kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
Anyone ever successfully played a libero formation
Is that like a sweeper? Sweeper is the one position on FM I've never used.

I also don't get some of the new roles they've added recently, particularly in CM. I have no idea what a Mezzala, Segundo Volante, or Carrilero are, nor how to use them.

Actually, on this, what are people's favourite FM formations and tactics to use?

Personally, I've never been able to get a defensive, stand-off system to work with any consistency. I usually always revert to pressing really high and playing a direct with a high tempo in a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1. This York City save that I'm playing atm is, from what I can remember, the only time I've got a 4-4-2 and a team without playing without a high line to work successfully as well. Every other time I've tried defensive systems, I've always ended up getting the sack haha.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
Libero is particular role invented in Italy in the early days of the professional game and made famous by Franz Beckenbauer and the West Germany teams of the 70s. They are basically a sweeper at CB while also being a ball playing defender that has license to carry the ball forward when in possession.

The official FM website actually had breakdown of how to implement the position a couple of weeks ago
https://www.footballmanager.com/the-byline/how-utilise-libero-wednesday-wisdom

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal

I also don't get some of the new roles they've added recently, particularly in CM. I have no idea what a Mezzala, Segundo Volante, or Carrilero are, nor how to use them.

Actually, on this, what are people's favourite FM formations and tactics to use?

Personally, I've never been able to get a defensive, stand-off system to work with any consistency. I usually always revert to pressing really high and playing a direct with a high tempo in a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1. This York City save that I'm playing atm is, from what I can remember, the only time I've got a 4-4-2 and a team without playing without a high line to work successfully as well. Every other time I've tried defensive systems, I've always ended up getting the sack haha.
You do realise that it provides descriptions in game of each role?

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
You do realise that it provides descriptions in game of each role?
Haha yeah of course, but there's a difference between reading what it says there and then understanding how it works in a given system, formation or tactical style.

For example, take the Half-back or Regista roles, they're not going to be very useful in teams that sit back and aren't dominating possession.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Onto season 4 of FM.

Won the Community Shield vs Liverpool on penalties. Always good to get one over them considering how dominant they are in my file.

Have won my first three games against Palace (3-0), Fulham (2-1) and Liverpool (2-1). Dominated all games and really should have destroyed Fulham. Think I had 26/10 or something.

Signed two regens - one for 8m (a Portuguese CM from AM), another for 22m (English striker from Southampton), and Sessengon for 18m after he requested a transfer because I rustled his jimmies.

I've got three more regens - all strikers - coming in January as they're all under 18, so might move off Piatek and Lacazette to make room for them. Definitely got a little overzealous lol.

I've realised there is no point sitting back against the good sides, with my tactics anyway. I go at them and it generally works better than trying to play on the counter.

Last edited:

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC

It's a useful CB in a 3 man defense. With one of the 3 stepping into midfield. I'm going to try it with Sunderland who are still League One in season 3.

Just lost my first game using it 2-1 but it was an unlucky defeat. Had a good goal disallowed and then lost to a penalty that my keeper got a hand to. Played pretty well apart from Lee Cattermole with everyone 6.7 or above even the Libero Max Broughton.

Pretty pumped for the Libero formation, Broughton is a natural for it and I've managed to bring in Foyth on loan too who will be great at it. Also got in Reece Oxford on loan. Can't think of the other signings off the top of my head

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Libero is particular role invented in Italy in the early days of the professional game and made famous by Franz Beckenbauer and the West Germany teams of the 70s. They are basically a sweeper at CB while also being a ball playing defender that has license to carry the ball forward when in possession.

The official FM website actually had breakdown of how to implement the position a couple of weeks ago
https://www.footballmanager.com/the-byline/how-utilise-libero-wednesday-wisdom
This is the article that drove my want to play it

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
It's a useful CB in a 3 man defense. With one of the 3 stepping into midfield. I'm going to try it with Sunderland who are still League One in season 3.

Just lost my first game using it 2-1 but it was an unlucky defeat. Had a good goal disallowed and then lost to a penalty that my keeper got a hand to. Played pretty well apart from Lee Cattermole with everyone 6.7 or above even the Libero Max Broughton.

Pretty pumped for the Libero formation, Broughton is a natural for it and I've managed to bring in Foyth on loan too who will be great at it. Also got in Reece Oxford on loan. Can't think of the other signings off the top of my head
Oh, right, yeah. I'm thinking of earlier FMs where you could actually play a sweeper in about three different roles. I only just realised last night that selecting a player as sweeper isn't possible anymore. Is that new to 19, because I seem to remember it being there in 17, and I didn't play 18.

Haha I reckon if i was playing as Sunderland, my first order of business would be to sell Cattermole, but I guess he might be decent at that level.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Oh, right, yeah. I'm thinking of earlier FMs where you could actually play a sweeper in about three different roles. I only just realised last night that selecting a player as sweeper isn't possible anymore. Is that new to 19, because I seem to remember it being there in 17, and I didn't play 18.

Haha I reckon if i was playing as Sunderland, my first order of business would be to sell Cattermole, but I guess he might be decent at that level.
Yeah new this year.

He is pretty average still but he is one of the team leaders and well liked so I didn't want to just turf him out. I will be replacing him for sure going forward. I've got a heap of better CMs too, this guy called Max Power who is also an original player for them is better suited.

You know who is great that you may or may not know who is quality at L1 and Champ level, Paris Maghoma from Spurs youth. Signed him on a free for Preston as an 18 year old. Put him into my youth side season 2 and by January/February he was into my first team. After leaving Preston for Sunderland I scouted him and they said i could get him for 250k so I've got him and plan on building my Sunderland side around him

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
That’s a good point about it being a bit paradoxical.

It’s not like I’m a numpty when it comes to playing either. I know how to keep the ball and create opportunities. I also don’t expect it to always be easy against a low ranked team in certain conditions but there just needs to be a bit more of a balance is all and somehow remove the scripting bs that seems to favour the AI. Then it would be incredible.
Who do you sign in your ML when first starting?

Have brought in Mukiele so far and Teixera (a made up player - 78 rated CM who is 19).

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Halfway through the League 2 season with York, where I was expected to struggle to avoid relegation, and I'm sitting in the playoff positions, three points off auto promotion spots, and with a genuine chance to make it three promotions in three seasons. I genuinely don't know how it's happening tbh. Had a slow start, and one of my team leaders complain about the dressing room atmosphere, yet with a slight tactical tweak I went on a winning run and the confidence just kept on building. Helps that both CFs are in the top 3 or 4 of league scorers as well, so I'm never short of goals.

Interestingly enough, I went up with Billericay from National League North and the National League, and they're sitting 2nd in the League now. Maybe it's just that League 2 is s**t.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lost my first three games of the season with my Libero formation. Have moved to my trusted 442 narrow diamond and won 5 in a row and drew my last game. Up to 2nd in the table.

Going to raid PNE again in the summer. One of my FM17 favourites Rafael Barbosa who I signed on a Bosman before leaving for Sunderland has been transfer listed for 4m and my old gun young striker Gobe Gouano is unhappy and gettable for 2.2m, I know both are very good for the Championship level so they're bound to be very good in L1

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Funny enough, since I complained, the game has been fairly good haha.

I’ve signed Fekir, Perisic and Javi Martinez for Arsenal at the moment.
I went a bit berserk in the market :sweatsmile:

Kola + 16m for Mbappe :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
23m for VVD
Gomis on a free
Nkhiate (not sure if real or not, but signed on a free)
Gnagnon from Sevilla
Mukiele on a free
Teixeira (made up player, 78 rated 19 yo CM)
Martial 11m
Tousart 4m

Leno
Bellerin VVD Kos Nkhiate
Torreira
Teixera Ramsey
Mbappe-------------Martial
Auba
Laca
Mhki
Ozil
Gomis
Tousart
Guendouzi
Monreal
--
Nkhiate
Sokratis
Gnagnon
Welbeck

Depending arrows, I include Laca or Ozil and alter formation slightly to accommodate.

As unrealistic as it is, I enjoy being able to sign players I could never sign.

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus, Arsenal, OKC, Avalanche
I went a bit berserk in the market :sweatsmile:

Kola + 16m for Mbappe :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
23m for VVD
Gomis on a free
Nkhiate (not sure if real or not, but signed on a free)
Gnagnon from Sevilla
Mukiele on a free
Teixeira (made up player, 78 rated 19 yo CM)
Martial 11m
Tousart 4m

Leno
Bellerin VVD Kos Nkhiate
Torreira
Teixera Ramsey
Mbappe-------------Martial
Auba
Laca
Mhki
Ozil
Gomis
Tousart
Guendouzi
Monreal
--
Nkhiate
Sokratis
Gnagnon
Welbeck

Depending arrows, I include Laca or Ozil and alter formation slightly to accommodate.

As unrealistic as it is, I enjoy being able to sign players I could never sign.
Talk about cheap - 23m for VVD from Liverpool is a steal

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Talk about cheap - 23m for VVD from Liverpool is a steal
Turns out I didn't save my game so I had to do it all again.

But, it worked out for the better.

Leno
Bellerin VVD Koulibaly Nkhiate
Torreira
Milinkovic-Savic Teixera
Mbappe----------------------Martial
Auba

Lacazette
Ramsey
Guendouzi
Carrasco
Tousart
Mukiele
Gnagnon
-
Iwobi
Monreal
Sokratis
Kos
Mustafi

2m + Ozil for Koulibaly
5m + Mhki for VVD
14m + a player for Savic
2m + Welbeck for Carrasco

So unrealistic, but don't even care. Just want to have fun with this side.

Need a RW as backup and another striker, but that will come with time. still got 35m to spend, and 22m wage budget.

Really want to bring in Bernardo Silva, David Neres, Embolo and some regen striker who is only 21 but his attack is 82 and finishing 84.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Turns out I didn't save my game so I had to do it all again.

But, it worked out for the better.

Leno
Bellerin VVD Koulibaly Nkhiate
Torreira
Milinkovic-Savic Teixera
Mbappe----------------------Martial
Auba

Lacazette
Ramsey
Guendouzi
Carrasco
Tousart
Mukiele
Gnagnon
-
Iwobi
Monreal
Sokratis
Kos
Mustafi

2m + Ozil for Koulibaly
5m + Mhki for VVD
14m + a player for Savic
2m + Welbeck for Carrasco

So unrealistic, but don't even care. Just want to have fun with this side.

Need a RW as backup and another striker, but that will come with time. still got 35m to spend, and 22m wage budget.

Really want to bring in Bernardo Silva, David Neres, Embolo and some regen striker who is only 21 but his attack is 82 and finishing 84.
Isn't your on autosave? Mine saves every week

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
bok_party

Chelsea have won every game so far in the league, 16 straight wins. It's ridiculous!

I've agreed for fees for the following players to come in Jan as I am seriously lacking attacking depth;

O. Dembele
Lucas Paqueta
Artur
Rousillon
Tete

My LB (Niakhate) is too slow and gets roasted too often. He's getting the flick. Signed him for free and he's worth 10m so tidy profit if I can shift him. Rousillon is a LB, and I signed Tete because Bellerin is my only natural RB.

Excited to use Paqueta and Dembele.

Mbappe has been killing it. His finishing is deadly, and his pace is nuts.

Still want/need another forward. Auba/Laca just aren't strong enough, looking at Dembele, and Mariano Diaz who is listed. Really like the look of Wesley from Genk but currently not interested in a move.

Back