Mega Thread The Franklin Mint - All Buddy angst, rants, etc to go in here AND NOWHERE ELSE

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok, as the thread title suggests, we get that people will want to talk about Buddy during the year. So this is the thread to do it in. Don;t start up new thread about him. Post in here.

Rant, be reasonable, philosophise, whatever - do it in this thread if it involves Buddy, how he's going playing for them Bloods or his perfidious departure from our great club.

Last edited:
LANCE Franklin told Sydney coach John Longmire why he wanted to play for the Swans at a secret meeting in January, 2013.

The meeting was held at the home of Swans chief executive Andrew Ireland and was attended by Ireland, Longmire, Franklin and Franklin’s manager Liam Pickering.

Article here

Can't say I'm impressed...

Loved the big fella. Brought joy like few others.

Yet despite that, this doesn't really bother or upset me. He had made up his mind to leave yet still played a pretty bloody good year IMO. A selfless year. Can't ask more than that. Players are going to move around, now more than ever with the $ on offer and FA to assist the move. As long as they give everything to your club while they are there then no complaints.

All the best Bud. Thanks for the memories.

Let's keep this in perspective. He does have the IQ of a doorknob.

while this may be true…basic sentiments like loyalty and honesty come from character and heart…he's approached the club that beat us in a granny 3 months earlier in the last minute of the GF, and instructed them he wants to play for them (if this story is true which i can't see why i would question)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess when most people read this you will say as MB said, what a player and thx for the memories.

However, while every other hawks player was in pain and thats the truth after the loss to Sydney, he decided to start the discussion immediately after the GF - thats why Pickers contacted them.

So why not, as a beloved son and loyal servant of our club, repay our club by organising a trade during the trade period?

That way we would have got a deal out of it and perhaps it may have been better for him as Tippet had not signed as yet (did he)

I guess thats our frustration as members of this great footy club.

Ye he likes to live in Sydney - however where does loyalty stand. Forget free agency this is HFC - Sam Mitchell could have made millions ot go to GWS as could have Cryril......and they stayed at HFC.

In the end I acccept Bud leaving - and am over it, though I could not believe it last year. It will be best thing for our club we have strength in culture and talent and will not be missed. I have a feeling that Buddy is not the player he used to be either.

Meh. It's ancient history, but it does confirm the type of person Franklin became over the past couple of years. However, it's only fair to him to realise that he was paid well under market rate by Hawthorn in his last contract with the club. Even if Franklin and and Sydney talking in January 2013 broke any rules, it's not like the AFL will do anything about it.

Franklin makes the news because he and Sydney are the first to exploit free agency in a way that favours the player and the destination club; they surely won't be the last (unless the AFL changes the rules).

So, so confusing on this board. Is he still at Hawthorn?

If not, what about the guys who are on our list. Do they deserve a thread or two?

No-one cares about $$$$$$$$hitney. Not even the people who live there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back