The Footy Show's 2019 format revealed (and other Nine AFL stuff)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Footy show: Where the footy "personalities" have no personality, the comedians aren't funny, and where barely any actual football is discussed. Long may it suck a big, fly-ridden pair of donkey balls.

"The comedians aren't funny"

That was only AFTER they sacked Trevor Marmalade all those years ago.

Garry Lyon Doesn’t like it. Oh no

It is not the same.

It can’t be called The Footy Show because ?...

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/f...p/news-story/43c2f869dd7ec48e8d26f2f696db3486

I hold Garry Lyon responsible for the demise of the Footy Show.

In 2015, it was one of its best years. Everybody was firing on all cylinders. Sam even seemed to give a damn.

But then Garry got up Billy's missus, and left the show. Brayshaw showed that he was Robin, rather than Batman, and failed as head host of the show. They then got in Rebecca Maddern, and seemed to tone down their humor, because "they are in the presence of a woman".

Hutchy came in, and while he wasn't as bad as I thought he would be, the show still struggled. He then got "boned" (to use Eddie vernacular) and replaced by Eddie McGuire, they scrapped having players on, got that turd Fevola to be on every week, scrapped the team line-ups for some silly graphic with only ins and outs, forgot to pay the lighting bill, and worst of all, stopped being funny.

I also miss how, after Garry left, they seemed to ditch the musical parodies and showing clips like Garry on a stretcher, "Ramming the point home" and other funny clips flashed throughout the show. Also, we didn't get any more "Big Billy's House". The unpredictability was gone from the show.

Garry Lyon, by thinking, not with his brain but something at the other end of his body, broke the band up, and sent the show into a death spiral which ultimately killed it.

he was crap on radio too, no different to anyone else on breakfast/morning radio mind you

Interesting fact. The original choice of host was actually Lehmo's replacement at Gold 104, Christian O'Connell, but he was overlooked for Lehmo.

I've met Lehmo and he is a nice bloke but this isn't revamping the show and Alcott would be more suited to a tennis program, something channel nine could produce separately from the Footy Show.

I thought that a way to revamp this would be to make it a similar format to "The Footy Show" but make it an all-sports show instead.

That way, they can joke around and discuss not only AFL, but cricket, tennis, A-league and whatever other sport they can think of. This would give it more places to go with the humor, and be a point of difference to "The Front Bar".

I thought that a way to revamp this would be to make it a similar format to "The Footy Show" but make it an all-sports show instead.

That way, they can joke around and discuss not only AFL, but cricket, tennis, A-league and whatever other sport they can think of. This would give it more places to go with the humor, and be a point of difference to "The Front Bar".

That is a possibility and it might work but its essentially a new show.

Talk of Neroli Meadows joining the Footy Show.

:fearful::fearful::fearful:

so a prime time version of Sports Sunday panel show? The problem with that is if people only follow 1 main sport, then they watch that segment and switch off.

I hold Garry Lyon responsible for the demise of the Footy Show.

In 2015, it was one of its best years. Everybody was firing on all cylinders. Sam even seemed to give a damn.

But then Garry got up Billy's missus, and left the show. Brayshaw showed that he was Robin, rather than Batman, and failed as head host of the show. They then got in Rebecca Maddern, and seemed to tone down their humor, because "they are in the presence of a woman".

Hutchy came in, and while he wasn't as bad as I thought he would be, the show still struggled. He then got "boned" (to use Eddie vernacular) and replaced by Eddie McGuire, they scrapped having players on, got that turd Fevola to be on every week, scrapped the team line-ups for some silly graphic with only ins and outs, forgot to pay the lighting bill, and worst of all, stopped being funny.

I also miss how, after Garry left, they seemed to ditch the musical parodies and showing clips like Garry on a stretcher, "Ramming the point home" and other funny clips flashed throughout the show. Also, we didn't get any more "Big Billy's House". The unpredictability was gone from the show.

Garry Lyon, by thinking, not with his brain but something at the other end of his body, broke the band up, and sent the show into a death spiral which ultimately killed it.

JB was a good solo host. Then choosing to get Bec Madden was the demise of the show let’s be real.

For me 06-15 was great significantly better than 01-05 when it was just Eddie using it as his soap box. 16 was good minus Bec and then let’s not talk about the last 2 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JB was a good solo host. Then choosing to get Bec Madden was the demise of the show let’s be real.

For me 06-15 was great significantly better than 01-05 when it was just Eddie using it as his soap box. 16 was good minus Bec and then let’s not talk about the last 2 years.

Yeah, but that stupid dog show they did in '16 for the first few weeks, where players had their dogs do tricks, was a trainwreck.

Rohan Connolly said the following on his podcast, not word for word.

Ch 9 obviously told Ed that the show needed a total revamp, Ed went away and came back some time later with: "ok, I've got it! Firstly, the I will still be the host, and....."
Ch 9 person: "eh, stop right there. Go away and start again"

I always thought Bec was ill suited, if they really wanted a women host I think they would have been better going with someone like Caro because she is totally football minded and would have brought the seriously football talking head to play along side Sam being silly or Shane being just Shane.

Crawford has emerged as the final piece in the Footy Show puzzle, with the Hawthorn superstar and Brownlow medallist expected to have a semi-regular presence on the new-look panel show.

Anthony “Lehmo” Lehmann, Brendan Fevola and Dylan Alcott will be the mainstays of the show along with a female sporting identity — tipped to be Neroli Meadows.

It really typifies the bubble that studio execs live in when they continue to think that Crawford and Lehmo are draws.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back