Mega Thread The Former Player Thread: Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

This is what I currently have (BTW do we have the most number of ex-players currently playing for other AFL clubs?). Please feel free to add or correct.

AFL
  • Tony Armstrong (Collingwood)
  • Daniel Currie (North Melbourne)
  • Sean Dempster (St Kilda)
  • Trent Dennis-Lane (St Kilda)
  • Andrejs Everitt (Carlton)
  • Nathan Gordon (Richmond)
  • Campbell Heath (Port Adelaide)
  • Lewis Johnston (Adelaide)
  • Jed Lamb (Greater Western Sydney)
  • Shane Mumford (Greater Western Sydney)
  • Sam Rowe (Carlton)
  • Adam Schneider (St Kilda)
  • Jonathan Simpkin (Hawthorn)
  • Matthew Spangher (Hawthorn)
  • Dean Terlich (Melbourne)
  • Jesse White (Collingwood)
NEAFL
  • Ryan Bottin-Noonan (Sydney Uni)
  • Ryan Brabazon (Sydney Uni)
  • Aaron Bruce (Eastlake Demons)
  • Amon Buchanan (Hills Eagles)
  • Eugene Kruger (Hills Eagles)
  • Peter McGrath (Tuggeranong Hawks)
  • Matthew O'Dwyer (Sydney Uni)
SANFL
  • James Brain (Port Adelaide Magpies)
  • Ben Haren (Port Adelaide Magpies)
  • Andrew Hayes (West Adelaide)
  • Kane Murphy (Norwood)
  • Dylan McNeil (Glenelg)
  • Simon Phillips (Norwood)
  • Jackson Potter (Central Districts)
  • Byron Sumner (Woodville West-Torrens)
  • Josh Thewlis (South Adelaide)
Sydney AFL
  • Jason Saddington (St George)
VFL
  • Peter Faulks (Williamstown)
  • Jarred Moore (Werribee Tigers)
WAFL
  • Paul Bevan (Perth Demons)
  • Daniel Hunt (West Perth)
  • Mark Seaby (Claremont)
  • Kristin Thornton (Peel Thunder)

Good work with the list.

No one immediately springs to my mind. Luke Breust is an ex player but not an ex-AFL player... can't remember who we drafted ahead of him that year but it feels like a bit of a miss.

Good work with the list.

No one immediately springs to my mind. Luke Breust is an ex player but not an ex-AFL player... can't remember who we drafted ahead of him that year but it feels like a bit of a miss.

I think it was to rookie-list Playfair, which yeah, is a "bit of a miss". That said, Playfair is growing into an excellent coach, and it's unlikely he'd have started coaching at the Swans had we not kept him on the list until his body broke down (he'd have gone and played a season or two in the VFL or something most likely, and then gone on from there), so who knows? It's hard to quantify the influence of assistant coaches but arguably it's not too a result, if not the one we were expecting.

This is what I currently have (BTW do we have the most number of ex-players currently playing for other AFL clubs?). Please feel free to add or correct.

AFL
  • Sam Rowe (Carlton)
NEAFL
SANFL
  • Kane Murphy (Norwood)
  • Dylan McNeil (Glenelg)
Sydney AFL
VFL
WAFL
  • Mark Seaby (Claremont)
Does Luke Breust count? He played ressies for us. That miss hurts more than all others together?

Does Luke Breust count? He played ressies for us. That miss hurts more than all others together?
I suppose so, since I counted some scholarship players who never made it to any of our official lists. Grrr.

Saw Dan Currie take a great contested mark in the Norf-Carlton game (at least I'm pretty sure it was him). I must admit I like to see the players we had to let go continue to have good careers. For the most part these guys have given the best they could for the Swans and were only cut due to circumstances.

The only exceptions are guys who were delisted because they didn't put the hard work in or the "mummy's boy" players like Rocca who go crying back to Melbourne.

AFL
  • Sam Rowe (Carlton)
NEAFL
SANFL
  • Kane Murphy (Norwood)
  • Dylan McNeil (Glenelg)
Sydney AFL
VFL
WAFL
  • Mark Seaby (Claremont)

Buchanan not at Hills Eagles any more! Moved to a role in GWS development

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd forgotten just how hilarious Tony Armstrong was, but watching him against Richmond has reminded me

Haven't seen him in action, but he's not a player I was disappointed losing. Haven't seen him do anything to suggest he's AFL standard. Good luck to him though, it's a shame he couldn't make it at the swans considering how much he loved the club, but I don't see him making it to 50 games tbh.

(2) Tony Armstrong. He was worst on ground by a stretch. His offensive drive was non existent - oftentimes a direct turnover and a goal against - but his defensive work was even worse. He refused to stay on his man and got sucked towards the ball, constantly caught in no man's land. When he was near his man he was consistently beaten. He didn't put his head over the ball. He fumbled. His opponents just found ways to kick goals - sometimes his fault directly, sometimes not, but always his direct opponent doing the damage. We can't afford to carry him in defense. He's played himself out of a round 1 position based on that performance.

Didn't take long for them to notice Armstrong's not up to it. This is the general consensus over at the pies board

I don't think too many of us were expecting huge things from Tony, in fact I doubt most pies fans had him in their 22. It's good to know he's capable of a performance like that to be honest - makes a regular season berth a lot less likely.

The only way I see him making it is up the field. He didn't have much in the way of a defensive mindset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think too many of us were expecting huge things from Tony, in fact I doubt most pies fans had him in their 22. It's good to know he's capable of a performance like that to be honest - makes a regular season berth a lot less likely.

The only way I see him making it is up the field. He didn't have much in the way of a defensive mindset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly, from what I've seen of him, I don't think he'll make it anywhere on the field. He lacks composure, looks like he's always unsure of himself. He's the type of player that will become decent at 26-27, but I don't think he's showed enough to remain in the system for that long.

I really liked Armstrong's delivery on occasion. In general he was too timid to be consistently useful though. I liked everything about White except his marking and heart. Weak as piss for such an enormous unit.

I get a warm fuzzy feeling when I see Mattner still working with the club, still as passionate about the Swans as ever. Is it because I know his attitude will rub off on our younger players ? Or is it that I know he will always do his utmost for us ? There's something about this club that gets under a player's skin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back