Mega Thread The Franklin Mint - All Buddy angst, rants, etc to go in here AND NOWHERE ELSE

Remove this Banner Ad

With all this known, you would have to question his commitment in 2013. Wouldn't you?

I don't. He played to the structures and played hard. Clarkson changed his role in 2013 and removed him as the focal point of the forward line. He didn't publicly sook.

images

That article shows just how much bulltish both Franklin AND Pickmyring spread around during the season in regards to "a decision not having been made".
You made your bed, $hitney, now you've got to sleep in it - preferably without COLA, and the veteran's allowance!
I can't wait until you're REALLY screwed financially by this deal!

We all know that he must have talked to them at some point. All this article does is provide the date.

I don't really care. I've said it before but I was happy that he didn't sign with us and stay for what we offered. That doesn't take away all of the memories that he provided us with though. There's no way he's worth a million a year and weren't we offering him $1.1? For the next 5 years he's probably worth $800K, $700K, $600K, $500K, $450K ------> retire. There's no way we would have been better off with him staying.

Well how very clever they all are, they all think they are sooo smarty.

But if I was to summarize how the rest of this little game of Hide-and-go-Sydney went it would be like this:

Sydney - 'Got ya Buddy'

Hawthorn 'Got ya COLA'

Sydney - 'Hey, no fair give it back!'

Clarko - 'Pickers your fired'

Pickers - 'Ohhhh'

It doesn't sit all that well with me but at the end of the day, for whatever reason, he made a decision post 2012 that he wanted to live in Sydney. And he was 12 months off becoming a free agent.

So although it looks bad approaching the team that beat us, he probably spoke to GWS at the same time. It had nothing to do with the clubs. Nothing to do with Hawthorn. Purely lifestyle - he wanted to move there. $ydney offered the biggest deal in the history of our game and after 9 years, 580 goals, 150+ games and two premierships with the Hawks, he jumped at it.

I wanted Buddy to stay as much as anyone, but really, him leaving extends our premiership window a further four years imo.

The obsession on this board for a former player is beyond cringe worthy now.

Who cares why, when, how or who? He's gone!

It's embarassing that people keep making threads about him and the rest of us are tarred with the obsessed brush because of it.

Enough is enough! MOVE ON!!!!

It's understandable. He's the biggest name in football and he was ours.

He went to a rival who used disgraceful AFL advantages in order to land him, and ensure no other club could come close. Suddenly they become Hawthorn's biggest threat in 2014.

I'm expecting Hawks supporters to be talking about him for a while to come.

Give it time everyone. In a few years time we'll be looking back at this and laughing at our good fortune.

He's been awesome for us. Even if he does recapture some form in Sydney he will never reach the lofty heights of 2008.

FACT. His thumbs are buggered and prevent him from taking over head contested marks anymore.

FACT. The knee injury he copped in the '11 QF has given him a Baker's cyst which will likely see him never play an uninterrupted season again.

FACT. He still recklessly attacks contests which will likely see him miss a further 1-2 games a season through suspension.

FACT. His Sydney contract was the $10M straw that broke the camel's back and spilt the CoLA filled humps.

FACT. The AFL has stated that no matter what, Sydney will have to honour his contract. They. are. ****ed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pickering first contacted the Swans in October 2012, just weeks after Hawthorn lost to Sydney by 10 points in the Grand Final.

That says everything that needs to be said about Lance Franklin and the value he put on his relationship with the Hawthorn Football club.

* him.

The real scumbag in this tale is Pickering. I understand that he represents his Client's interests but there is no ethical excuse for the pipeline of pure unadulterated crap he was feeding Hawthorn during the course of the season.

Glad Clarko saw sense and got rid of him.

It doesn't sit all that well with me but at the end of the day, for whatever reason, he made a decision post 2012 that he wanted to live in Sydney. And he was 12 months off becoming a free agent.

So although it looks bad approaching the team that beat us, he probably spoke to GWS at the same time. It had nothing to do with the clubs. Nothing to do with Hawthorn. Purely lifestyle - he wanted to move there. $ydney offered the biggest deal in the history of our game and after 9 years, 580 goals, 150+ games and two premierships with the Hawks, he jumped at it.

I wanted Buddy to stay as much as anyone, but really, him leaving extends our premiership window a further four years imo.

If he wanted to go, that's cool. But what rankles with me is he went along with a deal that ensured we'd get absolutely nothing for him. What's more it would make a rival of ours stronger. It's the deceit that gets me. I'm sure if he'd come to Hawthorn and said, "I'm going to Sydney (being a restricted free agent he holds the whip hand, especially with the deal they kind of had in mind) you have a chance to make a deal otherwise you'll get nothing" we would have been able to extract something.

It might work out well for us, but none the thanks to Buddy who ensured, along with his manager, that we would be kept in the dark and, in a sense, get worse than nothing for him (losing a great player, strengthening a rival etc).

And while, as an earlier poster so eloquently and accurately put it, he has the IQ of a doorknob, the universe has a way of equalising stuff like this.

If he wanted to go, that's cool. But what rankles with me is he went along with a deal that ensured we'd get absolutely nothing for him. What's more it would make a rival of ours stronger.
You said it grizz.

It's not the fact Franklin left that hurts. Most of us were mentally prepared for that. It was the manner of his defection.

I don't mind him going or the reasons why. But his hit on Malceski before our finals game will never sit well with me!
Are you suggesting that he was intentionally getting himself suspended to sabotage our ability to win against Sydney in the QF the following week?
That is real tin hat stuff there mate lol.

1. He'd be able to sabotage us a whole lot more by actually playing in the QF and then putting in an intentional shocker (effectively 21 vs. 23)
2. He wouldn't give up an opportunity to get himself another premiership medallion just so a team that robbed him of one 11 months prior, that he still may not have ended up with 6 weeks later if things didn't go to plan could win them.

That Malceski bump was just pure Buddy sloppiness.

To those saying that they would have rathered Buddy ask for a trade after the 2012 grand final...who are you kidding? I mean honestly. We all remember how much that hurt right? Imagine how much we'd hate him if that happened. I can't even fathom it.

The fact that he not only saw out the rest of his contract, but played in another bloody premiership is good enough for me. Not to mention the tons of memories he's given us over the years.

And it's not like he's the first great player to leave their club. Gary Ablett Jnr ring any bells? Chris Judd? Hell even Ron Barassi.

I think it's time we give it a rest. He's gone and let's look forward to another flag in 2014.

The obsession on this board for a former player is beyond cringe worthy now.

Who cares why, when, how or who? He's gone!

It's embarassing that people keep making threads about him and the rest of us are tarred with the obsessed brush because of it.

Enough is enough! MOVE ON!!!!

Donna Summer playing ...

Enough is enough is enough
I can't go on, I can't go on, no more no
enough is enough is enough
I want him out, I want him out that door now.....

Last edited:
To those saying that they would have rathered Buddy ask for a trade after the 2012 grand final...who are you kidding? I mean honestly. We all remember how much that hurt right? Imagine how much we'd hate him if that happened. I can't even fathom it.

The fact that he not only saw out the rest of his contract, but played in another bloody premiership is good enough for me. Not to mention the tons of memories he's given us over the years.

And it's not like he's the first great player to leave their club. Gary Ablett Jnr ring any bells? Chris Judd? Hell even Ron Barassi.

I think it's time we give it a rest. He's gone and let's look forward to another flag in 2014.

He didn't have to leave after 2012, he could have insisted to Sydney they do the right thing and organize a trade after 2013, involving at the least their first round draft pick to us. He then signs contract, everyone is good, move on.
Instead he was happy to cook us along the way.
Karma is a bitch, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a season long injury happening to him just to add an extra twist to the story.o_O

Are you suggesting that he was intentionally getting himself suspended to sabotage our ability to win against Sydney in the QF the following week?
That is real tin hat stuff there mate lol.

1. He'd be able to sabotage us a whole lot more by actually playing in the QF and then putting in an intentional shocker (effectively 21 vs. 23)
2. He wouldn't give up an opportunity to get himself another premiership medallion just so a team that robbed him of one 11 months prior, that he still may not have ended up with 6 weeks later if things didn't go to plan could win them.

That Malceski bump was just pure Buddy sloppiness.

You are probably right and it's just a coincidence. Just seemed like a nothing act at the time. He is clumsy and that probably explains it. But it is convenient. Even having a shocker in the final, he would have still drawn the number 1 or 2 defender helping the team out, so i'm not sure a 21 vs 23 scenario would have happened.

I wouldn't have said he would leave the club to a team that took a premiership off us 12 months prior either. Tin foil hat or no, he and his manager have shown that the interests of Hawthorn were not at the fore front of his negotiations. It is, what it is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back