Mega Thread The Former Player Thread: Part 2

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
Zak Jones carry on after scoring a goal against Bell led to the Swans dominating the rest of the third quarter. He still can’t control his emotions and will cost the Saints. He’s not the brightest spark. However his run and carry is sorely missed at times.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Zak Jones carry on after scoring a goal against Bell led to the Swans dominating the rest of the third quarter. He’s still can’t control his emotions and will cost the Saints. He’s not the brightest spark. However his run and carry is sorely missed at times.
Was close to best on ground. I wish our players showed as much spirit as he does every week

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Healy must not have right info as he said he didn’t know why we gave up jones and was an interesting call?

Read in an article that St Kilda started “courting” Jones back in August 2018.

We didn’t “give him up”, he just didn’t want to stay.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
He wanted a bigger midfield role and he wasn’t given it here , plus he got more $

why would you stay

Not saying it’s right or wrong

Played a bit of mids last year just not as much inside.

Interestingly aside from clearances which he is around +2 per game, almost all other numbers were better with the Swans in 2019 (disposals, kicks, handballs, Marks, tackles, inside and rebound 50).

Edit: shorter quarters of course, but still it’s not markedly different

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney

Carlton has signed eight players, including an ex-Cat and former Swan, to join their brand new reserves side who will play in the new-look VFL and East Coast second-tier competition.
Former Sydney utility Ryley Stoddart, who played six games across three seasons including two games in 2020, joins the Blues along with Harry Reynolds and Cody Hirst, who were also listed by the Swans.

I'm assuming we'll go local with our reserve top ups.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Bear31 JackSwans couldn't agree with you more on BJ & his writing. I've been a fan of his pretty much since his first article appeared. He his, dare I say it, the type of AFL writer NSW football in particular needs and I wish we saw more of him during the season via a regular column.

In my opinion NSW footy overall, not just Swans, is in dire need for a greater imprint on the AFL media landscape, we need to have our voice heard from outside the usual AFL bubble.
BJ is in my opinion showing real promise in that regard.

Having read most of his work it seems obvious he's a step aside from the rather incestuous AFL media fraternity that flood the current AFL footy landscape.

Bear31

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
Bear31 JackSwans couldn't agree with you more on BJ & his writing. I've been a fan of his pretty much since his first article appeared. He his, dare I say it, the type of AFL writer NSW football in particular needs and I wish we saw more of him during the season via a regular column.

In my opinion NSW footy overall, not just Swans, is in dire need for a greater imprint on the AFL media landscape, we need to have our voice heard from outside the usual AFL bubble.
BJ is in my opinion showing real promise in that regard.

Having read most of his work it seems obvious he's a step aside from the rather incestuous AFL media fraternity that flood the current AFL footy landscape.
I agree. If Brandon wrote a regular column on the Swans website it would massively increase people reading the Swans website or any other publication likely to be read by Swans supporters.
The Swans website is so boring and uninformative. The Swans need to change their web presence so that it is relevant, up to date, slightly controversial, informative etc etc everything it is not. Tell us about their reserves games. Nothing. Tell us about the academy. Nothing. you have to go elsewhere to find any information.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
I agree. If Brandon wrote a regular column on the Swans website it would massively increase people reading the Swans website or any other publication likely to be read by Swans supporters.
The Swans website is so boring and uninformative. The Swans need to change their web presence so that it is relevant, up to date, slightly controversial, informative etc etc everything it is not. Tell us about their reserves games. Nothing. Tell us about the academy. Nothing. you have to go elsewhere to find any information.
BJ deserves a bigger audience that the Swans website, Bear. And NSW AFL footy deserve & need more journalists of our own in the main newspapers. The Guardian is a good foil for BJ because its not linked to anything with Murdoch. But the problem with the Guardian is they don't do weekly AFL stories.

Back