The football video games thread

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
It's been a couple of years since I played an FM. Might need to get back into it.

I reckon we could get the online mode going with posters on here.
Never played the online mode before. But with a fantasy draft style mode it could be very interesting

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
How does it work? I assume you both have to be online at the same time?
Yeah assuming you set up a league and get everyone on at the same time. All have the same budget and you bid for players to fit under that budget. Never played an online FM format so not sure how it works playing against each other

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Yeah assuming you set up a league and get everyone on at the same time. All have the same budget and you bid for players to fit under that budget. Never played an online FM format so not sure how it works playing against each other
Might have to give this a closer look. We could seriously manage that with posters from here I think.

I'd be keen on doing the online mode - never tried it before though. Do you actually 'manage' the team during matches or are all the results simmed using your selected team (set a formation and play)?

Some nice features for this year's FM - create a club (Fryer Tuck looks like I will be able to make the Tyne Tyne derby after all! Maybe I can make John Carver their inaugural manager as well? ;)) and making your own manager character will be my 2 favourite additions I reckon!

Out of curiosity, what is the longest career people have played on a single FM save? I think my best was back on FM2007 managing the Toon up until (in game) 2018 - I also led the Socceroos to a maiden WC triumph. Basically all the players by that point were regens with a few of the original wonderkids being in the twilights of their careers.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I'd be keen on doing the online mode - never tried it before though. Do you actually 'manage' the team during matches or are all the results simmed using your selected team (set a formation and play)?

Some nice features for this year's FM - create a club (Fryer Tuck looks like I will be able to make the Tyne Tyne derby after all! Maybe I can make John Carver their inaugural manager as well? ;)) and making your own manager character will be my 2 favourite additions I reckon!

Out of curiosity, what is the longest career people have played on a single FM save? I think my best was back on FM2007 managing the Toon up until (in game) 2018 - I also led the Socceroos to a maiden WC triumph. Basically all the players by that point were regens with a few of the original wonderkids being in the twilights of their careers.
Longest I've ever managed is about 8-10 seasons when I've done a career manager sort of role starting at lower division club or smaller league like Belgium or Holland and moved jobs every 3-4 seasons. On FM15 I started at Club Brugges spent 3 seasons there (3 league titles & 1 EL final), moved to Udinese for 3 seasons (2 Copa italia wins, 2 league titles & 1 CL semi), took over a struggling Newcastle who were in relegation zone and guided them to 12th and an FA Cup final win before being offered the Real Madrid job. Took that and stayed there for 3 seasons (3 league titles, 2 Copa del Rey's & first to achieve back-to-back CL titles).

Another good one a few years back maybe 09 where I started with Heerenveen. Won a UEFA Cup with them after 4 seasons. Then moved to Spurs for a few seasons and again finished at Madrid for a couple.

Longest I've ever gone with a Spurs save is 4-5 seasons where I've taken them to CL wins and league titles

Longest I've ever managed is about 8-10 seasons when I've done a career manager sort of role starting at lower division club or smaller league like Belgium or Holland and moved jobs every 3-4 seasons. On FM15 I started at Club Brugges spent 3 seasons there (3 league titles & 1 EL final), moved to Udinese for 3 seasons (2 Copa italia wins, 2 league titles & 1 CL semi), took over a struggling Newcastle who were in relegation zone and guided them to 12th and an FA Cup final win before being offered the Real Madrid job. Took that and stayed there for 3 seasons (3 league titles, 2 Copa del Rey's & first to achieve back-to-back CL titles).

Another good one a few years back maybe 09 where I started with Heerenveen. Won a UEFA Cup with them after 4 seasons. Then moved to Spurs for a few seasons and again finished at Madrid for a couple.

Longest I've ever gone with a Spurs save is 4-5 seasons where I've taken them to CL wins and league titles

Haha why would you trade the rain and gloom of the north east for the sun of Madrid? bonkers jd! At least you ended our trophy drought though! :p

One of my proudest achievements was taking Scumberland down with a record low points tally. I got sacked afterwards though....so I created another manager to succeed me at the helm. The new manager then took them down in the championship and got sacked. Rinse and repeat until they were in the conference and in administration.

You would think after 4-5 managers, someone would realise Lee Clattermole is not a good goalkeeper! :D

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Haha why would you trade the rain and gloom of the north east for the sun of Madrid? bonkers jd! At least you ended our trophy drought though! :p
Really set the club up too they won the league the season after! In true Geordie style they followed it up with a 13th place after I took their best 3 players

Really set the club up too they won the league the season after! In true Geordie style they followed it up with a 13th place after I took their best 3 players

Ha! Oh well, we still won the league and a cup, there would be a year long party on Tyneside with the Broon ale flowing freely!

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens

Mate, are you trying to kill the club and derby before it has a chance to get going? You guys just don't play nicely with others, lol.

Actually, that sounds like a real sadist challenge. How long and how little of a points tally can you get before getting sacked? I mean, you've got to try with a top tier club after all, it's too easy with a smaller one. Do just enough to keep your job while continuing to suck and set the bombs in the foundation to failure!

Well, you already know about it, but one of my longest was the Tier 15 challenge for FM13, where I made my own club and had a 16 year old legacy player, with the sole goal of helping the team and legacy player make it to the Premier League. That took a fair while, but it's easily one of the most rewarding FM careers I had.

I've just learnt there is a 24 tier challenge for FM15. The only disappointing thing is while it has the main focal point league (The Mid-Sussex League, which has 11 divisions, which makes the Tier 24 challenge a reality), it lacks any of the others. I'm still considering that one, because I do want the full experience like the Tier 15 challenge. Loading times will be a killer (I had to disable everything outside of the English leagues to make the Tier 15 challenge work at a good pace).

Shoei

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 26, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Out of curiosity, what is the longest career people have played on a single FM save?

About 40 - 45 years in one save that went something like;

• Winning the Champions League multiple times with Allmänna Idrottsklubben (starting in Sweden 2nd Div )
  • Winning the Champions League with all Scandinavian team.
  • Winning the World Cup with Algeria.
  • Winning everything in South America and Asia with multiple teams.

I play journeyman careers though so I probably average 15-20 years a save.

I'm currently playing a save in Brazil were i've set the challenge that I must accept any bids made for my players over their value and see how long I can keep winning before getting sacked.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Always been a huge FM fan, got 10 seasons in on fm 15 and about 2026 in fm 05 as a record, when Messi was easy to buy and Freddy Adu was a god.

Don't really get FIFA tbh, admittedly I haven't played the manager mode really at all, I played it a lot in the earlier editions like 02,03 etc.

Is there a huge difference between like a 73 player and a 76 player when you are controlling them, doesn't it just come down to how good you are? Or am I missing something here?

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
Always been a huge FM fan, got 10 seasons in on fm 15 and about 2026 in fm 05 as a record, when Messi was easy to buy and Freddy Adu was a god.

Don't really get FIFA tbh, admittedly I haven't played the manager mode really at all, I played it a lot in the earlier editions like 02,03 etc.

Is there a huge difference between like a 73 player and a 76 player when you are controlling them, doesn't it just come down to how good you are? Or am I missing something here?
It's not all about the overall. It's about finding players to suit whatever system you are trying to run. For example, I play with quick inverted wingers who can finish, so Januzaj played ahead of Mata on the right hand side and Valencia (despite being a 79/80) is bloody useless. Some stats distort the 'overall' more than others.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams

• Winning the Champions League multiple times with Allmänna Idrottsklubben (starting in Sweden 2nd Div )

I'm currently playing a save in Brazil were i've set the challenge that I must accept any bids made for my players over their value and see how long I can keep winning before getting sacked.
Out of curiosity how long does it take to play 40+ seasons?

Shoei

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 26, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Out of curiosity how long does it take to play 40+ seasons?

Depends on how many leagues you have running and at what level detail. I can normally a full 38 league game season in around 8 hours with I think 15 leagues - England, Spain, France, Germany, Italy, Brazil, Argentina always full detail then depending on what continent i'm focusing on i'll run additional leagues E.g Uruguay, Chile, Mexico, Colombia etc if I'm doing South America.

I can't say I've timed it but I'd guess it probably takes 4-6 months if I get to play a couple of nights/ and all weekend.

It took some guy 58 days to simulate 1000 seasons.

cereal_guy_spitting-1024x667.jpg

Damn Shoei! I suddenly feel inadequate. :p

I guess playing journeyman careers would help keep the hunger and challenge there. I usually just stick with one club and try to build up a dynasty.

Back