Mega Thread The Franklin Mint - All Buddy angst, rants, etc to go in here AND NOWHERE ELSE

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's entirely possible that the Swans will try to use "covid hardship" to get out of the salary cap issues they agreed to in order to sign him up.

Everyone knew at the time of signing that nine years was way too long. Heck, he still has three years to play out when all his playing cohorts - Roughhead, Lewis, Mitchell, Hodge - have retired. The Swans "back-ended" his contract, possibly with the cynical intent of minimising their exposure should he have to retire from injury. The AFL needs to show some integrity and refuse to relent. But I integrity is not a word they understand.

In fact, once the crazy offer was allowed (and remember for all the palaver, the AFL did not actually block it from happening, which they could have) free agency was not the factor. Could have gone to the PSD with that one. No club could or would match it

And Trav Cloke was in that draft - makes it really stark - Only Buddy and LeCras remain

Gotta laugh at any of the Swans fans saying the deal was a success and they would do it again, but they shouldn't have signed him for 9 years... THAT'S THE ONLY REASON YOU GOT HIM. At least the only reason we couldn't match it.

The deal was never going to age well for them and somehow some are only just realizing that.

In fact, once the crazy offer was allowed (and remember for all the palaver, the AFL did not actually block it from happening, which they could have) free agency was not the factor. Could have gone to the PSD with that one. No club could or would match it

And Trav Cloke was in that draft - makes it really stark - Only Buddy and LeCras remain
Pretty sure The Frenchman retired after the Eagles' Grand Final win.

They'll get let off and will cite COVID as the reason.

Bookmark this.
Cv19 or not. I actually don't see it happening. It wld set a very dangerous precedent. Afl signed off on this, and made all sorts of statements that the swans wld have to keep it on the books no matter what. Yes Jeff wld go ape poopoo, but so wld many other clubs.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Cv19 or not. I actually don't see it happening. It wld set a very dangerous precedent. Afl signed off on this, and made all sorts of statements that the swans wld have to keep it on the books no matter what. Yes Jeff wld good ape poopoo, but so wld many other clubs.

Yep very good point. Think of all the clubs who have had to pay out FAs too

Actually, how many would it be out of interest ...? Too lazy to research

Cv19 or not. I actually don't see it happening. It wld set a very dangerous precedent. Afl signed off on this, and made all sorts of statements that the swans wld have to keep it on the books no matter what. Yes Jeff wld good ape poopoo, but so wld many other clubs.

But its the AFL $wan$

Can guarantee, that with the current floating fixture that buddy will be given every opportunity to be fit to play the hawks. Expect to play the swans in the last four rounds

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't see it mate. It'd sink the joint with new cap cuts on the way.

I get the Buddy angst from people.

I remember going to one of his first games at the G against Richmond. Kicked 3 could have been 6 , did things a guy his age and size just shouldn't be doing.
We lost the game but I left the ground feeling we had won .
I had hope in our side for the first time in years , that's what he gave me and hopefully others who saw our 'footy' between 2002-2004 .

They way he left was cr@p . But he gave me/the club hope and two flags and maybe even another two by leaving .

Better to have had and lost then never had sometimes.

Swannies have long been the sneakiest club in the league (abusing Cola to bring stars, Jack's drafting, Hall allowed to play GF, the Buddy courtship). Guaranteed they will try and find a way to worm their way out of the full contract.

AFL doesn't consider precedents (see MRP or Tribunal) & couldn't give a f*** about a few clubs mouthing off.

More clubs than ever are now on welfare & rely on AFL handouts - there's no chance they're going to whine publicly about $ydney being released from honoring that contract when at the same time, they're asking for cash to continue existing.

AFL could just award $wan$ the next 4x Premierships & there's nothing anyone could do. F***, they did it in 2016 with footrot & nobody batted an eyelid...

I think there's two separate points here:

1/ Paying the contract - they won't be obliged to pay him if he retires.
2/ Salary cap - I would bloody well hope that they would have to have the $ in the cap even if he retires.

I'd still love to see him kick a 1,000 goals

He would have his 1000 by now if had stayed with us imo. Our window ran longer, we had better ball users going forward and Franklin's playing style was more suited to the MCG.

We probably ran a more Franklin friendly game plan as well. Playing in Sydney meant less 'big' games to get him fired up (e.g Cats, Pies, Bombers etc) in front of big Melbourne crowds.

Not fussed either way now but this year looks shot.

Last edited:
I'm just genuinely intrigued why his hamstring injuries are always 9-10 week durations.
Not insinuating anything but the general rule of thumb for hamstrings was 3-4 weeks I thought.
Bud's are always 9-10 weeks, Playfair yesterday seemed very sure at this early stage it was another 9-10 weeker.
Perhaps he rips them off the bone each time..?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back