Mega Thread The Franklin Mint - All Buddy angst, rants, etc to go in here AND NOWHERE ELSE

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m surprised that this thread still exist.he moved on.

Hodge, Sam Mitchell, Lewis and Birchall, all also moved on. Cyril and Rough retired and are moving onto new challenges in the lives. Clarko, moved on by winning 2 premierships after he left, and is now rebuilding the list for another possible crack at more premierships for the next 3-4 years. The club has moved on, by reissuing it’s goals and plans for future success.

surely it’s time for us supporters to move on, thank him for his time as a hawk, and embrace the future as we become the first team to 20 premierships.

I’m surprised that this thread still exist.he moved on.

Hodge, Sam Mitchell, Lewis and Birchall, all also moved on. Cyril and Rough retired and are moving onto new challenges in the lives. Clarko, moved on by winning 2 premierships after he left, and is now rebuilding the list for another possible crack at more premierships for the next 3-4 years. The club has moved on, by reissuing it’s goals and plans for future success.

surely it’s time for us supporters to move on, thank him for his time as a hawk, and embrace the future as we become the first team to 20 premierships.

I am waiting for him to retire.

Wonder how the AFL Swans internally assess the deal.

They have not won anything with him and are now coming off the worst year they have had in a while, he's had more injuries and internal club suspensions than they would have hoped, and it's not like every Swans supporter has his number on the back of their jumper.

It hasn't been absolutely terrible, but it's a 4/10 for mine.

They have not won anything with him and are now coming off the worst year they have had in a while, he's had more injuries and internal club suspensions than they would have hoped, and it's not like every Swans supporter has his number on the back of their jumper.

11/10 for marketing.

It’s so interesting seeing the different way he’s treated in the media since moving across. If he had done another pre season injury at Hawthorn on that current deal there would be commentators all over the place to have a crack at him/us for the risk of having such a salary for the next few years. The article on the AFL site was at pains to reference what an amazing pre season he was having before the injury, and spinning it into bad luck.

This really is not a good situation for Swans as it’s hard for them to not be Buddy centric when you have a player like him on the list. He’s not going be there reliably each week so they can’t let him go on that contract or move on while he’s there and being such a presence. When we made the decision not to be Buddy focused is when we went from good to great; but it’s very hard in Sydney’s situation to do the same.

Do they then try to outbid Essendon and take a huge risk on salary for a free agent in Daniher and risk having two highly paid, but injury prone forwards? They’re in much more of a bind than the media will admit.

They get hyped up as much as we get talked down; even though they’ve rorted academies and free agency more than anyone (with a COLA handicap to stop us matching to top it off), while we’re quietly moving back up through shrewd work each off season.

Don’t hate Buddy, he’s a premiership Hawk 4life but * Sydney, I hope they bleed.

Not sure why you’d think Swans have to outbid anyone for Daniher. He’s likely sitting out most of the year; if not all of it.

Swans will offer a modest contract if they’re still interested and Daniher will jump at it. Bombers won’t be dumb enough to match and....actually scratch that. They’re probably dumb enough to match.

So just how cooked is Franklin? Gotta wonder if he’ll play another 50 games.

Not sure why you’d think Swans have to outbid anyone for Daniher. He’s likely sitting out most of the year; if not all of it.

Swans will offer a modest contract if they’re still interested and Daniher will jump at it. Bombers won’t be dumb enough to match and....actually scratch that. They’re probably dumb enough to match.

I imagine that Essendon* feel the Swans are very desperate for a forward with Buddy in decline so they are willing to play chicken using Daniher as the bait. They lost this year and they will lose next year as well. Daniher can go PSD, correct? No one will select him but the Swans and Essendon* get nothing in return. 99% chance of that happening. The 1% is that Essendon take a 5th round trade to avoid the PSD.

Any way you look at it, Essendon* played chicken last year and earned a massive Pyrrhic victory. The've managed to stack the deck against themselves so hard that they won't even have the cards for a hic victory this time around.

Nah, they have had several years of the best forward of his generation. Only 1/18 wins the flag each year and they went very close twice because they had him. We belted them in 2014 but they were stiff in 2016. Worst umpired grand final I can remember that one.
He’s been great for the Swans - on and off field. And we went on to win 2 flags after he left so I don’t really get the resentment. I’d like to see him play on for a couple more years and hit the 1000. One of the best I’ve seen and the most exciting player to don the brown and gold (and top couple ever in that regard).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was going to question your sanity but I realised you was just having a bit of fun with us all

Anyone listened to the Golden Years podcast yet?

Very interesting claims by Lewis that Buddy originally really wanted to stay at hawks and stay a one club player, if not for a big falling out with Clarko, culminating at the end of 2012 with clarko turning up unannounced or invited to Vegas to try talk to him in the hotel lobby.

Anyone hear of this before?

Anyone listened to the Golden Years podcast yet?

Very interesting claims by Lewis that Buddy originally really wanted to stay at hawks and stay a one club player, if not for a big falling out with Clarko, culminating at the end of 2012 with clarko turning up unannounced or invited to Vegas to try talk to him in the hotel lobby.

Anyone hear of this before?
That’s been going around for years. I give Clarko’s off-season pestering 0% chance of affecting his decision. Buds mind was already made. He had too many reasons to pack up his life and move it to Sydney before Clarko‘s visit.

That’s been going around for years. I give Clarko’s off-season pestering 0% chance of affecting his decision. Buds mind was already made. He had too many reasons to pack up his life and move it to Sydney before Clarko‘s visit.
Yep agreed but still a bit on the nose by clarko though! It was a bad idea.

Possibly, but the way Lewis and Rough were talking about it, it was considered pretty poor of Clarko.

Ultimately, and it may be sour grapes, but both those guys made the point that it was Clarko's fault that he left.

Possibly, but the way Lewis and Rough were talking about it, it was considered pretty poor of Clarko.

Ultimately, and it may be sour grapes, but both those guys made the point that it was Clarko's fault that he left.

I think it would have been irresponsible of Clarkson to not ask the question. Trade period only happens once and (at the time) I believe it only went for a week. If Franklin had definitively told Clarko he was leaving then we could have gotten a monster deal for him. Instead we lost him as a FA and received friggin Pick 19. For arguably the best player in the competition. Lewis & Roughy didn't sound too supportive of Clarkson's handling of the situation but what else was he meant to do if he believed Franklin was going to leave as a FA? Franklin was likely unsure/undecided at the time and told him as such. I very much doubt such an action would greatly impact Franklin's decision given there were multiple other factors. I also acknowledge that perhaps Clarko shouldn't have visited him on his holiday and given him some time off but a one hour honest face-to-face conversation shouldn't be a reason to greatly influence a monumental decision.

And if Franklin wanting to stay a one-club player was true and indicative of his loyalty he would have tried his best to ensure we didn't get shafted. Instead he signed the contract, took the check and didn't say a word as we got the equivalent of peanuts for a player of his calibre. He easily could have spoken up and said 'I want to do right by Hawthorn' and while we wouldn't have gotten a fair deal out of Sydney we would have gotten more and been in a better position. Even a flog like Dangerfield ensured Adelaide got a better deal than a paltry compensation pick. He also wasn't open with us about where he was going - if he told us from the beginning it was Sydney we could have started conversations with them. Instead we believed it was GWS and opened communications with them. I've heard rumours that they were even willing to offer us Pick 1 to ensure everything went smoothly and they got their marquee player. If this is true then we got shafted on multiple fronts.

I don't blame Buddy for leaving. But I absolutely hated the way he treated our club.

I think it would have been irresponsible of Clarkson to not ask the question. Trade period only happens once and (at the time) I believe it only went for a week. If Franklin had definitively told Clarko he was leaving then we could have gotten a monster deal for him. Instead we lost him as a FA and received friggin Pick 19. For arguably the best player in the competition. Lewis & Roughy didn't sound too supportive of Clarkson's handling of the situation but what else was he meant to do if he believed Franklin was going to leave as a FA? Franklin was likely unsure/undecided at the time and told him as such. I very much doubt such an action would greatly impact Franklin's decision given there were multiple other factors. I also acknowledge that perhaps Clarko shouldn't have visited him on his holiday and given him some time off but a one hour honest face-to-face conversation shouldn't be a reason to greatly influence a monumental decision.

And if Franklin wanting to stay a one-club player was true and indicative of his loyalty he would have tried his best to ensure we didn't get shafted. Instead he signed the contract, took the check and didn't say a word as we got the equivalent of peanuts for a player of his calibre. He easily could have spoken up and said 'I want to do right by Hawthorn' and while we wouldn't have gotten a fair deal out of Sydney we would have gotten more and been in a better position. Even a flog like Dangerfield ensured Adelaide got a better deal than a paltry compensation pick. He also wasn't open with us about where he was going - if he told us from the beginning it was Sydney we could have started conversations with them. Instead we believed it was GWS and opened communications with them. I've heard rumours that they were even willing to offer us Pick 1 to ensure everything went smoothly and they got their marquee player. If this is true then we got shafted on multiple fronts.

I don't blame Buddy for leaving. But I absolutely hated the way he treated our club.
You make your point well, and I don’t necessarily disagree. I guess the thing I’m highlighting and found surprising was the narrative amongst the players and obviously Franklin seems hugely different.

I still recall him being trotted out in a Swans polo just days after the 13 GF win. Felt sick in the guts. Cant imagine what Clarko felt.

Went a long way to winning 14. There's no way they were going to let Bud have that over them.

What goes around comes around.

Why's that?
It’s my holidays and I’ll speak to you about MY contract when IM ready. Dude, he was goneski and I understand clarko just wanted to know if what he’s thinking about for the future so WE can get prepared accordingly. Clarko was doing what’s best for the club but not in Vegas, you don’t hassle in Vegas, you hustle in Vegas!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back