The football video games thread

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Had a tough run in my last play last night.

Drew 0-0 with Southampton at home after 25/19 to 4/1 or something. Then played Benfica away in last 16 first leg, four days later won that 2-0. Pretty convincing.

Then I had to play Liverpool only three days later, who beat me every time I play them. Yet to beat them in I think 5 or 6 games. Things were going great until 81st minute, they get a pen. It's saved! Then they get another free kick around 87th minute, and they score. They won 1-0, which took them top.

Next up was Everton in the FA Cup 5th round, beat them on pens. 31/22 - 7/3 my strikers can't finish, it's a joke. Three days later, the Carabao Cup Final vs Liverpool. Ended up winning 3-1! Didn't deserve to, think it was 17/11 - 10/6. Glad to beat them finally, and in a game where I get a trophy!

Next up it's Chelsea and then the second leg vs Benfica. Relentless.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Never been more dejected or upset at a game ever until last night. Heartbreak, despair, and anger all filled my veins. I felt shattered. Not even Mrs Cruyff could make the pain go away.

MD38. I start the day on top of the table. I am playing Man United, away, who are three points behind me but are ahead on GD by about 15. If I draw, I win the league. I made it hard for myself because I drew on MD37 - at home - against Leeds where I dominated the game and should have won.

So I start the game against United. Taken a safe approach, playing for a point. I dominated the first half, things were looking good, thought I might be able to grab a goal. Encouraged the boys at half time to do it for the fans.

Second half begins, and they score in the 51st minute. I keep creating chances, and I had a chance to equalise in the 92nd minute. De Gea ******* stopped Jovic's shot from about 4 yards. I finished second, equal on points, but lost the league on ******* GD. The match stats were in my favour 17/3 - 17/8. ******* bullshit.

What made it worse as well is that the pricks beat me three days earlier in the CL semi. But they lost the final to Liverpool.

Shattered. Absolutely shattered.

* I love this game.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
So after my narrow defeats last season, I knew I needed to strengthen.

I only won the Carabao Cup, finished second in the league on GD, semis of the FA Cup and CL, so not really a terrible season. A season of being so close, yet so far though.

Coly is an 18 year old who looks to have a fair bit of potential. If Haland doesn't work out, I can make a tidy profit, hopefully. He has great physical stats, and is a pressing forward, so a different type of forward I don' have in my squad. Burnley got relegated and I thought it would be a good opportunity to add to my English quota, so picked up Tarkowski for some depth. Sancho is too good to turn down even at 71m, and being English only amplifies it. Really needed a better CB and Kimpembe being listed worked out beautifully. Piatek has come in to hopefully solve my forward woes after selling Auba, and Aarons was listed, also English and lots of potential, so another no brainer. Still got 22m in the bank, but not sure if I'll sign anyone in Jan - will see how the season pans out if I need to strengthen.

I was finally able to move Mhki with having to only pay 60k of his wage which is a huge winner. It was hard selling Kos because of his influence, but I decided to cash in. Would have liked more for Zivkovic, but he was disappointing so he had to go. Nketiah, Lankester, ESR, and Willock will all benefit from loan moves again. Mavro included in the Piatek deal for a loan. Will look to sell upon return. Jovic was massively disappointing, but I made 7.5m profit, just unfortunate he had to stay in England. Inter had a bid accepted but the prick refused a contract.

United went nuts. Bought Ousamane Dembele for 95m, Aouar from Lyon for 76m. Madrid signed Laporte for 96m (Varane joined City for 115m in Jan). I think Leon Bailey joined Spurs too for 71m.

Screen Shot 2019-05-26 at 8.59.25 pm.png

Squad looks like this. Nelson returns from loan and already provides great cover for the right wing, AMN also comes back as a utility. Tymon spent the season on loan at Bristol City and after releasing Monreal, he is now the backup LB. Chambers is surprisingly solid and can fill it at RB or CB - will most likely use him at CB after the addition of Aarons. Plenty of depth at LW with Sancho, Grealish, Iwobi - and even Felix if I am desperate. Happy to have a big squad, with injuries and competitions it's always useful and even fringe players get a lot of playing time.

Screen Shot 2019-05-26 at 8.56.16 pm.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-26 at 8.58.41 pm.png

I line up like this

Leno
Bellerin De Ligt Kimpembe Tierney
Torreira
Gedson Rabiot
Chiesa------------------------Sancho
Piatek​

Gedson was great last season, scored 11 goals in the league from CM which I thought was pretty good considering his finishing is only 9, and his long shots are only 11.

Drew the first game of the season away to Everton, 1-1.

Last edited:

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
In most FMs I usually have a save where I choose a National League North/South team and take them as far as I can. Started it over the weekend with York City this time. Chose them because York is a pretty big and obviously historical city whose premier football team is playing in the National League North. THey also suffered back to back relegations from the football league a few years ago, which means they have professional status and a few other perks that some of the 'smaller' clubs don't. Just finished the first season and went up as Champions. Hopefully a season of consolidation next before trying to get promoted again.

The other reason I'm posting this is because in that season Spurs did a domestic double, winning the PL and the League Cup, and they also made it to the final of the FA Cup, but lost. Incidentally, both cup finals were against Liverpool! It seems FM can't split them ahead of the weekend.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Up to end of Jan third season, sitting in second. 9 points behind Liverpool, who have W22 D1 L0. It is ridiculous, and they are at the point where they are pretty much unstoppable. In all my FM years I don't recall seeing a better team. Don't actually get how I am going to beat them/win the league. Thinking of splashing money on Oblak, but even then Leno isn't even that bad. It's frustrating that despite having good forwards, they still struggle to put the ball in the net, and keepers turn into Superman regularly.

I signed Upemacano for 25m after unsettling him before the beginning of the season. Bought in Gravenberch too for 3m who was also listed. Flicked 33 year old Sokratis to somewhere in China for 24m. Haland also out on loan to Middlesbrough - my feeder club.

Magma was Gravenberch good for you? Solid stats for an 18 year old, kinda hard to turn down at that price.

Leno
Bellerin De Ligt Upemacano Tierney
Torreira
Gedson Rabiot
Nelson-------------------------Sancho
Piatek
Nelson has been pretty good, him or Chiesa generally start on the right. Gedson likes a goal despite only his 9 finishing. Guendouzi is a like for like replacement who has scored 8 goals. Sancho has hit 10 goals too which has been handy. Piatek hasn't been bad, has 10 goals in 19 league games - 4 pens. Lukaku and Salah leading the charts with 18 or something ridiculous.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
Up to end of Jan third season, sitting in second. 9 points behind Liverpool, who have W22 D1 L0. It is ridiculous, and they are at the point where they are pretty much unstoppable. In all my FM years I don't recall seeing a better team. Don't actually get how I am going to beat them/win the league. Thinking of splashing money on Oblak, but even then Leno isn't even that bad. It's frustrating that despite having good forwards, they still struggle to put the ball in the net, and keepers turn into Superman regularly.

I signed Upemacano for 25m after unsettling him before the beginning of the season. Bought in Gravenberch too for 3m who was also listed. Flicked 33 year old Sokratis to somewhere in China for 24m. Haland also out on loan to Middlesbrough - my feeder club.

Magma was Gravenberch good for you? Solid stats for an 18 year old, kinda hard to turn down at that price.

Leno
Bellerin De Ligt Upemacano Tierney
Torreira
Gedson Rabiot
Nelson-------------------------Sancho
Piatek
Nelson has been pretty good, him or Chiesa generally start on the right. Gedson likes a goal despite only his 9 finishing. Guendouzi is a like for like replacement who has scored 8 goals. Sancho has hit 10 goals too which has been handy. Piatek hasn't been bad, has 10 goals in 19 league games - 4 pens. Lukaku and Salah leading the charts with 18 or something ridiculous.
i had him in the side at 16. he's really, really good. 5 goals in 10 league starts. he's valued at 11.25 mil as a 17 year old now.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
i had him in the side at 16. he's really, really good. 5 goals in 10 league starts. he's valued at 11.25 mil as a 17 year old now.
Wow.

He is a backup/depth option for me. Now you've just given me the idea to potentially send him out on loan for the rest of the season. Not sure what to do now. Hm.

Shoei

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 26, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Up to end of Jan third season, sitting in second. 9 points behind Liverpool, who have W22 D1 L0. It is ridiculous, and they are at the point where they are pretty much unstoppable. In all my FM years I don't recall seeing a better team. Don't actually get how I am going to beat them/win the league.

There was one FM (2009 i think) where the United team would only lose 1 or 2 games (nearly always only to me) and finish with 30+ leagues wins until Ronaldo retires. You almost always had to have the perfect season to win the league. They also alternated winning the CL with Barcelona each season for something like 10 seasons.

Seriously if a guy is worth 2mil and I put him up for transfer. I want like 5 teams coming in offering to pay that. These 100k offers and me having to pay all the wages sucks. Patch this.

FM has always struggled with getting the balance on Transfers right:

You: "Your player that's worth 5mil; would you sell him for 8mil?"

FM: "30mil".

you: "ok....how about 11mil + 5mil in addons?"

FM:"30mil + 25mil over 6 months. Non-negotiable" :moustache:.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
What’s everyone’s tips to break a form slump? Currently 5 without a win but sitting 3rd on the table. Happy with my formations 3421 and 442 diamond and have switched it up during and between games but can’t seem to get that elusive win

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
What’s everyone’s tips to break a form slump? Currently 5 without a win but sitting 3rd on the table. Happy with my formations 3421 and 442 diamond and have switched it up during and between games but can’t seem to get that elusive win
Drop your players who aren't performing.

Do aggressive team talks to fire them up, I always use the shouts "get creative" and "show some passion", to which my players respond the best to. And "demand more" if they are really s**t.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Drop your players who aren't performing.

Do aggressive team talks to fire them up, I always use the shouts "get creative" and "show some passion", to which my players respond the best to. And "demand more" if they are really ****.
I read too much into my assistants team talk recommendations I think. Because we are punching above our weight he says don’t be too hard on them

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bit different when you’re favourite most games though. I’m tipped to finish 14th so I don’t want to lose my players when I go off at them. Also didn’t get a response when I aggressively told them to cancel their day off the next day

Back