The football video games thread

Remove this Banner Ad

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
I love/hate FM. It giveth, and just as quickly it taketh away.

I spent some time this week feeling like a genius after headhunting some amazing scouts from South America a couple of weeks ago, who immediately stocked my team with cheap monsters. Three of them played in the next World Cup, and my 23yo Brazilian GK is now more or less the best GK in the world, and I'm turning down offers of 130m pounds from PSG and Real cos I think I can get more if I'm patient. (And cos I don't need the money more than I like having the best GK in the world.)

One of the other guys though? Jesus, he's a fictional character on a computer game and I still hate him. He was a phenomenal RB, and was probably among my best 3 players alongside my GK and my elite striker - but none of the other players liked him cos of personality/professionalism issues, he'd constantly get injured and start whinging about playing time when he was still only back to 85% fitness, he'd repeatedly try and start s**t against me in the change room despite the fact that no one liked him or listened to him, and he stupidly had a big Christmas season just before the transfer window where he was getting caught out on the piss the night before the game, which happened literally 3 times in the space of 6 games. I ended up getting jack of him. Managing this w***er was just taking up so much time.

Despite him being a beast, no one wanted him. I ended up selling for 35m just to be rid of him... but now I'm on the idiot end of the FM love/hate scale because no one will sell me another RB anywhere near as good for that price. There's a couple of regen wonderkids whose value is still under 10m, and despite spending a month agitating, talking about them, making offers etc, their clubs want 100m for them. For guys that aren't as good as my Brazilian!

It's the frustrations that make the genius moments special. But holy s**t the transfer system annoys me.

And just to complete the good, bad, ugly theme, heartbreak...

I got the reigning young footballer of the year to play for me. Two goals on debut, followed by a hatty in his second game... and then my computer crashed before I saved it.

I can’t complain too much I guess, it’s an 8yo MacBook and I have waaaay too many leagues in the save. And I’ve played FM pretty hard during our second lockdown and have only had 3 or 4 crashes, others at relatively insignificant times (or when I was losing!)

So that blew really bad.

---------

Question I wanted to ask - I've had the board take control of a transfer before, waaay back in my 2nd season when we were getting crazy offers for a guy I didn't want to sell. (When I say "crazy", I was being offered 7m for a guy worth 2.5m, but I knew the board were going to take 90% of it.)

But is there ever a point that they worry about finances and take control of selling players?

It's come to my attention over the last couple of days that I'm in the process of doing a Leeds/Fiorentina. In the first UCL season I played, you're getting these massive win bonuses - especially when I fluked my way through to the final (I got ******* smashed ). Some of that money was then converted into transfer budget. But for whatever reason - whether it's cos I'm an impatient negotiator, or cos the transfer system doesn't work as well as it should - I invariably end up turning transfer budget into wage budget, and as a result I think I've created a pretty unsustainable wage budget. Like Leeds and Fiorentina, our sponsors and gate receipts don't cover the bill. We were reliant on the UCL's rivers of gold.

Fast forward to my current season, and I missed out on the UCL, and then I got completely FM'd by Ludgorets (who even are they?!) in the final 8 of the Europa League.

I have enough in the bank to cover this season - but if I don't qualify for the UCL next season I'm in deep s**t.

So what'll happen? Will we just get a "change of owners" and an injection of cash back to 0? Or do the board start selling players from under you?

(sorry for the long post, I really wanted to ask this question - I'm sure there's a name for an "off shoot" save or a "part B" save in FM, but that's what I'm considering doing depending on the answer to the question. Despite all the hard work I've put in over 8 seasons, there's a big part of me that wants to see if I can pull a Fiorentina and have to start again from League 2.)

Last edited:

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
I love/hate FM. It giveth, and just as quickly it taketh away.

I spent some time this week feeling like a genius after headhunting some amazing scouts from South America a couple of weeks ago, who immediately stocked my team with cheap monsters. Three of them played in the next World Cup, and my 23yo Brazilian GK is now more or less the best GK in the world, and I'm turning down offers of 130m pounds from PSG and Real cos I think I can get more if I'm patient. (And cos I don't need the money more than I like having the best GK in the world.)

One of the other guys though? Jesus, he's a fictional character on a computer game and I still hate him. He was a phenomenal RB, and was probably among my best 3 players alongside my GK and my elite striker - but none of the other players liked him cos of personality/professionalism issues, he'd constantly get injured and start whinging about playing time when he was still only back to 85% fitness, he'd repeatedly try and start sh*t against me in the change room despite the fact that no one liked him or listened to him, and he stupidly had a big Christmas season just before the transfer window where he was getting caught out on the piss the night before the game, which happened literally 3 times in the space of 6 games. I ended up getting jack of him. Managing this w***er was just taking up so much time.

Despite him being a beast, no one wanted him. I ended up selling for 35m just to be rid of him... but now I'm on the idiot end of the FM love/hate scale because no one will sell me another RB anywhere near as good for that price. There's a couple of regen wonderkids whose value is still under 10m, and despite spending a month agitating, talking about them, making offers etc, their clubs want 100m for them. For guys that aren't as good as my Brazilian!

It's the frustrations that make the genius moments special. But holy sh*t the transfer system annoys me.

And just to complete the good, bad, ugly theme, heartbreak...

I got the reigning young footballer of the year to play for me. Two goals on debut, followed by a hatty in his second game... and then my computer crashed before I saved it.

I can’t complain too much I guess, it’s an 8yo MacBook and I have waaaay too many leagues in the save. And I’ve played FM pretty hard during our second lockdown and have only had 3 or 4 crashes, others at relatively insignificant times (or when I was losing!)

So that blew really bad.

---------

Question I wanted to ask - I've had the board take control of a transfer before, waaay back in my 2nd season when we were getting crazy offers for a guy I didn't want to sell. (When I say "crazy", I was being offered 7m for a guy worth 2.5m, but I knew the board were going to take 90% of it.)

But is there ever a point that they worry about finances and take control of selling players?

It's come to my attention over the last couple of days that I'm in the process of doing a Leeds/Fiorentina. In the first UCL season I played, you're getting these massive win bonuses - especially when I fluked my way through to the final (I got ******* smashed ). Some of that money was then converted into transfer budget. But for whatever reason - whether it's cos I'm an impatient negotiator, or cos the transfer system doesn't work as well as it should - I invariably end up turning transfer budget into wage budget, and as a result I think I've created a pretty unsustainable wage budget. Like Leeds and Fiorentina, our sponsors and gate receipts don't cover the bill. We were reliant on the UCL's rivers of gold.

Fast forward to my current season, and I missed out on the UCL, and then I got completely FM'd by Ludgorets (who even are they?!) in the final 8 of the Europa League.

I have enough in the bank to cover this season - but if I don't qualify for the UCL next season I'm in deep sh*t.

So what'll happen? Will we just get a "change of owners" and an injection of cash back to 0? Or do the board start selling players from under you?

(sorry for the long post, I really wanted to ask this question - I'm sure there's a name for an "off shoot" save or a "part B" save in FM, but that's what I'm considering doing depending on the answer to the question. Despite all the hard work I've put in over 8 seasons, there's a big part of me that wants to see if I can pull a Fiorentina and have to start again from League 2.)
In short yes they can take control and worry about finances. They can also like in your save accept what they think is an offer too good to refuse.

I think in your case if you don't qualify and the financial losses mount they'll start a firesale. If your lucky they may dip into their pockets for a cash injection. I've seen that happen before.

I wish there was a way to get a message in your inbox about clubs getting into financial difficulty so you can go and raid them.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I'm playing FM19 and this is by far my longest save yet. League One title. Championship Title. German Cup. Bundesliga. Portuguese Cup

Southend: 6 seasons. Back to back promotions. 15th then 7th, 6th, 6th in the PL.
Dortmund: Almost 3 full seasons. German Cup season 1. Bundesliga season 2, been over 15 years since they won their last league title. Quit with about 3 months to go in season 3 feeling a bit burnt out with the save when I was sitting 2nd but 15 points behind Bayern.
Anderlecht: Took over with 7 games to go and won the title after their manager got poached by Wolves.
Sporting Lisbon: Sporting haven't won anything for over 15 years but do have quality youngsters and decent squad. Sold off a lot of the quality players and moneyballed it to do extremely well. Lead the league for most of the year, but bloody Benfica won 20 out of their last 21 games with 1 draw to me in there and took the lead off me with 4 games to go. Managed to win the Portuguese Cup a week after the season finished.

After feeling like the save had run its race whilst at Dortmund I'm back into it and determined to get this Portugese title. Hopefully raises my profile enough to get either the PSG or Roma/Inter jobs as I want to go and win the title in those 2 countries. Monaco has won the last 3 Ligue 1 titles so the PSG job won't just be a walk in the park.
Okay so my journeyman save continues. 2nd season with Sporting and again Benfica are a best. Won 31 out of 34 games with 2 draws and 1 defeat to me. Won the League Cup but they knocked me out in the semi-finals of the FA Cup equivalent.

But the real story was in the CL. Board wanted me to finish 3rd in the group, seeded 3rd as well. Drew Real Madrid, Inter and Shaktar in the group stage. Found a decent direct counter attack tactic which I saved as a 3rd tactic but never used domestically and it was brilliant. Beat Madrid 4-1 and lost 3-2, beat Inter 2-0 and drew 2-2, beat Shaktar 3-0 and drew 1-1 and ended up finishing top spot. The 2-2 draw on the final matchday saw me score in the 88th minute and move from 3rd to 1st with that single goal!

2nd round got Schalke and they were having a bad season. Just sacked their manager prior to the 1st leg and spanked them 4-0 with my normal attacking tactics. Drew 1-1 in the away leg.

QF only brilliant sides are left so I just expect this will be it, end up drawing Barcelona. They aren't the beast they once were. Without a league title in 10 years. But still they go into the 1st leg (at my home) $1.40 favourites. Sit back and create 2 chances all game with 39% possession and I eek at out a 0-0, they only had 3 chances themselves. Off to Camp Nou and again I sit back and defend like a mofo. Get threw to HT and neither side forcing a save of note. From the kickoff in the 2nd half they score. Crossroads moment do I attack or stick with what is keeping us in it? I stick with the counter attack for another 25 mins and then in the 70th make a double changing and go to my attacking setup. 76th minute bang we are level and through on away goals. Before I can even go back to my counter tactic we add another one in the 77th minute. Tie over!

SF we end up with PSG. Again like Barca they've fallen off their perch to Monaco who have won the last 3 league titles. PSG are managed by Eddie Howe who is a bit of a rival of mine from the Southend days. Bastard got the Spurs job over me after I took Southend up back to back promotions and finished just 2 spots behind him in my first PL season! Setup the same way as with Barca and almost mirror the first leg. 2nd leg this time is at home and it mirrors the first. I've made it a complete non-event and the tie had gone nearly the full 180 mins without a GK doing anything of note. 87th minute we get a free kick and my Austrian wonderkid Rui Mota steps up and sends us to Wembley for the 2030 CL against Bayern.

Final comes at a great time with my whole squad back fit. My main decision is whether I start Rafa Leao who scored 20 league goals but just 1 so far in the CL. Or Erling Haaland who scored 6 league goals but 8 CL goals. I go with Haaland and it pays off in the 16th minute with him scoring the opener. My cautious setup isn't working as well as usual but my gun Brazlian GK keeps us ahead at HT with 3 or 4 great saves. 60th min and we concede a penalty. I try what I don't know if its a bug or not but I do it every time I concede one and I swear my keepers save more than they dont but I instantly tell the team to calm down. He saves it and I think it's destiny we are going to win the CL. Just 10 mins later and they equalise. 77th minute I bring Leao on to play at LW and he goes and wins it for us in the 84th minute.

I then go full Pochettino and decide there is nothing more I can do at Sporting and resign a week later. My contract was expiring in a month so I gave them the chance to get someone in sooner. Bloody long 3 weeks went by with no good jobs coming up. Thankfully Ancelotti retired and the AC Milan job became available. Managed to snare that after they finished 2nd in the league. Walked into a dressing room where 2 players wanted new contracts and were unhappy. One coming off a season with an avg. rating of 7.34 so he gets it, the other who is quite highly rated but coming off a 6.76 avg. rating I tell to * off and transfer list. Got 65m from Juve for him and along with selling another 5 deadwoods for 40m will work nicely with the 40m given to me to rebuild this group and add the Serie A to my list of titles.

League One, Championship, German Cup, Bundesliga, Belgian First Division, Portuguese FA Cup, Portuguese League Cup & Champions League

AngryRanga

Yo Yeah
Sep 6, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Toby Greene, Man City, Timberwolves
I'm in January 2024 of a Pentagon Save (start unemployed w/no stats, win the 5 continental championships). I've just landed a job with Western Sydney after starting my career in Malaysia, and their situation is really funky. They are basically running a youth academy as a first team, 13k under the wage budget. I've been managing in terrible leagues so my judgement might be a bit out, but some of these regens look pretty nice to me. Great situation for me, the team will naturally improve and I've got a heap of cash to splash around. Australia have gone as high as #28 in the world.

ripamonti.jpg
ruthven.jpg
skyba.jpg

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
I started a new save recently. My last save was my first go at managing Liverpool on FM20. I usually like to take on a smaller team and bring them up. I had a Leeds save and an Aston Villa save but both didnt go so well.

So I started a Liverpool save and despite finishing second in the league two years running and winning two League Cups they fired me after the end of season two. I just wasnt scoring enough goals though and I felt 4-3-3 wasnt working with just Bobby up front. The way Bobby plays in real life doesnt seem to translate too well on FM, particularly when he is alone up front.

So I started a new save but again with Liverpool and decided to change my tactics and go two up front. But my wingers far up the pitch in Mane and Salah and only two central midfielders. I needed a big time striker to come in and spent all my money on Lautaro Martinez. He scored four goals on debut, then didnt score forever but just after xmas he has 15 goals for the season.

Bobby works way better up front with a partner and has 17 goals. Origi is a weirdly a star and has 15 goals and Salah has 15 and Mane 11.

So with these new tactics we are scoring a bunch of goals which is good. We won the Community Shield, the Super Cup and the Club World Championship. We're still in the League and FA Cup and still in the Champions League. We are four points clear of City with two games in hand so have the opportunity to go 10 points clear.

Everything is coming up Milhouse. I've been down this road before though. I was 8 points clear of City in my last save and coughed up the title which led to them sacking me.

So I'll see how we go.

Havent really bought anyone outside of Lautaro Martinez. Spend small amounts on a couple of future prospects like Rayan Cherki and Sergio Gomez. Both wont arrive until next season.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Spend small amounts on a couple of future prospects like Rayan Cherki and Sergio Gomez. Both wont arrive until next season.

He's a good guy, Gomez.

He agreed to join my team as a free agent when I was in the Championship, which was a bit of a surprise. He's still with my team over 5 seasons later and has just obtained UK Citizenship.

Thing is, he doesn't even really play any more. Despite being promised to be an important player, he's been overtaken by new recruits over the last few seasons, and comes off the bench maybe once every 3 or 4 games. But he's such a good leader he doesn't care.

After 4 years he finally whinged about wanting more playing time, to which I responded "I think you're done here", and he begged to stay, ultimately extracting a promise that I wouldn't sell him. Still doesn't really care about playing though!

The only bummer is that no one has ever tried to buy him. That seems pretty par for the course with my Bradford City save though. I've won everything except the EPL and the League Cup - I've won the FA Cup x3, UCL x1, Europa League x2, UEFA Super Cup x2, Community Shield x1 and even the Club World Cup (which is a brutal tournament straight off the offseason, with only 3 subs available and games every 3 days.) And yet no one could care less about my team or my players. No one ever comes or your players unless it's to offer you $30m for your $100m keeper, even if you offer them up for less than value.

Going into the 29/30 season, all I want to finish the set is the EPL. I'll probably wrap up the save in 2-3 seasons or quit and go somewhere else. So I'm well past the point that you're making 4-5 upgrades every season.

I had one guy that I was really excited about. He was a massive upgrade on my left wing, which was my biggest deficiency. (The guy I have there is good, but he keeps getting injured, and he's a jerk - if he loses the ball and the right back goes for a dribble, he'll chase him down and just kick him. He got 4 red cards last season!) I just didn't quite have the money was all, despite using all the tricks, because even with $90m in the bank the club only gave me $19m in transfer budget. I managed to make it work though - it just couldn't go through until I sold my 21yo former wonderkid striker who pissed me off.

He was valued at $38m, and had been transfer listed for a month at $35m with a bunch teams interested and news articles about expected bids. They didn't come. I lowered the asking to $30m. Still no bids. When I lowered it to $26m, which was the lowest I could take to still afford the other player, the bids I started getting were for $15m now with $4-5m in instalments later on.

So because this game is ridiculous when it comes to transfers? My left wing went and signed with Barca at the transfer deadline instead :(

It's made this the most boring season ever, and I've gone down to "key highlights", because I'm just using the exact same squad that I won everything (except the friggen EPL) with last season.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
I always try to get Sergio Gomez, he bosses games from a Deep Lying Playmaker position and he's absolutely boss on set pieces. Absolutely whips in corners and free kicks and scores direct free kicks too. Always good for 3-5 key passes per game too. He's a star. Having said that he has always starred for me in three man midfields but with my current tactics, once he arrives he will be in a two man midfield so I dont know how he will go. We will see I guess.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
My journeyman save run its race by 2030 when I got to AC Milan.

Probably try one more save between know and buying FM21. Might start in the Dutch league with a club with very good youth prospects that isn't PSV or Ajax. Any recommendations? I did a Heerenveen save years ago on FM15 I think and that was good fun. Eventually got the Madrid job via Roma.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
I always try to get Sergio Gomez, he bosses games from a Deep Lying Playmaker position and he's absolutely boss on set pieces. Absolutely whips in corners and free kicks and scores direct free kicks too. Always good for 3-5 key passes per game too. He's a star. Having said that he has always starred for me in three man midfields but with my current tactics, once he arrives he will be in a two man midfield so I dont know how he will go. We will see I guess.
He is at Liverpool in my long term save on 19 (30/31), he is ridiculous.

AngryRanga

Yo Yeah
Sep 6, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Toby Greene, Man City, Timberwolves
Wow, remind me never to manage in the A-League again. What a load of s**t.

WSW board want me to finish in the top two places. The entire top 8 is extremely close (salary cap I'm guessing) so I'm either 1st or 8th, meaning half the time they want to sack me. I have a meeting regarding my future and two games later I'm top. I finish the season in 4th, 3 points from 2nd and 5 points from 1st. Keeping in mind I had literally 3 games in which I was winning until a 90+ equaliser. Including a 40 yard free kick which made me transfer-list my keeper.

Make it to the 4-5 final and lose on penalties. My transfer-listed keeper doesn't dive once. I am immediately prompted with a meeting, in which I beg for my job. They let me stay, but with a reduced wage budget. Jokes on them, I'm already locked into spending 10k over their limit through agreed contracts. We'll probably go and win the league next year with my Australia A side, if they learn to actually hold a lead. Then I'll leave because I hate this joint.

TLDR: suck my nuts western sydney.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boys... im 17 points clear with a game in hand with 6 games to play. If United dont win their next game I am champions of England. If I win my next game I am champions of England!

So far this season, my trophies...

Community Shield
Super Cup
Club World Cup
League Cup

The League is in the bag and im in the semi's of the FA Cup and the CL. Can I do it. Can I win every possible trophy ever to win all in the same season.

I've never had a season like this in all my years playing FM.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
Aug 11, 2006
Boys... im 17 points clear with a game in hand with 6 games to play. If United dont win their next game I am champions of England. If I win my next game I am champions of England!

Community Shield
Super Cup
Club World Cup
League Cup

The League is in the bag and im in the semi's of the FA Cup and the CL. Can I do it. Can I win every possible trophy ever to win all in the same season.

I'm in the same boat - I look like winning every single thing this season... except the league, which remains my bug bear. I'm 4 points off top with 8 games left, so I can still win, but I keep dropping critical points just when I have the chance to go top.

I think I'm falling into the trap of someone who has played FIFA forever, where you can easily keep topping up 21yos while selling your 26 year olds for huge profit. On FM if you keep topping up, you never reach your prime. And the transfer market - both buying and selling - seems like a total crapshoot.

Bradford City is, I think, the best squad in the league - we just lack the depth and consistency that I think comes with being a very young team.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
I'm in the same boat - I look like winning every single thing this season... except the league, which remains my bug bear. I'm 4 points off top with 8 games left, so I can still win, but I keep dropping critical points just when I have the chance to go top.

I think I'm falling into the trap of someone who has played FIFA forever, where you can easily keep topping up 21yos while selling your 26 year olds for huge profit. On FM if you keep topping up, you never reach your prime. And the transfer market - both buying and selling - seems like a total crapshoot.

Bradford City is, I think, the best squad in the league - we just lack the depth and consistency that I think comes with being a very young team.
Yeah you gotta have some experience in your team. Particularly some big game players who have the right mentality and personality.

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus, Arsenal, OKC, Avalanche

Community Shield
Super Cup
Club World Cup
League Cup

Really? It’s easy if you start with one of the big teams

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Also update lads. I've not just won the league I've crushed it.

34-2-2 for 104 points.

I broke the record for most wins, most points, most goals scored and biggest winning margin, 21 points clear of United who finished 2nd.

Community Shield
Super Cup
Club World Cup
League Cup
Premier League

All in the bag. I've made it to the FA Cup final where I will play Arsenal and after beating Juventus in the semis I've set up a champions league final against City.

Fingers crossed.

Jul 13, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
Decided to start a Barca save as my final one of FM20. Like it's being reported in the media, I sold off a few of the old guard...many of them at losses due to their insane wages:

Suarez > Man City for 30m
Rakitic > PSG for 20m
Rafinha > Lyon for 15m
Vidal > PSG for 20m
Matheus Fernandes > Sao Paulo for 4m

Still trying to sell Busquets, Alba, Neto, too and then once I've got all the funds, I'll bring in >23 talent, mainly Spanish, into the squad.

Messi hasn't complained yet, so I'm very wary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back