FTA-TV The Front Bar (2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Molloy’s ok if Pang is there. Love it when Santo comes on. The whole D-Gen/Late Show was brilliant tv in its day, Gleisner being a big part of it but agree he probably wasn’t the best of performers.

This turned into a reminiscence of The Late Show fairly quickly... fwiw reckon Tom Gleisner was the least funny of the lot.

As for the show, generally enjoy it still but do gave a growing habit of showing the same clips repeatedly. Even before Steven O'Dwyer appeared on it, reckon they showed that post-game speech of his three times previously.
TG was always a little under rated IMHO, his test tube-o-matic is still the funniest thing I've ever seen on TV, even outshone the Thunderbirds skits.

The whole D-Gen/Late Show was brilliant tv in its day, Gleisner being a big part of it but agree he probably wasn’t the best of performers.
Yep, watching old clips of it on YT has been a great way to get through this lockdown (got to find my DVD of the show which had a hilarious commentary track as well).

Molloy’s ok if Pang is there. Love it when Santo comes on. The whole D-Gen/Late Show was brilliant tv in its day, Gleisner being a big part of it but agree he probably wasn’t the best of performers.

The show has excelled mainly because it's stuck with it's theme/presentation of being basically three blokes siting in a pub talking footy.

Despite having different comedic styles, Molloy and Pang feed off each other well (similar to Roy and HG) and Maher, as host, does a good job of trying to keep the running sheet on schedule between his giggling.
Concur, when Pang is not there Molloy struggles, while Molloy's absence is not so noticeable.

And while some guests can really make the show, I don't consider them necessarily a deal breaker...

Mark Harvey was good value. His story of running the boundary after his final match waving goodbye with people in the crowd crying and hugging each other, was a classic. As he discovered shortly after, it had nothing to do with his retirement - as the shock news of Princes Di's death had broken just before the final siren...

Chris Connelly was also good, for other reasons - arrived to coach Freo when they were 8M in debt and even their gym equipment was leased...

Last edited:
With COVID effecting the ability to land guests I think the show has struggled a bit in the second half of the year especially

what’s it been 5/6 years, the show needs a bit of a refresh, not sure what

Hopefully a COVID free season will get it back on track

Titus O’Reilly. How the fu** does he get airtime?
I like Titus.
Once i replied to a joke of his with a counter-joke, which he then replied to in a positive way, so it made me feel good.
But I have always enjoyed him. :D

Now we've won the flag I'm hoping Titus slowly disappears from these shows. Haven't found him funny for years.

In my view - Titus O'Reily is an intellectual version of Lawrence Mooney or Dave Hughes, all three are about as funny as my last visit to the dentist..!

To be fair on all comedians - given the increasing spreadsheet list of what they can't joke about, it's not an easy profession, even for those who are naturally funny people...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Titus literally reads his tweets for the week out. You could play Titus twitter bingo during his 5 minute segment. If he could sprinkle in some fresh material that'd be nice

Titus is fine on Twitter and probably fine on a pod but hes far too flat for live TV. Its nice to see a self aware Melbourne supporter but thats about the extent of my praise for him.
He's good in a live show. I went to one a couple years ago at The Imperial.

Yep, watching old clips of it on YT has been a great way to get through this lockdown (got to find my DVD of the show which had a hilarious commentary track as well).
The Late Show has some of the best Australian comedy ever imo, and this is coming from someone who watched it later in life as I was about 3 or 4 when it originally aired, lot of their skits still hold up really well even today.

The Late Show has some of the best Australian comedy ever imo, and this is coming from someone who watched it later in life as I was about 3 or 4 when it originally aired, lot of their skits still hold up really well even today.

Spot on. I was only 11 when it first aired, but I was allowed to watch on 10pm on a Saturday night. Along with the original Fast Forward, nothing beats them.

In my view - Titus O'Reily is an intellectual version of Lawrence Mooney
Nah, Mooney is funny I reckon and was good tonight....cannot stand Pang, pathetic comedy. What the hell was Dave O'Neill on for? Promoted, not ironically, as a "famous Geelong fan" ....then he admits he started only started following football during Covid!!

Nah, Mooney is funny I reckon and was good tonight....cannot stand Pang, pathetic comedy. What the hell was Dave O'Neill on for? Promoted, not ironically, as a "famous Geelong fan" ....then he admits he started only started following football during Covid!!
The whole thing about him being synonymous with Geelong was absolutely tongue in cheek. Doesn’t know a footy from a bowling ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back