Mega Thread The Former Player Thread: Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Please tell me how they could have possibly offered him a contract prior to knowing how much they had left in the cap. They were still waiting to finalise Heeney's contract.
They had an idea and offered him that, based on negotiations with other players, the way literally every other contract negotiation goes.

Again, do you think the club rebuffed Mitchell trying to re-sign and didn't offer a contract until August, yes or no?

Please tell me how they could have possibly offered him a contract prior to knowing how much they had left in the cap. They were still waiting to finalise Heeney's contract.

I personally reckon it went like this:
We offered Mitchell X
He says he needs X to recommit due to other offers
We say we need to secure other players before considering matching or beating said offer
We secure other players
We then offer what is left in the salary cap after other players who likely stayed for less than what was on offer but more than we anticipated (this may well have been a reduced offer, which is where all the reduced offer for Mitchell stuff would have come from).

That’s what I reckon probably happened with no particular evidence to support it other than what’s available in the media / on here.

They had an idea and offered him that, based on negotiations with other players, the way literally every other contract negotiation goes.

Again, do you think the club rebuffed Mitchell trying to re-sign and didn't offer a contract until August, yes or no?
No. Not a contract that had any hope of being accepted.
If you took the time to listen to Andrew Ireland you would know this.

No. Not a contract that had any hope of being accepted.
If you took the time to listen to Andrew Ireland you would know this.
Okay, so the Swans had been in dialogue with Mitchell before August, hadn't been ignoring him and had offered him a contract before then too.

Whoever talked to you was either misinformed of lying.

Apparently people are that naive. Just look at those that were saying that Lloyd was going to leave because he hadn’t signed. My info (I know his manager) was that he was staying and it was just playing out so Jake could concentrate on footy. People will believe what they want to read into it, not necessarily what someone in the know, has to say! As much as I wanted Mitchell to stay, there’s clear evidence that there was discontent between he and Longmire.

Thanks for your informative input. Now hopefully we can leave it alone to concentrate on what we have now!
Well, not totally correct.

Maybe Lloyd and his manager was willing to wait to see what was going at the end the year and maybe there was some noise about Rohan and Hannebery and voila more for Lloyd.

There are always a chance of a change in player contracts due to having more money Lloyd or less money Mitchell.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Well, not totally correct.

Maybe Lloyd and his manager was willing to wait to see what was going at the end the year and maybe there was some noise about Rohan and Hannebery and voila more for Lloyd.

There are always a chance of a change in player contracts due to having more money Lloyd or less money Mitchell.

Maybe you should have a read what I wrote all last year instead of coming on here and trying to diss. I’ll say it one more time (I’ll go that little further too)...I know Alex McDonald (Lloyd’s manager) extremely well, my wife grew up with him, she just happened to do her debutante ball with Anthony as her partner because they lived in the same ******* town! I played cricket with the lesser known Phil, James still works the farm. Now ironically, we live in another town, together, just around the corner. Lloyd was always staying, now can we just move on?

Last edited:
Okay, so the Swans had been in dialogue with Mitchell before August, hadn't been ignoring him and had offered him a contract before then too.

Whoever talked to you was either misinformed of lying.
You think whatever you like. I'm over it.
I made a post based on what i was told by who I believe are a genuine source. If you think they were not telling the truth, so be it.
I'm FINISHED talking about it.

Maybe you should have a read what I wrote all last year instead of coming on here and trying to diss. I’ll say it one more time (I’ll go that little further too)...I know Alex McDonald (Lloyd’s manager) extremely well, my wife grew up with him, she just happened to do her debutante ball with Anthony as her partner because they lived in the same ******* town! I played cricket with the lesser known Phil, James still works the farm. Now ironically, we live in another town, together, just around the corner. Lloyd was always staying, now can we just move on?

Good enough for Me. I could also solve the Tom Mitchell s**t because I have worked side by side with his Uncle Every day for 20 Years but seriously reading some of the tripe on here what would be the point Mick.

Last edited:
Good enough for Me. I could also solve the the Tom Mitchell s**t because I have worked side by side with his Uncle Every day for 20 Years but seriously reading some of the tripe on here what would be the point Mick.
Well said Wolfgang , they just don't get it. Some people know more than others and then you get the ones that believe the Tom Morris's , Barrett etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I made a post based on what i was told by who I believe are a genuine source. If you think they were not telling the truth, so be it.
If you had just made a post detailing what you had been told it would have been better than stating it as fact and using it to accuse the club of some pretty negligent behaviour, then getting pissy at someone pointing out there are inconsistencies.

I mean, that could be a lesson for everyone after the trade period. If you want to post something, do it, just don't get pissy if people don't eat it up word for word.

Good enough for Me. I could also solve the the Tom Mitchell s**t because I have worked side by side with his Uncle Every day for 20 Years but seriously reading some of the tripe on here what would be the point Mick.
Well said Wolfgang , they just don't get it. Some people know more than others and then you get the ones that believe the Tom Morris's , Barrett etc

Cheers guys, outside of the Lloyd and Newman news of last year, I don’t know anything else but I too get sick of others speculating on what some constantly update in posts (such as me). I think I’ll just keep s**t to myself from now on (if I hear from my club source...which is ‘less rather than more likely’) and share in PM’s with those that actually appreciate it!

Cheers guys, outside of the Lloyd and Newman news of last year, I don’t know anything else but I too get sick of others speculating on what some constantly update in posts (such as me). I think I’ll just keep s**t to myself from now on (if I hear from my club source...which is ‘less rather than more likely’) and share in PM’s with those that actually appreciate it!
The whole value f footy social media is the inside info. Diamonds in the s**t so to speak.

I understand you and Alex are close friends.

Just Devils advocate.

Was Lloyd offered a contract last year?

Did the contract figures change from the first to last negotiation.

Did Lloyd or Alex ask for more money?

"He's staying" is a useless term until he signs.

Was Dan or Garry "staying"?

There are very few absolutes in life.

Just Devils advocate.

No Thank **** !

The late great investigative journalist Paul Foot and one of the founders of Private Eye was once asked what was the secret of investigative journalism. He said it was people ringing him up and telling him stuff. You said its amazing the people you meet overseas. I just met a Port Adelaide supporter in General Santos City Mindanao. A place of very few westerners. Bumping into a Port Adelaide supporter is only marginally less scary than meeting a Abu Sayef . But interesting.

Just Devils advocate.

Well thankfully, I was absolutely right! Now I’d like to mention that there are a few others on here that are probably just as right and they definitely have far more insight than I. Unfortunately a lot of posters crack hard on them and that’s unjust and selfish bullshit, but hey, that happens in a workplace too.

Now to answer your questions, even though they’re one and the same, was there negotiation? Well, of course there was...wouldn’t you negotiate, or do you accept terms plain and simple?

It

Fair enough Mick. I was one who was convinced he was going to the GoCo. Meh I was wrong. Not for the first time.

It

Fair enough Mick. I was one who was convinced he was going to the GoCo. Meh I was wrong. Not for the first time.

Nothing wrong with being ‘wrong’ if you are told something that didn’t pan out. Something wrong if you question genuine info though! The thing that gets me is ‘why dispute it’? What gives anyone the right to call BS when they simply don’t know? Why question the facts when ‘they just don’t know’? It’s a game and it’s an immature one, leading to one-up-manship at that...that’s all it is! I’ll prove it by saying ‘my dick is bigger than yours’...yet I wouldn’t know!

Mitchell would never have finished as a Swan. Maybe we could have signed him for 3 years but he would have gone next contract. I’m not going to spell out how I know either.

Oh dear.

"If ifs and ans we're pots and pans, there'd be no need for tinkers."

Meanwhile I saw Hanners, Grohan as well as Rowe, Lamb and our Bullies Premiership player made the bottom 50 list.

Mitchell did not make it.

The late great investigative journalist Paul Foot and one of the founders of Private Eye was once asked what was the secret of investigative journalism. He said it was people ringing him up and telling him stuff. You said its amazing the people you meet overseas. I just met a Port Adelaide supporter in General Santos City Mindanao. A place of very few westerners. Bumping into a Port Adelaide supporter is only marginally less scary than meeting a Abu Sayef . But interesting.
Amazing. It truly is a small world.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back