The Freo List.

Remove this Banner Ad

I really felt we should have taken the GC offer of picks 21, 26, 37 and next years 2nd rounder. We would have also kept pick 41 and next years 4th rounder for Weller. That would’ve given us 6 picks over these 2 drafts which I think would’ve suited our list position more appropriately. Plus I think you could get a Brayshaw type somewhere in those picks. Instead we have 1 pick next year to try fill a number of holes in the list.

Last edited:
Defender wise we look ok from a best 22 point of view. With Carter coming in and Blakely and Hill doing decent off the HBF we only lack depth in key defenders. I didn’t rate Collins if he was to be delisted he had to be replaced. We have a historically injury prone Pearce (had a few injuries before that broken leg), 13 game Logue, 33-34 year Johnson, Hamling and Cox who seems to only get games as a forward. What kind of depth is that? We have bigger fish to fry but if we can get a cheap mature age key defender we do it - no one is going to move across the country to be a depth player so probably comes from the state leagues.

Midfield looks fine on paper but almost every midfielder we have bar our kids is deplorable defensively. Even Fyfe had tackles broken against Sydney - for Neale it happens all the time and is the difference between him and the games elite. We also lack good ball users going inside fifty which makes our forwards look worse than they are. I look at this and see that drafting Brayshaw and Cerra was 100% the right decision. Both add significantly in both areas - especially for inside mids.

Rucks could be a problem. At this stage we have too many but there’s only two quality ones and one is 35. Will need to cut and change in time but assuming Sandilands goes again we need less rucks not more so we’ll probably see a delisting or two from this group. Remember Meek and Jones are contracted so probably won’t be them.

Forwards are shambles really. There’s a bit of talent but Walters and Matera are the only two that you’d say are anywhere near their peak. With those two and Lachie Neale in the midfield we’ve probably already reached the midget quota. We lack mid sized forwards and are playing midfielders there to compensate. Harley Bennell is a natural forward and we could do with him there. Taberner obviously was a loss but Cox has something - just can’t kick goals at this stage. Can’t see Taberner and Cox playing in the same team unfortunately- our defensive pressure is poor enough as it is.

Experienced back ups at low cost would be great for our list. Eventually we can’t just trade half of next year’s picks though. Fasolo appeals to me-we need another mid sized forward. The rest of the free agents don’t really appeal to me tbh. Conca would be ok but only really replaces Banfield. McGovern ain’t coming. If there’s a few DFAs that can offer some value I wouldnt be against it. There may be a few more this year with a supposedly strong draft.

Another big exodus of players this year too...Jono,ballas,sutty,Sherro,Spurr,Danyle Pearce,sandi,apeness,Grey & Kersten all gone?
No need to get rid of Spurr, Sheridan, Sandilands, Grey or Kersten. Or not all of them. Assuming they are happy to be our depth players with needs based opportunities that is.

If I'm the coach of a developing team what do I teach them? How to play to the strengths of the players I have at my disposal at the moment or to play the way I want them to play when I assemble the list I want?

Do I worry about winning, or do I balance winning enough not to crush them with developing them at AFL level? I think the balance is ok at the moment. The kids are learning it's a tough gig travelling every second week - something the Victorian clubs don't have to worry about. The ability to react instinctively under pressure isn't learned in a couple of months. We have quality kids and they'll learn but they'll make mistakes and get fatigued. Compared to where we were two years ago I'm rapt.

Our list has some flaws but you can't fix them all at once. We've turned over some big numbers in the last two years and we'll move on quite a few again this year. D Pearce, Johnno and Ballas look cooked. Ape needs to show something and Lee Spurr's age, injury and being a small defender are all against him. I'm not sure what Rixx's contract situation is but he must be under pressure. That's 6 that we could shed easily.

After the last two trade/draft periods I'll put my faith in our recruiting guys to get it right.

Interesting thread.

I give our recruiters an A+ personally from the last 2 years.

2016 - Logue, Darcy, Cox and Ryan as draft picks all have a future and filled needs.
2017 - Brayshaw, Cerra, Dixon, Crowden, North, Meek, Switkowski and Jones.

Recruits in McCarthy, Kersten, Hamling, Hill, Matera and Wilson

Minimal losses in Crozier, Mayne & Weller

I'm ok with this.

Chuck in a couple of rookies that are going ok and the turnover is nearly complete and gives us a frame to work with over 2-3 years.

At the moment we are suffering from having turned over 25 players in the last 3 years and having 10 injuries.

I really feel we need to target 5 mature age players at the end of the year to balance out the massive amount of youth we have brought in.

S Hill, B Hill, Taberner and Logue are injured. Walters was in his first game back.

Once we get a few players back and start to get some competition for spots then we will be a lot more competitive. The issue we have is that we have no depth, which forces us to play people out of position and out of form.

There's a graphic going around that shows us 9th on the list of best 22 games lost to injury , that was a bit surprising / disappointing not sure the excuse stacks up that well but they do seem to unbalance us more than most

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

The following players would be in the best 10 players on the field in other teams:
Fyfe, Neale, S Hill, B Hill, Wilson, Ryan, Walters, Taberner (yes, Taberner!) A Pearce, Hamling, Langdon

The following players would be good players at other clubs: Logue, Mundy, McCarthy, Matera, Sandilands, Cerra.

The following players would be fringe at other clubs: Tucker, Brayshaw, Crowden, Ballentyne, Cox.

We’ve been missing S.Hill, B.Hill, Walters, Taberner and Logue and while Cerra, Brayshaw, Banfield and Crowden have shown huge potential to be A or B grade players their actual output is closer to C to D grade players at this stage.

Take the Sydney game as an example. Our first tier mids were Fyfe, Neale, Mundy, S.Hill and Langdon vs Kennedy, Parker, Hannebery, Heeney and Lloyd

The top tier is arguably comparable but after that it becomes:

Cerra, Brayshaw, Banfield, Crowden and Tucker Vs Mills, Rohan, Jack, Florent and Jones

Sydney have the clear advantage right now but give our guys a few years and add in B.Hill and Blakely and we’ll be right in the mix.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been intrigued by the Logue talk of late. From future powerhouse KPF, to big bodied midfielder to (Not to pick on you Galvo) how we've been missing him now. All on the back of exactly.... nothing. Whatsoever. It's baffling to me. Hasn't shown a solitary thing imo, but that's not to say he won't.

Been intrigued by the Logue talk of late. From future powerhouse KPF, to big bodied midfielder to (Not to pick on you Galvo) how we've been missing him now. All on the back of exactly.... nothing. Whatsoever. It's baffling to me. Hasn't shown a solitary thing imo, but that's not to say he won't.

I have no doubt Logue would’ve been better than Johnson and Duman in the games they’ve played.

We’ve been missing S.Hill, B.Hill, Walters, Taberner and Logue and while Cerra, Brayshaw, Banfield and Crowden have shown huge potential to be A or B grade players their actual output is closer to C to D grade players at this stage.

Take the Sydney game as an example. Our first tier mids were Fyfe, Neale, Mundy, S.Hill and Langdon vs Kennedy, Parker, Hannebery, Heeney and Lloyd

The top tier is arguably comparable but after that it becomes:

Cerra, Brayshaw, Banfield, Crowden and Tucker Vs Mills, Rohan, Jack, Florent and Jones

Sydney have the clear advantage right now but give our guys a few years and add in B.Hill and Blakely and we’ll be right in the mix.
We have definitely tried to add more skills to the group, run and carry. But on the way we have lost the 1 percenters that
use to force errors from the opposition, and with that tackling pressure, ball ups, gave us time to set our zone, plays.
Without the stoppages in play, a contested forward who at least brings the ball to ground, we are getting killed in
Intercepts, rebound footy, zero forward pressure.
Get back to basics and we will improve, we need more like Brayshaw, Banfield. Others just want to play bruise free footy,
something I thought we would never see in a Ross Lyon team.

Defender wise we look ok from a best 22 point of view. With Carter coming in and Blakely and Hill doing decent off the HBF we only lack depth in key defenders. I didn’t rate Collins if he was to be delisted he had to be replaced. We have a historically injury prone Pearce (had a few injuries before that broken leg), 13 game Logue, 33-34 year Johnson, Hamling and Cox who seems to only get games as a forward. What kind of depth is that? We have bigger fish to fry but if we can get a cheap mature age key defender we do it - no one is going to move across the country to be a depth player so probably comes from the state leagues.

Midfield looks fine on paper but almost every midfielder we have bar our kids is deplorable defensively. Even Fyfe had tackles broken against Sydney - for Neale it happens all the time and is the difference between him and the games elite. We also lack good ball users going inside fifty which makes our forwards look worse than they are. I look at this and see that drafting Brayshaw and Cerra was 100% the right decision. Both add significantly in both areas - especially for inside mids. I know Blakely is not a great ball user, but Duman, Hughes, Nyhuis and Logue are all players who can release Blakely and SHill into the midfield.

Rucks could be a problem. At this stage we have too many but there’s only two quality ones and one is 35. Will need to cut and change in time but assuming Sandilands goes again we need less rucks not more so we’ll probably see a delisting or two from this group. Remember Meek and Jones are contracted so probably won’t be them. Meek is also 19 years old isn't he? I am quite comfortable having him take the full 2 years to show something. Strnadica also seems to coming on strongly, and at least seems to be a potential pairing with Darcy.

Forwards are shambles really. There’s a bit of talent but Walters and Matera are the only two that you’d say are anywhere near their peak. With those two and Lachie Neale in the midfield we’ve probably already reached the midget quota. We lack mid sized forwards and are playing midfielders there to compensate. Harley Bennell is a natural forward and we could do with him there. Taberner obviously was a loss but Cox has something - just can’t kick goals at this stage. Can’t see Taberner and Cox playing in the same team unfortunately- our defensive pressure is poor enough as it is. Even if only one of Taberner and Cox can play in the forward line you have still named 3 positions that are covered. I think McCarthy fits as well if the structure is right and he does not have to be the #1 target. At the very least Dixon is a decent option to become that #1 target. I fully agree that a mid-sized forward is needed (which is what McCarthy should be playing, but even so we need another). The move we need to make is getting a player like Hogan; a ready made, young KPF. This is the miracle the List Management crew need to produce this off-season.

Experienced back ups at low cost would be great for our list. Eventually we can’t just trade half of next year’s picks though. Fasolo appeals to me-we need another mid sized forward. The rest of the free agents don’t really appeal to me tbh. Conca would be ok but only really replaces Banfield. McGovern ain’t coming. If there’s a few DFAs that can offer some value I wouldnt be against it. There may be a few more this year with a supposedly strong draft. Mature back-ups must be the easiest thing to improve. There are always delistings, state league players deserving an opportunity etc. I am not a fan though unless they are genuine 5 year players.
Pretty good overall assessment 82. Added a few comments into your post.

Pretty good overall assessment 82. Added a few comments into your post.
I like most of it but the miracle is not going to happen.

Of the eligible young KPFs just can't see any of them moving here. I can't even think of a WA one outside of Hogan.

Hogan - if he didn't come when his father was ill over here why would he come back now? The only smidge of hope I might have is if they somehow missed finals both this year and next which seems unlikely.
Brown - no.
Daniher - no.
Wright - no.
Hipwood - no.
McCartin - maybe but geez that would be a risk.
Moore - no.
Curnow - no.
McKay - no.
Weiderman - no.

Probably a few I am missing but I suspect they are all nos anyway. We have to find another way.

The way is Dix and Cox.

The way is Dix and Cox.

Yes I fully agree.

The unpleasant thought is that we do have 2 Victorian players that other clubs will come hard at; Darcy and Cerra. They are key parts of our future, and not players that we can afford to lose. Darcy has extended, but I wouldn't mind another extension.

Yes I fully agree.

The unpleasant thought is that we do have 2 Victorian players that other clubs will come hard at; Darcy and Cerra. They are key parts of our future, and not players that we can afford to lose. Darcy has extended, but I wouldn't mind another extension.
Darcy doesn't worry me at all (but then neither did Weller).

Cerra worries me greatly. I just hope he is getting attached to the boys and especially the guys he was drafted with.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-20/around-the-state-leagues-whos-starring-for-your-club

I have not watched any of the Crows 2nd's games, but it appears like they still have a few players playing well even though they have 10 plus injuries.

Keath was good last year, and if we need a key defender I would chase him.

Chris25 - Do you still watch the SANFL??

Who are the best players on the Port and Crows list outside of the 22?

Chris has been head to the draft forums and he has a SA talent thread up

Plenty of players to chose from

Darcy doesn't worry me at all (but then neither did Weller).

Cerra worries me greatly. I just hope he is getting attached to the boys and especially the guys he was drafted with.

Cerra would at least get us a decent return if he chose to leave. I'd much rather we retain him, he looks like a gun in the making. Don't think we'd get massively short changed if he bailed though.

Cerra would at least get us a decent return if he chose to leave. I'd much rather we retain him, he looks like a gun in the making. Don't think we'd get massively short changed if he bailed though.
I agree, but it is far from ideal if he goes. Has the exact skillset we need. Skills, composure, marking and hits the scoreboard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back