Dippers Donuts

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2001
Hunting the snark
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sluggers
Well, not really, but it makes a good headline...

Hard right nutcase Jean-Marie Le Pen has scored 17% in the first round of presidential elections (Chirac got 19% by comparison). In the process he tipped out Prime Minister Jospin. Chirac is still the favourite but it's a worry.

Hansenmania is sweeping the world!!:(

They've formed an emergengy alliance between the left and (not so far) right wing to try and stop this 'Satan' from becoming President. I heard on the radion this morning some guy describing the common traits between Le Pen's rise to power and those of a certain A. Hitler. Scary:(

17% of the bugger all who voted is frances hill-billy population...no big suprise..Just seen the 'highlights' of Le Pen's three hour press conference...bull**** looks and sounds the same in any language.

Originally posted by London Dave
17% of the bugger all who voted is frances hill-billy population...no big suprise..Just seen the 'highlights' of Le Pen's three hour press conference...bull**** looks and sounds the same in any language.

Just give it to us in ordinary language that everyone can understand will you Dave? Save you political jargon next time;)

Yes, Chirac will win by a landslide.

But, these people, like Hansen, come to the forefront because of genuine concerns by the population. Forget the 'supporters' bit, these are just every day people that are concerned about the level of immigration in France and the effect of the common market. Once the major parties take on board their concerns (as Howard did here) the 'supporters' evaporate, just as happenned to one nation.

It is one of the great positives of democracy that left and right wing extremism can come to the forefront and force change to the policies of the major parties.

Me along with my mum and dad voted, postally. The sad thing is we only got our voting information on the day after the election. You'd think postal votes would want to be done before?

I still think Chirac will win it, after speaking to my aunty she also believes that this will happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by chicken minute
If such a system were used in Australia, Labour would have been in power for the last 50 years as they have just about always been the single most popular party.

Or maybe after a few terms they would lose their popularity!!!!

In Australia there has been a 'time for a change' mentality. For some reason it appears a lot of people will give that as a credible reason for voting for an opposition party.

No they didn't, Chirac wins with 82% vote, people who didn't really want to vote for Chirac had to, as they said there was no other choice. :D

Democracy is in real trouble when you have the situation in a country like France (which is one of the very first Secular Liberal Democracies) where the choice for President is a corrupt incompetent Tory vs a Racist Zealot.

some choice huh ? :(

I read that some of the French press put the choice down to picking a crook or a fascist......

Interesting to note that some french folk planned to drop their ballots in the box wearing rubber gloves ...only to be told they faced possible charges for something like 'disrespect'!!!!

Very good Frodo...
In Australia there has been a 'time for a change' mentality. For some reason it appears a lot of people will give that as a credible reason for voting for an opposition party.

It's how your little mate got in!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by London Dave
IVery good Frodo...

It's how your little mate got in!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nope, I can't accept that. Admittedly people didn't vote Howard in though. They voted Keating out. The Lizard of Oz. The most hated Australian prime minister in history.

Problem solved eh? It is the policies of people like Chirac, who got the overwhelming majority of the vote, that ensured that Le Pen got as far as he did.

As in Australia, the defeat of the extreme right-wing party at an election does nothing to solve the problems beneath the surface that saw the rise of Hanson, Le Pen and countless other right-wing politicians around the world who utilise mass discontent for their own means.

These issues will rise again in the very near future, only in stronger and far more dangerous forms.

Frodo

I would agree PJK was on the nose in 96 but I don't know about this "most hated PM in Australia's history" thing.

Sure, he polarises opinion - you either love him of hate him I guess and he was nothing if not controversial.

But lets look at history shall we ?

The Edwardian PMs, particulary Reid and Barton were despised by the Australian Public.

Barton was ridiculed as a drunk and a womaniser - eventually he was drummed out of his own party.

Reid was never forgiven by the people of NSW for his 'on again off again' attitude to Federation and later, in the Federal arena, he was a free trader instead of a protectionist - brave but stupid. He also was alone in opposing the White Australia policy - again very brave, but in 1901, total political suicide I'm afraid.

Then we had Billy Hughes - the bellicose racist tub-thumping w@nker who had a hissy fit and left the ALp to join the other side when the Conscription Referendum failed (twice) - a real popular guy - NOT

Then there was Stanley Bruce - even by the laid back standards of the 1920's, Bruce was ridiculed and despised for his arrogance, complacency and 'Born to Rule' attitude to government. He did nothing but keep the chair warm and was 'permanently out to lunch' so to speak.

Then Joseph Scullin who started well enough but then got completely buried under the catastrophe that was the Great Depression. Come the moment - goodbye the man, he just wasn't up to it.

Menzies' first term 1939-1941 was also a complete disaster, he proved to so inept that his own party threw him out of office.

Then there was McMahon, enough said about this man, easily the least intelligent Pm Australia has ever had. Very erratic - thats all I'll say about his performance !

so you see Frodo - PJK might not be liked very much but 'the most hated PM in Australia's history" ?

I dunno 'bout that.

cheers

Originally posted by Frodo

Nope, I can't accept that. Admittedly people didn't vote Howard in though. They voted Keating out. The Lizard of Oz. The most hated Australian prime minister in history.

Any man named the Lizard of Oz by those ****ers writing for the pommy tabloids gets my votei:D :D :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back