Moved Thread The Footy Show v Before the Game

Remove this Banner Ad

In a provocative move that will instantly escalate the ratings stakes on Thursday nights, Channel Nine will shift their veteran sports-comedy franchise The Footy Show to a permanent primetime slot next year.

From the start of the next AFL season, the program fronted by Garry Lyon, Sam Newman and James Brayshaw will air each week at 8.30pm. The move means the show, entering its 19th year on-air, will be pitted against Ten's footy comedy, Before The Game.

I have been over TFS for several years now, and will happily shift my allegiance to BTG.

What do others care or think?

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/nine-shifts-footy-show-to-face-off-with-ten-20121128-2acvk.html#ixzz2DUXlLb64

It seems trendy to bag TFS, i enjoy it. In my opinion Sam Newman is f'n hilarious.

However i live in Sydney, so i will just IQ both and watch them whenever.

I like Sam.

Has his opinions like all of us, doesn't take himself to seriously and takes risks on television. It's what TV lacks nowadays, I'm one of few that love his work.

Strongly dislike Gary he's way to serious but maybe that's his role?

Thoroughly enjoy BTG too. Mick Malloy is a gem. Hate Lehmo the wank

Haven't watched TFS for years, and haven't watched BTG since it moved from not being before the game (just doesn't work on Thursday nights - needs to be in amongst the games, but impossible now 10 don't have any). Quite honestly I watch so little FTA TV these days (foxtel and torrents would be 95% of my viewing, and the same goes for a lot of people I know),.

Bring back Marngrook!!! Sam Newman and co are ******* morons and Before the game tries so hard but it can be difficult to watch.

My only wish is for the AFL footy show to be half as good as the NRL footy show. Is that too hard?

Not too hard, just keep dumbing down the AFL version and in a few years they'll both be as bad as each other.

I prefer the BTG method of having the guests on as individuals rather than a panel. They seem to be prepared (or forced) to show a bit more personality this way.

Bring back Marngrook!!! Sam Newman and co are ******* morons and Before the game tries so hard but it can be difficult to watch.
I like Samantha Lane's probing questions but find her unsettling, the way she turns side on and faces the person she is questioning.

I lost faith in TFS when I scored a table in the audience in the early 2000's and discovered that virtually everything on the show is scripted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO Newman is alot funnier than that try-to-be-funny-but-fail Mick Malloy.

Matty Lloyd joining Footy Classified next year also. Him and Caro should have some interesting discussions. Will watch.

Don't mind lloyed.

He's got a punchable face and an annoying voice, but his opinions are generally spot on

I have completely gotten over TFS and will watch BTG (if watching FTA)

Half of the people on TFS don't even have a clue about football nowadays and would look at you funny if you asked them who Joel Patful was. When it's good it's better than BTG but 3/4 of it is just boring and often cringeworthy.

At least on BTG the humour isn't centred around the presenters' incompetence and penis jokes. They also talk a little more footy.

Have to say though that Fox Footy will probably be on at the time

My only wish is for the AFL footy show to be half as good as the NRL footy show. Is that too hard?

funny on league unlimited they're always bitching about how crap the NRL footy show is and how it should be more like the AFL footy show...
I watch both every week and the AFL's show definitely has a better atmosphere about it, beau knows and sometimes small talk are the only good things on the NRL version

Moving it to 8:30 means I'll miss at least the first half. By the time teams are read out after training on a Thursday night I'm not home till after 9. I imagine plenty of others are the same

Was going to post exactly this. Usually dont get home till about 9.30 after footy training, meal and teams read out.

TFS will also have to be a bit more well behaved from 8.30-9.30, cant be as blue in that time slot.

Was going to post exactly this. Usually dont get home till about 9.30 after footy training, meal and teams read out.

TFS will also have to be a bit more well behaved from 8.30-9.30, cant be as blue in that time slot.

You don't have a VCR?

Just put a tape in? ;)

I have completely gotten over TFS and will watch BTG (if watching FTA)

Half of the people on TFS don't even have a clue about football nowadays and would look at you funny if you asked them who Joel Patful was. When it's good it's better than BTG but 3/4 of it is just boring and often cringeworthy.
Who?
Have to say though that Fox Footy will probably be on at the time
If they continue with this years programming, FF will have League Teams on at the same time as TFS and BTG next year.

Apparently Marngrook was too difficult to watch for most.

BTG is a great for a laugh. Much better material that TFS. I watched both, but now will probably watch BTG. In saying that, TFS is still good for a laugh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back