VFL grand finals 1962/63/64. The other 60s GFs are on dvd. Surely the missing ones were filmed by Ch 7 or ABC. There is a rather crappy news reel of 64. How could this have happened in the TV age?

The_Wookie

Queenslander
Jul 2, 2010
Launceston
AFL Club
Carlton
It's unbelievable that we have practically zero footage of VFL grand finals 1962/63/64. The other 60s GFs are on dvd. Surely the missing ones were filmed by Ch 7 or ABC. There is a rather crappy news reel of 64. How could this have happened in the TV age?
1962 - footage must exist

Mobbs

A Large Portion, Yes
Nov 1, 2000
www.footypedia.com/qooty
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC
The_Wookie can I add videos I have found of non-National level and non-State level footage here? Or would you prefer it to go somewhere else?
If so, what would be a sensible date cut-off? Clearly local grand finals are almost all videotaped now, showing it all would just flood the thread. If it was earier than 1990, would you assess it as "historical"?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The_Wookie

Queenslander
Jul 2, 2010
Launceston
AFL Club
Carlton
We're about history in this section mate. I like 20 year rule when assessing whether something is truly history or not, so 1990 would be fine - anything 1995 or earlier should be cool. if fits not AFL/VFL or other second tier leagues, id start a new thread for it, and ill get arund to updating the index thread.

Fanster56

Draftee
Sep 27, 2016
Lincoln, UK
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
East Midland Eagles 1990-6, Everton
If you are interested their is a bit of old footage from the Tasmanian state footy final of 1911 between North Launceston & Cananore at the old TCA ground in Hobart. Cananore was the precursor club to the Hobart Tigers. I'm not much chop with computer wizardry, but if you look up Tasmanian football 1911 you will find it on U tube & under the National Film & Sound Archive. The initial crowd shots are magic, as is the footy:p It certainly is an historic piece of film.
Cananore was the precursor to Hobart FC? That's news to me. Out of interest, where did you get that info' from? (My understanding was that the TANFL adopted a district format post-WW2 and the two clubs which did not have a dedicated district, i.e. Cananore and Lefroy, were replaced in 1945 by district teams in the shape of Hobart, and Sandy Bay, with Clarence and New Norfolk following two years later. I'm more than happy to be corrected!)_

Last edited:

madmug

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'll try. It was mentioned by a local footy historian to me years ago. I think Cannanore played at the TCA ground & Hobart play their too. Sandy bay were born out of a team called South East Districts. I will see what l can confirm more 'officially'!

The_Wookie

Queenslander
Jul 2, 2010
Launceston
AFL Club
Carlton
If you are interested their is a bit of old footage from the Tasmanian state footy final of 1911 between North Launceston & Cananore at the old TCA ground in Hobart. Cananore was the precursor club to the Hobart Tigers. I'm not much chop with computer wizardry, but if you look up Tasmanian football 1911 you will find it on U tube & under the National Film & Sound Archive. The initial crowd shots are magic, as is the footy:p It certainly is an historic piece of film.
its posted on the first page mate

Top Bottom