Mega Thread The Former Player Thread: Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Really hope he can make it back for the rest of the year, poor bloke has had such a terrible run since that bulldogs prick slid into his knees in the 2016 GF, never been the same since then.
19 games in the last 4 seasons, and missed a few with us as well. I'd be suing the AFL for their incompetent umpiring in 2016 that led to his injury. That moment ruined his career.

19 games in the last 4 seasons, and missed a few with us as well. I'd be suing the AFL for their incompetent umpiring in 2016 that led to his injury. That moment ruined his career.

I mean, it should’ve been a free kick. Bit their failure to award a free kick isn’t what caused Easton Wood to dive on that ball.

Is your argument that the umpires’ failure to award free kicks for the Swans in the previous quarters emboldened Wood to dive at Hannebery’s legs?

I mean, it should’ve been a free kick. Bit their failure to award a free kick isn’t what caused Easton Wood to dive on that ball.

Is your argument that the umpires’ failure to award free kicks for the Swans in the previous quarters emboldened Wood to dive at Hannebery’s legs?
That's exactly what I'm saying, if the umps had actually called the frees that were there to be called against the dogs, Easton Wood may have thought twice before sliding in and taking Hanners legs. There's obviously no way to know for certain, but the fact that the dogs got away with whatever they wanted to in that game meant that when Wood was faced with a decision as to how to attack the ball, there was nothing causing him to think twice before recklessly cannoning into Hanners legs.

Happens all the time in all sports, when umps/refs fail to control the match early when there are minor acts of aggression, tempers can flare over the course of a match and minor incidents blow up into all in brawls. Not saying the Hanners incident was about aggression, but the same thing applies, if the umps have put away their whistles for the afternoon, then all bets are off and anything goes.

He wasn't with us long , but one of the best blokes ive met at the Swans in Billy Picken has passed away , absolute ripper and star

Champion fella, terrific CHB and very funny man. RIP

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Terrific tribute to Billy Picken on the Swans site

It's starting to look like that back issue of Hewett is going to come and go his whole career. He started well but when they really need him he is absent. Starting to look a smart move letting him go.

It's starting to look like that back issue of Hewett is going to come and go his whole career. He started well but when they really need him he is absent. Starting to look a smart move letting him go.
You are a brave man saying that in these parts. If Georgie was confined to a wheelchair some posters on here would still say we shouldn't have traded him and he would make our current midfield better.

George Hewett is a better clearance player than any player in the current 22. Bad back aside he would be invaluable in an upcoming finals series. Would take him over Parker from a centre bounce clearance situation any day. Not half the Player Parker has been but unlike Luke he does not look like he is operating in ankle deep wet cement out of the middle. It is cut and dry what the problem is in the middle and that is the nimbleness up on their toes opposition and our sometimes balance of that and strength. If we had that balance,inconsistency during games aside we would win the flag in a canter. Bit off topic but all relevant to George. He’s gone and I understand the reasoning and support it but when I see the ball march out of the middle in the opposite direction I think if only we had George.

Last edited:
George Hewett is a better clearance player than any player in the current 22. Bad back aside he would be invaluable in an upcoming finals series. Would take him over Parker from a centre bounce clearance situation any day. Not half the Player Parker has been but unlike Luke he does not look like he is operating in ankle deep wet cement out of the middle. It is cut and dry what the problem is in the middle and that is the nimbleness up on their toes opposition and our sometimes balance of that and strength. If we had that balance,inconsistency during games aside we would win the flag in a canter. Bit off topic but all relevant to George. He’s gone and I understand the reasoning and support it but when I see the ball march out of the middle in the opposite direction I think if only we had George.
I loved George's game and I would have liked to keep him...

However I have long since conceded I didn't know what I was talking about and Horse & Co did! Surprising, isn't it?!

The current midfield group is very flexible and with a couple of exceptions, quick! Parker and Mills are not quick, and neither is George. Parker is a much better midfield/forward than George, and Mills is a much better midfield/back than George; both men bring well defined and acknowledged leadership skills to the role. George needed to be better than one of these boys to stay, he wasn't so he went. That is not to say he isn't good, or even excellent. Just not the best person available for the spots available in our team.

TheMase tried to tell me so (most likely with much better reasoning than I have given), but I wouldn't listen... too emotionally attached.

I wish George all the best for a wonderful career, and I'm a little sad it won't be with us, but I don't want him back.

His time here has passed...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back