The forgotten rules

Remove this Banner Ad

In the back. Happens multiple times a quarter and only gets called in very specific instances, eg an extremely clear tackle in the back on a player that already on the ground, or a defender clearly pushing a forward in the back in a 1:1 contest.

In the back. Happens multiple times a quarter and only gets called in very specific instances, eg an extremely clear tackle in the back on a player that already on the ground, or a defender clearly pushing a forward in the back in a 1:1 contest.
Max Holmes scored a push in the back free yesterday, 10m off the play, while standing upright.
I was shocked. Especially within goal-scoring range.
I think it was our 12th goal if you want to check it out.

Nope. Still can't cross infront of the kick.

Rule 20.1.2.b

No Player shall enter and remain in the Protected Area unless the field
Umpire calls ‘Play On’ or the Player from the opposing Team is accompanying or
following within two metres of their opponent
. Any Player caught in the Protected
Area must make every endeavour to immediately vacate the Protected Area.

Rule 20.1.2.b

That’s for the protected area, which is the 5m radius around the mark.

You can’t run through the mark unless you are directly following an opponent who has done the same.

If you run through the mark to catch up to an opponent who went around, it’s a 50 meter penalty no matter how close. Sometimes umps give leeway if the kicker deliberately pushes back hard to force the player through but not often.

Giving the ball back straight to the ump or dropping it straight on the ground

Not allowed to throw it at another player. No matter how hard. Even a light throw at their back is a free kick.

Also can’t kick it well after the whistle even if it was just a boundary throw-in, it’s meant to be adjudicated same as a free kick in terms of that.

Also can’t kick it well after the whistle even if it was just a boundary throw-in, it’s meant to be adjudicated same as a free kick in terms of that.
I'm pretty sure it was Cameron who had this called against him recently, kicked a ball after it was out of bounds.

Was definitely a Cat.

Edit: And, to be clear, I'm not complaining, just observing that it did happen, and isn't completely forgotten.

Rule 20.1.2.b

That's the protected area. That's not the mark.

It was even clarified on SEN when they changed the rule to confirm that players couldn't do it

That's the protected area. That's not the mark.

It was even clarified on SEN when they changed the rule to confirm that players couldn't do it
I understood the question to mean the line between where the man on the mark is and the player with the ball.
And yes, it's implied that the following player has to take the same path as the player he is following (if that makes sense!). Taking a short cut through the mark when the other player has gone around the back has always drawn a 50 whenever I've seen it happen.
The protected area is an arc 5m behind the man with the ball and 10m either side of the 'line of the mark' (ie 20m wide). That 10m either side also extends to 5m past (ie 5m behind) the man on the mark.

I'm pretty sure it was Cameron who had this called against him recently, kicked a ball after it was out of bounds.

Was definitely a Cat.

Edit: And, to be clear, I'm not complaining, just observing that it did happen, and isn't completely forgotten.
Cumberland from Richmond copped a 50 for it on Saturday. Wasn't even a big boot of it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In ruck contests in the forward line, Hawkins, Walker and Dixon get away with multiple blatant shoves in the back every week

Last edited:
The one that annoys me that never gets paid is the rule about holding a player to stop them getting involved in the play again after disposing of the ball. According to the rules, it should be a 50m penalty, but never gets called.

Seems like 4 times per game a player crosses through the mark, never paid 50 anymore.
Anything else?
Give me four times this year where that has happened? I don't recall anyone actually crossing the mark and the player without getting pinged. I see plenty with the protected zone following their opponent but never crossing the actual mark.

Give me four times this year where that has happened? I don't recall anyone actually crossing the mark and the player without getting pinged. I see plenty with the protected zone following their opponent but never crossing the actual mark.
Just watch any game, and I mean any game.
I counted 3 times in the brissie vs Carlton game alone

The one that annoys me that never gets paid is the rule about holding a player to stop them getting involved in the play again after disposing of the ball. According to the rules, it should be a 50m penalty, but never gets called.

And thank god they stopped paying it. Made every holding the man free kick an instant 50. Discraceful rule.

With the 'back to the 9' rule I don't see much playing on from behind the goals getting pinged for a behind, since no one seems to need to play on from back there. I recall it happening to Maynard back in 2018.

Watching old highlights I kinda miss the "kick it to yourself" after a behind... not so much a forgotten rule as a replaced one though.

Paying 50 for holding on or preventing a player from getting the ball after a mark or free kick seems to have mostly disappeared

cant stand the human twister campaigners commit to hold up the game. so obvious when it's happening. umpires need to pay 50.

With the 'back to the 9' rule I don't see much playing on from behind the goals getting pinged for a behind, since no one seems to need to play on from back there. I recall it happening to Maynard back in 2018.

Watching old highlights I kinda miss the "kick it to yourself" after a behind... not so much a forgotten rule as a replaced one though.
If you have a mark or free and are outside the field of play they will never call play on (or a behind) unless the player clearly moves in one direction and then turns to another direction before entering the play. It very, very rarely happens so it doesn't get called often.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back