The football video games thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow, remind me never to manage in the A-League again. What a load of sh*t.

WSW board want me to finish in the top two places. The entire top 8 is extremely close (salary cap I'm guessing) so I'm either 1st or 8th, meaning half the time they want to sack me. I have a meeting regarding my future and two games later I'm top. I finish the season in 4th, 3 points from 2nd and 5 points from 1st. Keeping in mind I had literally 3 games in which I was winning until a 90+ equaliser. Including a 40 yard free kick which made me transfer-list my keeper.

Make it to the 4-5 final and lose on penalties. My transfer-listed keeper doesn't dive once. I am immediately prompted with a meeting, in which I beg for my job. They let me stay, but with a reduced wage budget. Jokes on them, I'm already locked into spending 10k over their limit through agreed contracts. We'll probably go and win the league next year with my Australia A side, if they learn to actually hold a lead. Then I'll leave because I hate this joint.

TLDR: suck my nuts western sydney.
the only good thing about managing in the a-league used to be that after 1 season you’d get offers from good European sides. these days it’s just s**t

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus, Arsenal, OKC, Avalanche
I'm looking forward to it. I don't expect it to compare to FM, but the fact they're actually changing some things is a good start.
Yeah but the changes need to be less than minimal to appease us. They say there are changes every year and it ends up being so minuscule that it’s basically the same product. Really need to see some sweeping amendments.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Yeah but the changes need to be less than minimal to appease us. They say there are changes every year and it ends up being so minuscule that it’s basically the same product. Really need to see some sweeping amendments.
This year I reckon they have done that.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Fired up a save where I started again a few months ago, am up to 22/23. Matches are every few days due to the WC in Qatar.

When I started playing yesterday I was 7th after P8 W4 D4, now, after 22 games I am ahead by 3 points. Just lost to Spurs who snapped my 8 game losing streak.

Team looks like this

Leno
Bellerin Saliba Upamecano Gaya
Torreira
Pellegrini Kessie
Pepe--------------------------Rodyrgo
Haaland
Pellegri
Mount
Majer
Everton
Guendouzi
Aouar
Martinelli
-
Pope
Wan Bissaka
Luiz Felipe
Rice
Tymon
Almada
Tonali
Nelson
Martinez (regen)

Was struggling for a while with goals, and Pellegri seems to miss sitters, so I spent 98m on Haaland. Saw Mount was transfer listed so snapped him up for 34m. Have approached Thauvin to sign on a free (he's 30), Inter have also offered him a contract so we will wait and see.

Got Sporting in the last 16 of CL, and Holland won the WC.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Fired up a save where I started again a few months ago, am up to 22/23. Matches are every few days due to the WC in Qatar.

When I started playing yesterday I was 7th after P8 W4 D4, now, after 22 games I am ahead by 3 points. Just lost to Spurs who snapped my 8 game losing streak.

Team looks like this

Leno
Bellerin Saliba Upamecano Gaya
Torreira
Pellegrini Kessie
Pepe--------------------------Rodyrgo
Haaland
Pellegri
Mount
Majer
Everton
Guendouzi
Aouar
Martinelli
-
Pope
Wan Bissaka
Luiz Felipe
Rice
Tymon
Almada
Tonali
Nelson
Martinez (regen)

Was struggling for a while with goals, and Pellegri seems to miss sitters, so I spent 98m on Haaland. Saw Mount was transfer listed so snapped him up for 34m. Have approached Thauvin to sign on a free (he's 30), Inter have also offered him a contract so we will wait and see.

Got Sporting in the last 16 of CL, and Holland won the WC.
Tonali not even in the squad or playing? He's meant to be absolutely boss if you nurture him right.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boys! I did it.

I beat Arsenal in the FA Cup final 4-0. Arsenal had more shots on target than I did but I was just more clinical. Then a week later I beat Man City in the Champions League Final 3-1.

Community Shield
Super Cup
Club World Cup
League Cup
FA Cup
Champions League
Premier League

All in the same season. Incredible!!

What is the challenge now though I guess? I mean I just won EVERYTHING haha.

I mean I could just try do it all again. Create a dynasty. I have 7 European Cups now so I wanna try catch Real Madrid and I need another league title to draw level with United and then another go past them.

Let's go!

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Yeah, Tonali is a bit of a bench player by 2028 in one of my saves.

Just firing up the FM20 legends save. I haven't played one since fm16, god it's fun. With such a wide variety of players especially players from pre-war.

There's a few players that are naturals at every position on the field that come in handy.

John Charles as an example is close to the best central defender in the game and simultaneously one of the best strikers in the game. I'll post his stats later. Amazingly this mimiced his career in real life.

It's fun swinging him forward or back at half time. He knocks in goals for fun playing as a central defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Taken a futures approach in the Legends save:

Not a bad bunch of 16/17 year olds I've managed to get ~ I have a fairly decent u/23's side.

Had to sell Ian Harte, Alan Smith, David Batty and the great David Harvey to finance them to get some money in the door.

1598430005612.png

Handy player to have, also probably why he's regarded as one of the greatest players in history, it's funny when you throw him forward at half time and he knocks in a hatrick on Maldini and Rijkaard:

1598430171641.png

The legendary "Eleven Pauls":

1598430243414.png

Attachments

• 1598430084755.png
    1598430084755.png
    197.7 KB · Views: 23
Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Up to 23/24 now. Won the league last season, lost the FA Cup on pens to Chelsea and lost in the semis of the CL to Liverpool (Pep is coach).

I went a bit nuts in the window. Both Arthur and Asensio were listed so I thought why not. After the sale of Pellegrini I needed a first choice CM as a replacement so Arthur fit perfectly.

Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 7.19.38 pm.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 7.20.20 pm.png

Salles (LW), Holmes (loan), Verhoeven, Martinez (loan) and Nenem are regens.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Your squad is ridiculous, blokes like Aouar, Asension, Mount, Tonali, Rice, Rodrygo, AWB all not even in the first 11!
Yeah and this is also after I sold Everton and Pellegrini as we can see above lol. And Luiz Felipe is surplus to requirements!

Aouar has been very hit and miss. I was playing him as CM for the first few seasons and wasn't great there. Started playing him at AM last season and he is doing better. I don't play with an AM though so he comes in either at CM when needed, or, if I take off a winger, I will shift him to be an AM.

Aouar & Rodrygo I signed first season. Rodrygo plays a lot, but that regen Selles is very good (and younger) so he gets the nod (though got injured on MD 1 in a 2-0 loss vs United).

Asensio (55m), Rice (28m), Mount (34m), AWB (42m) were all listed at one point or another.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Yeah and this is also after I sold Everton and Pellegrini as we can see above lol. And Luiz Felipe is surplus to requirements!

Aouar has been very hit and miss. I was playing him as CM for the first few seasons and wasn't great there. Started playing him at AM last season and he is doing better. I don't play with an AM though so he comes in either at CM when needed, or, if I take off a winger, I will shift him to be an AM.

Aouar & Rodrygo I signed first season. Rodrygo plays a lot, but that regen Selles is very good (and younger) so he gets the nod (though got injured on MD 1 in a 2-0 loss vs United).

Asensio (55m), Rice (28m), Mount (34m), AWB (42m) were all listed at one point or another.
I love a good AM but the tactics I use in my current save where I just win absolutely everything doesn't use either a AM or a DM.

So I haven't gone after guys like Tonali and Florentino Luis for that DM role and so many great AMs I haven't gone after either.

I play a deep lying playmaker and a box to box. Already have Fab, Gini, Hendo, Keita, Ox and Milner so we're stacked.

This off-season heading into season two I've brought in Sergio Gomez to be my future deep lying playmaker. So I gotta thin my midfield ranks. Lallana has already left on a free and I'm looking to offload Gini and Ox.

Last edited:

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I love a good AM but the tactics I use in my current save where I just win absolutely everything doesn't use either a AM or a DM.

So I haven't fine after guys looked Tonali and Florentino Luis for that DM role and so Manny great AMs I haven't gone after either.

I play a deep lying playmaker and a box to box. Already have Fab, Gini, Hendo, Keita, Ox and Milner so we're stacked.

This off-season heading into season two I've brought in Sergio Gomez to be my future deep lying playmaker. So I gotta thin my midfield ranks. Lallana has already left on a free and I'm looking to offload Gini and Ox.

A good box-to-box is one of the harder positions to fill in the game, very few decent ones and very few naturals at the position.

Like both of you, I don't play an AM or DM generally, I prefer to play 2 strikers. Generally because they rise in value the most and are easy to sell for profit. It's hard to rotate strikers and attacking players through the side in a single forward formation. The glut of regens and good young playes that rise in value are generally all forwards or wingers.

I've signed Tonali a few times and I've generally never really been able to integrate him. I was playing a tactic which had DLP at DM and I was going to build the team around him, results were shitty though, ditched it and sold him because he's not suited as a really good CM.

Pellegrini is always one of the best cash cows in the game, is always listed after a few seasons and can move on for a decent profit.

Vinicius Jnr generally gets listed in most games at around 2023/2024. Get him if you can.

Absolutely incredible in FM20, probably the best winger in the game.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal

So I haven't fine after guys looked Tonali and Florentino Luis for that DM role and so Manny great AMs I haven't gone after either.

Yeah, as I said, if a winger is injured and I want something different I will play a LCAM or RCAM (depending which winger is or isn't playing).

I find DLP-D always rates well in the DM role. Anchor Man etc never rate well in my experience.

A good box-to-box is one of the harder positions to fill in the game, very few decent ones and very few naturals at the position.

Like both of you, I don't play an AM or DM generally, I prefer to play 2 strikers. Generally because they rise in value the most and are easy to sell for profit. It's hard to rotate strikers and attacking players through the side in a single forward formation. The glut of regens and good young playes that rise in value are generally all forwards or wingers.

I've signed Tonali a few times and I've generally never really been able to integrate him. I was playing a tactic which had DLP at DM and I was going to build the team around him, results were shitty though, ditched it and sold him because he's not suited as a really good CM.

Pellegrini is always one of the best cash cows in the game, is always listed after a few seasons and can move on for a decent profit.

Vinicius Jnr generally gets listed in most games at around 2023/2024. Get him if you can.

I have Kessie as my B2B.

SMS always rates well (never signed him). First file he went to City and this file I am playing now he was at PSG, and now Man Utd just bought him for circa 106m and have paired him with Pogba :persevere:

Kondogbia is another decent B2B, but a level below these guys.

Yeah, Pellegrini was alright, but I wanted more from him, was averaging 6.9 or something. Made an 11m profit on him. Arthur has been decent so far.

Hanging for 21!

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006

Advice to take to the bank.

I've beaten Man U in a couple of big games, but generally my record against them is shocking cos this prick tears me a new a-hole every time. I got to the point of scouting a defensive full back with strong marking and aggression specifically for the benefit of trying to shithouse Vinicius Jr in games against Man U.

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Advice to take to the bank.

I've beaten Man U in a couple of big games, but generally my record against them is shocking cos this prick tears me a new a-hole every time. I got to the point of scouting a defensive full back with strong marking and aggression specifically for the benefit of trying to shithouse Vinicius Jr in games against Man U.

He's off his head.

I sold Verschaeren to Madrid for around 120m, who obviously then takes Vinicius' spot.

RM transfer list him for about 40m.

Proceeds to average mid 8's for the next 6 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back