The football video games thread

Remove this Banner Ad

As and when I can upgrade my laptop I will invest in the latest FM. I had a career on FM2012 (yes, I know, blast from the past) where I took Stevenage to the Championship... And got ruined. As in like, I was sinking like a stone.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

I managed to get my Bradford-Celtic-Liverpool save back - I'm pretty sure the issue was with Steam, not FM.

Still, I'm seeing great things about the FM21 beta, and will probably end up getting it. It sounds like they've heard all those minor little things that would be so easy to fix and they've fixed them.

Am enjoying the new FM an absolute s**t ton.

Was disappointed to see we only had 4m in transfer budget, but managed to shift Ozil to United for 20m (lol), and pay half his wage. Cedric to Newcastle for 14m, Mustafi for 5m, Kola for 13m. Luiz handed in a transfer request as we did not qualify for the CL and I was more than happy to turf him. No suitors though.

Both Rose and Wijnaldum (12.25m!) were listed so jumped at both. Rose because I needed LB depth after getting rid of Kola (and being English always helps), and Stoke were being pricks about Tymon. Signed Marcus Edwards for 15m including add ons, absolute bargain considering his output so far, and he is English too. Snapped up Ajer from Celtic for 18m too and was playing him in my midfield three, but after signing Wijnaldum, I have shifted him to CB.

Auba is stupidly good and has 13 goals in 9 games in the league or something. Edwards at 5 goals in 5 league games with two assists. I highly recommend him for anyone, especially using an English team. Can play equally good on both wings (naturally right).

Leno
Bellerin Ajer Gabriel Tierney
Wijnaldum Partey Aouar
Pepe---------------------Edwards
Auba
El-Neny
Ceballos
Saka
AMN
Lacazette
Xhaka
Willian
--
Rose
Chambers
Mari
Saliba
Holding
AMN
Luiz
Papa

Finally was able to shift Papa and Luiz (for circa 3m each) in December, so I will be glad to have them off the books. I am looking to get rid of Willian, Chambers and Xhaka too as I have no need for them at all. Laca too as he is worth 50m and heading into the last year of his contract. I cang et Edouard from Celtic for circa 20m.

The new match engine is brilliant and the variety in finishes and goals is great to see unfold.

I like the fact they've added xG stats to FM.

Would be great to see the scores that spits out for some of the bullshit 1-0 defeats I cop when I have 34 shots and 15 on target!

I've never understood xG.

What is it exactly, in dummy terms?
xg stands for "expected goals" - its an analytical tool that looks at the likelihood of a shot going on based on the location and type of shot. Numbers for individual shots range from 0 to 1 and can be read as percentages (i.e. a shot with an xG of 0.3 should score 30% of the time)

Fair to say the injury curse has well and truly struck me going into my opening PL game in FM21. Long-term injuries to so many senior players means I can't fit Wickham and Tomkins in my 25 man squad.

1606212905994.png

settled on current hipster side bodo/glimt as my main save of the full game. some quality players in the side. bjorkan and berg in particular look like they would slot in at top clubs in europe.

also i needed a gk cos my current 2 are s**t so i signed released villa keeper nyland. excellent for this level, back in his homeland. damaged achilles tendon 6 days into his contract out for 5-6 months.

Last edited:
Slowly plodding my way through the Bradford City -> Celtic -> Liverpool FM20 save... I kind of lost some interest in it, so I haven't been playing much.

I joined Liverpool in December (2033) when they were in like 13th place, and we finished in 6th spot, but the way the European spots worked out (with the League Cup winner outside the top 6, Fulham winning the Europa League but finishing bottom half of the EPL, and Chelsea winning the UCL before finishing outside the top 4) we got screwed out of our spot. Didn't even make it into the secondary competition. In my first full season at Liverpool we finished 5th, qualifying for the Europa League and just surviving with my job.

But then in my second full season, with an average squad age of just 21... we won the EPL and the Europa League. It was quite odd - cos we'd gone so deep into the Europa League we always had games in hand in the EPL. So with the final games on the Sunday, we played our 37th game on the preceding Wednesday, and after game 37 it was the first time we'd been the lead all season (despite the fact we we had a "virtual" lead for 2 months before that.)

We went out of the FA Cup and League Cup quite early, but managed to get another 4-year contract. I've signed it... but I'm a bit sick of this now. I might do one more season to try and win the UCL, but it'll be retirement after that. (My goal keeper sucks. Despite having some good developmental prospects, none of them have kicked on to EPL level, and despite dedicating 7 scouts to a global search for my next beast under 21 'keeper, we've come up empty. Which makes it a bit easier to walk away, when you have one glaring hole that you might not be able to fill regardless of how much money you throw at it. I evidently got very lucky with the 'keeper I'd scouted for Bradford City out of Brazil in my very early days there - he went onto become the best 'keeper in the league and a legend of Brazil and the EPL who, at just 31 years old, had indicated retirement for reasons I'll explain in a moment...)

The fun part that's happened this season?

I was quite bitter about how I left Bradford City. As I've said here, despite promoting them from League 2 to EPL in 5 seasons, despite being reigning EPL/FA Cup champs, despite having won a UCL, 2-3 Europa Leagues and a couple of FA and League Cups, I ended up quitting over the board's refusal to give me 2.5m pounds to sign a jet player... a player that they signed after I left (and I've since unsettled and yanked out of there at a very good price, who's gone onto to become an elite player.)

Anyway, that Wednesday night game where I took the lead? It was against Bradford City. And despite all the success I'd brought them. All the riches I'd brought them. The bigger stadium, the improved youth system, the scouting, the massive coaching and scouting team... I beat them, and in doing so I relegated them.

I wondered if I should've felt bummed about that, cos I didn't leave them a sustainable EPL club... but I didn't feel that way for long. If they'd just given me that 2.5m, they'd have kept winning trophies rather than being relegated.

------

I recently discovered that there's a team in the 5th tier of German football called Tasmania Berlin... as a native Tasmanian, I'm quite keen to explore the available downloads to see whether I can find one where I start as a manager in the German 5th tier.

(If anyone knows where to find that download for FM20, please let me know!)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liverpool are monstrous in this, I lost the league on 91 points - they won it on 103. Insane. They were pumping teams with ease. I had a tough CL group - Juventus, Leverkusen and Bilbao. I was in big trouble after losing my first two games, and drawing the third. Somehow managed to win the remaining three and finished second - drew Barca in the last 16. Beat them 2-0 at home and then got dominated 5-2 away. They had 20 shots on target, Leno was having a blinder. I won the FA Cup, but that was it.

Liverpool bought both Sancho and Bellingham in the summer (after I unsettled Bellingham :rolleyes:), so I am going to be up against them again to try and win. Gonna be super tough.

Here is my team with ins and outs

Pires & Ilunga are regens - both 18.

1608420730877.png

1608420744672.png

1608420757655.png

Really happy to nab Gomes for 12m given that he is only 24 and English. ASM doesn't want a sign new contract, but hopefully he changes his mind and does so, he has been very good for me.

that no good bastard bjorkan had a cry i didnt improved defensive mid even though i have the best player in the division patrick berg playing there. transfer listed, 2.9 mil to hoffenheim with 20% sell on clause. goes at the end of the norwegian season at least so then i have time to get a new left back. sucks because he's excellent, was hoping to get a full season and then sell him for 5+ but whatever.

Doesnt seem realistic if you took over Arsenal and won back to back league title. :p
Hahaha, mate I spent a s**t ton of money and got rid of the s**t in the club lol.

Liverpool just way too good though. Liverpool won league and CL in 23/24. 101 points. Insane.

Be still my heart. My mighty Reds. What is their squad like now in 23/24 in your game?
Absurdly good. I managed to sign Gini first season for 12m. He was very tidy.

Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 7.08.00 pm.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 7.08.08 pm.png

These are Salah's stats.

Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 7.08.28 pm.png

They sold Mane to PSG in 2021 for 105m, and bought Fati for 62.5m as a replacement.

Just sold him season gone for 110m to Munich and bought Sancho from Barca 98 (rising to 121m w add ons).

Hakimi an 80m signing too. Bellingham 83m.

Absurdly good. I managed to sign Gini first season for 12m. He was very tidy.

View attachment 1030657
View attachment 1030658

These are Salah's stats.

View attachment 1030659

They sold Mane to PSG in 2021 for 105m, and bought Fati for 62.5m as a replacement.

Just sold him season gone for 110m to Munich and bought Sancho from Barca 98 (rising to 121m w add ons).

Hakimi an 80m signing too. Bellingham 83m.
How dare they sell my boy Sadio. Where is Hendo and Robbo?

Mo in decent touch haha.

How dare they sell my boy Sadio. Where is Hendo and Robbo?

Mo in decent touch haha.
Hendo just left on a free to Wolves. Was gonna sign him but too old and I don't have the room, he is 33.

Robbo is transfer listed at 30 years old, was gonna sign too, but don't need him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back