The Freo List.

Remove this Banner Ad

The modern teams might be low scoring, but they'd flog the teams of yesteryear. The greats that I grew up with, Barry Cable etc would be left eating dust and wouldn't often get near the ball. Well, unless they were allowed to include a bit of the biffo of yesteryear, that would even up the ledger in their favour.

Of course they would, who said they wouldn't? The question is why is the skill level of the modern day draft pick so underwhelming? It's because the prototype footballer of today is a 190cm+ midfielder that can run all day first, and kicking a ball beautifully off one step comes a distant second. Young guys are getting pigeon holed and fast tracked into development squads based on their athletic potential, and trained as elite athletes, as the pathway to a footy career.

It's because more players are getting picked up on the basis of beep tests and such bullshit, rather than their footy. I don't dislike the game, but you can't tell me it wasn't a whole lot more fun when a guy like Benny Vigona was running around the WAFL, and I use the word running advisedly

This is why the whole finding the rough diamond in Bailey Banfield is a little amusing.

After not getting drafted, I would of thought winning the B&F at Claremont as a 19 year old may have just been a little clue that kid is handy.

How Scholithe is not on a list is beyond me, we need to understand that some kids at 18 are too stupid to realise that life is a pretty hard taskmaster - by 22 they may have grown up between the ears.

This is why the whole finding the rough diamond in Bailey Banfield is a little amusing.

After not getting drafted, I would of thought winning the B&F at Claremont as a 19 year old may have just been a little clue that kid is handy.

How Scholithe is not on a list is beyond me, we need to understand that some kids at 18 are too stupid to realise that life is a pretty hard taskmaster - by 22 they may have grown up between the ears.
Surely a Schloithe or a Ben Newton or like is better than Sutcliffe or Sheridan in what they bring

Of course they would, who said they wouldn't? The question is why is the skill level of the modern day draft pick so underwhelming? It's because the prototype footballer of today is a 190cm+ midfielder that can run all day first, and kicking a ball beautifully off one step comes a distant second. Young guys are getting pigeon holed and fast tracked into development squads based on their athletic potential, and trained as elite athletes, as the pathway to a footy career.

Its actually a bit of a weakness in the game as a product. The dull, dour fitness junkie wins out over the charismatic, flashy, silky-skilled player... every day of the week.

To a degree, natural selection favours the taller AFL player due to reach and mass, equally they have to be athletes - your reach is only good if you can get near the ball. There are plenty of "pipsqueeks" out there at a mere 6 foot who have the skills and the run - but they won't get near AFL, with rare exception.

Given that AFL players are drawn from the taller players only, it's a small pool of people and probably not as selective as it would otherwise be.

Add to that, that the running load affects the kicking means tired legs and poor kicking. The only way to wind the clock back and go back to the higher skills on display is to step the competition back to an amateur one so that they aren't full time athletes, are allowed to eat a few extra pies and drink beers with team mates the night before a game, size might matter a little less then, it will be the guys who want it the most instead of being genetically taller.

Surely a Schloithe or a Ben Newton or like is better than Sutcliffe or Sheridan in what they bring

If we'd taken Schloithe and not committed to 5 ruckmen on the list ....I'd be pretty sure he'd be close to a debut.

The selection of Jones and Meek, with Darcy & Sandi and a rookie listed Strnadica at a time when only 1 ruck will get gametime is a head shaker to me and ties up a spot on our list for another 12 months.

Ruck situation (# of rookies)

Teams with 3 rucks - Adelaide, Brisbane (1) , C'Wood (1), GWS, Gold Coast, Hawks, Port & St K (1)
Teams with 4 rucks - Carlton, Geelong, Melb (1), Swans (1) & Doggies
Teams with 5 rucks - Freo (1), Eagles (1), Essendon (3) & North Melb (1)
Teams with 6 rucks - Richmond

Aside from Richmond (NFI what they are doing but good on em), Eagles at least play 2 ruckmen and N Melb are trying to make a KP out of Daw.

I think Sandi, Darcy, Meek & Strnadica would of been enough for a team not competing for a flag.

If we'd taken Schloithe and not committed to 5 ruckmen on the list ....I'd be pretty sure he'd be close to a debut.

The selection of Jones and Meek, with Darcy & Sandi and a rookie listed Strnadica at a time when only 1 ruck will get gametime is a head shaker to me and ties up a spot on our list for another 12 months.

Teams with 3 rucks - Adelaide, Brisbane (1) , C'Wood (1), GWS, Gold Coast, Hawks, Port & St K (1)

Aside from Richmond (NFI what they are doing but good on em), Eagles at least play 2 ruckmen and N Melb are trying to make a KP out of Daw.

I think Sandi, Darcy, Meek & Strnadica would of been enough for a team not competing for a flag.

I can tell you why following on from my rant in the One key forward thread.

Why do you need to draft pure forwards when you can use a scatter gun approach where you try and recruit as many developing (and possibly mediocre) rucks and backmen hoping one will miraculously turn into a key forward?

Ruckman is one position that often turns up good players with later picks. So we took a few stabs at it.

Expecting at least 2 of them to be cut by next year (including Ape as a ruckman).

Why are so many folks convinced that Cera wants out? We have a pretty bloody good record of keeping interstate kids on the list...
Compare Brayshaw and Cerra reaction on draft day and one has extended their contract and the other hasn’t. Also, he is a Vic Metro kid.

That doesn’t give me any confidence Cerra will stay.

Plus, their are 10 Victorian who wouldn’t pass on a top 5 pick.

Saints,Blues,Essendon, Hawks, and Roos all desperate to improve their midfield.

Add the Melbourne girlfriend into the mix. My bet is that Cerra is 60% gone.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-20/around-the-state-leagues-whos-starring-for-your-club

I have not watched any of the Crows 2nd's games, but it appears like they still have a few players playing well even though they have 10 plus injuries.

Keath was good last year, and if we need a key defender I would chase him.

Chris25 - Do you still watch the SANFL??

Who are the best players on the Port and Crows list outside of the 22?

There's not a whole lot there I'd be interested in. I've been a fan of Cam Ellis-Yolmen for a while now, I'd have looked to trade him in a couple of years ago. But he's now worked his way into their best 22. I also would have gone after Brendon Ah Chee the last couple of years, but the Eagles took him.

Port Adelaide brought in a lot of mature aged players to be their depth, so there isn't much outside of brand new draftees.

And even with Adelaide, there aren't many who would be pushing for a spot in our best 22. I liked Patrick Wilson as a mature aged draft pick, but you're not going to give up anything for a player like him in a trade. I don't really think we need another tall defender, and Keath isn't really a standout for me. Harry Dear hasn't really dominated games consistently, but he'd probably be ahead of Apeness and Strnadica if he was here as that forward/ruck. And I did like Elliott Himmelberg coming out in his draft year. But you'd only really go after them if you cleaned house of what we have now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is 189cm too small for a forward?

Lennon Marlin looking to have a breakout season with Perth Demons, soft-tissue injuries last year but kicked 6 against Peel later last year. Wants to join Fremantle. Weighs 95kgs.

Is 189cm too small for a forward?

Lennon Marlin looking to have a breakout season with Perth Demons, soft-tissue injuries last year but kicked 6 against Peel later last year. Wants to join Fremantle. Weighs 95kgs.
Not if you are good at football. Yarran was 186 I think and he could certainly football forward of centre.

Why are so many folks convinced that Cera wants out? We have a pretty bloody good record of keeping interstate kids on the list...

Our record of retaining Vic Metro kids in the past 8 years is 50/50.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back