FTA-TV The Footy Show 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven't really watched an episode since 2013 when I watched weekly, turned it on a few weeks ago, my god has this gone downhill. Finally turned it off when some extremely cringeworthy parody of open mike came on, never watching it again.

The Lou tribute was great....although they were talking about World of Sport as if everyone knew what it was. It finished 30 years ago so a big segment of the audience would have had no idea what it was.

On a side note, World of Sport has now been off our screens longer than the show actually ran for. Ran for 28 years, been gone for 30. I feel old.

The Lou tribute was great....although they were talking about World of Sport as if everyone knew what it was. It finished 30 years ago so a big segment of the audience would have had no idea what it was.
There's not much to explain is there? It was a Sunday morning live panel show about sport, with comedic banter between the panellists. I'm too young to have seen the show, but I do remember Sportsworld hosted by Bruce McAvaney, which was followed by Rex Hunt's Footy Panel. I imagine World of Sport was similar to these shows?

Watching that segment firstly Lou what a fantastic talent he was.

Secondly they need new hosts in no planet would Hutchy and Bec be hosts of the footy it's just sad watching the footy show these days-it was such a staple of my week and now it's gone!

Seems like TJ and Lou were close. Does anyone know how or why they were so close? Are they related?

In his 15 minute tribute piece (just getting a 15 minute piece on Lou showed the legend that he was) on 9 news on Tuesday, Tony Jones explained that he saw Lou as firstly a father figure, and then in later life, Lou and Edna as grandparent figures.
When TJ started in the business, Lou took him under his wing and taught him the trade, much the same as he did with Sam.
TJ at the beginning of his media career was also part of the ghost writing team for Lou's columns.
They worked together for 30 odd years, from the early days in print media to the Sunday Footy Show and 9 news.

There's not much to explain is there? It was a Sunday morning live panel show about sport, with comedic banter between the panellists. I'm too young to have seen the show, but I do remember Sportsworld hosted by Bruce McAvaney, which was followed by Rex Hunt's Footy Panel. I imagine World of Sport was similar to these shows?

Sportworld was more a serious news / bulletin format. Rex Hunt was a bit more like World of Sport.
Sport mixed with comedy and entertainment. My memories of World of Sport were in the shows last couple of years, but I remember the cycling challenges they had and the wood chopping competitions. It was a bit like Hey Hey It's Saturday with a sporting theme.

It was a bit like Hey Hey It's Saturday with a sporting theme.

That is a good way to describe it! WOS was about the characters (Uncle Doug, Louie, Jack, Bobby, Gentlemen Jim etc.) just like Hey Hey was (Red, Ozzie, Dickie etc.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeez this has been the worst I've seen. Flat crowd, flat panel. It's just awkward. Gibbo sounds like he almost feels bad and tries to chime in to break the void in silence

Remove this Banner Ad

Back