The France attacks - debate thread (trigger warning)

Remove this Banner Ad

http://foreignlegion.info/joining/

In the 1960s and 1970s, the Legion had a new role as a rapid deployment force to preserve French interests – not only in its former African colonies but in other nations as well; it also returned to its roots of being a unit always ready to be sent to hot-spots all around the world. Some notable operations include: the Chadian–Libyan conflict in 1969–72 (the first time that the Legion was sent in operations after the Algerian War), 1978–79, and 1983–87; Kolwezi in what is now the Democratic Republic of the Congo in May 1978; Rwanda in 1990–94; and the Ivory Coast in 2002 to the present. In 1990, the Foreign Legion were sent to the Persian Gulf as a part of Opération Daguet. In the 1990s, the Foreign Legion helped with the evacuation of French citizens and foreigners in Rwanda, Gabon and Zaire. The Foreign Legion was also deployed in Cambodia, Somalia, Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina. In the mid- to late-1990s, the Foreign Legion was deployed in the Central African Republic, Congo-Brazzaville and in Kosovo. In the 2000s, the Foreign Legion was deployed in Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan, Operation Licorne in Ivory Coast, the EUFOR Tchad/RCA in Chad, and Operation Serval in the Northern Mali conflict[8]

I would think these guys are already to go again.

http://foreignlegion.info/joining/

In the 1960s and 1970s, the Legion had a new role as a rapid deployment force to preserve French interests – not only in its former African colonies but in other nations as well; it also returned to its roots of being a unit always ready to be sent to hot-spots all around the world. Some notable operations include: the Chadian–Libyan conflict in 1969–72 (the first time that the Legion was sent in operations after the Algerian War), 1978–79, and 1983–87; Kolwezi in what is now the Democratic Republic of the Congo in May 1978; Rwanda in 1990–94; and the Ivory Coast in 2002 to the present. In 1990, the Foreign Legion were sent to the Persian Gulf as a part of Opération Daguet. In the 1990s, the Foreign Legion helped with the evacuation of French citizens and foreigners in Rwanda, Gabon and Zaire. The Foreign Legion was also deployed in Cambodia, Somalia, Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina. In the mid- to late-1990s, the Foreign Legion was deployed in the Central African Republic, Congo-Brazzaville and in Kosovo. In the 2000s, the Foreign Legion was deployed in Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan, Operation Licorne in Ivory Coast, the EUFOR Tchad/RCA in Chad, and Operation Serval in the Northern Mali conflict[8]

I would think these guys are already to go again.
By all reports, the legion will be mobilised, probably as a strike commando type force. Identifying ground targets for drones and aircraft and assassinations .

Well you seem to take their word as gospel.

Let me post the full text as i did in the other thread.

If you understand TURKISH and listen they are not booing or showing disrespect for the dead in Paris. What they are actually saying in Turkish is " Martyrs don't die, the Nation will NOT be divided" talking about the innocent victims both soldiers and civilians that have died in Turkey, as a result of Terrorist attacks. It is a sign of RESPECT NOT DISRESPECT.

So where ever you see this news article you may want to set them straight. They do it all just about all their soccer matches when there is a minutes silence for victims of terrorism, NOT JUST THE FRENCH.

Pretty much this.

Sehitler olmez vatan bolunmez.
Means: martrys won't die, fatherland is indivisable

It's a nationalist political slogan/chant often done at the football games & rallies for victims of terrorism or soldiers.

Ah yes the man whos administration oversaw operation wetback.

I guess he was ahead of his time :rolleyes:
Did he? I wouldn't know.

I thought it an interesting discussion point that the guy who purportedly ushered in the birth of the military complex, was also the guy warning of it becoming a dominanting force on American politics, economics and societal influence.

Recently heard a discussion that terrorists are obviously not using mobile phones too much, but there is some evidence that they are using PS4's as a communication and recruiting tool, ffs :confused:
That rumour has already been proven false I believe

Forbes misquoted something from days earlier.

Anyone feel as though something may happen in oz in the near future? I was in Sydney on the weekend and for some reason I didn't particularly feel that safe. I've never felt like that before, ever.

Anyone feel as though something may happen in oz in the near future? I was in Sydney on the weekend and for some reason I didn't particularly feel that safe. I've never felt like that before, ever.

I feel no more unsafe today than I did prior to the attacks in Paris.

I feel no more unsafe today than I did prior to the attacks in Paris.

TBH I've never really felt unsafe (in regards to terroism) in anywhere in Oz. For some reason though there just seemed to be a bit of anxiety in the air while I was in Sydney. Obviously it's fresh on people's mind but even still there was distinct caution on people's faces in the CBD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TBH I've never really felt unsafe (in regards to terroism) in anywhere in Oz. For some reason though there just seemed to be a bit of anxiety in the air while I was in Sydney. Obviously it's fresh on people's mind but even still there was distinct caution on people's faces in the CBD.

At a guess perhaps it is because of that nutter in Martin place that created some of that. Sunday I went to Fed Square and Birrarung Marr and there were people everywhere and it felt normal.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/techn...-from-both-sides/story-fnjwnqy7-1227615138752

THE cyberwar between Anonymous and Islamic State has just escalated, with the terror group firing back and innocent victims getting caught in the crossfire.

Just as Anonymous took responsibility for removing more than 5500 Twitter accounts linked to Islamic State, the terrorist organisation has responded with a message of its own.

Posting to a channel for terrorist hackers on encrypted chat app Telegram, Islamic State has claimed to be “owners of the virtual world”.

An initial message written in Arabic and English urged members of IS to unite and update their Twitter profile pictures to show the image of a black shoeprint on the French flag.

This was followed with a secondary message, written only in Arabic, which promised Islamic State would strike back at Anonymous.

A lot more info at link

Where to from here? With the Russians and French looking to work together what is the possibility of ground troops. I want these Isis scum wiped from the earth

Where to from here? With the Russians and French looking to work together what is the possibility of ground troops. I want these Isis scum wiped from the earth
I'm wondering what Russia's motives are behind their (limited, but still) support of the Assad regime, besides the Kurdish forces, the regime has shown itself quite resilient, at least comparatively to the Free Syrian Army and smaller rebel factions.

BREAKING: Russian Foreign Minister says ready to work with US-led anti-IS coalition if it respects Syria's 'sovereignty'

Highly doubt it is going to happen. It is clear they want Assad gone.

BREAKING: Russian Foreign Minister says ready to work with US-led anti-IS coalition if it respects Syria's 'sovereignty'

Highly doubt it is going to happen. It is clear they want Assad gone.
The Yanks do, the Russian's don't, he's bought and (l am led to believe) that he continues to buy many weapons from the Russians.

The Yanks do, the Russian's don't, he's bought and (l am led to believe) that he continues to buy many weapons from the Russians.

He'd have to as he's running out of ammunition. Without the support of Russia, the militias and Iran, the bloke would have been long gone.

Russian fighter jets apparently targetting ISIS oil trucks (a major source of their money)
The U.S media are saying why it's taken the U.S so long to do what the Russians are now doing in targeting the oil trucks like D.P said a major source of their money..

He'd have to as he's running out of ammunition. Without the support of Russia, the militias and Iran, the bloke would have been long gone.
True, but he still does control some heavy industry and manufacturing. In addition, the other rebel groups, with the recent omission of Isis, have had substantial western support as well and they're struggling to hold, except for the Kurds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back