FTA-TV The Front Bar (Thurs Ed) 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Terrific show in spite of Maher who really offers nothing and has no chemistry with the other two.

When Santo Cilauro is on it shifts up a few years and would be brilliant with him permanently as host. Don’t think Santo would be interested
I like the idea of Santo hosting the show but if the producers thought it was a great idea, it would have come to fruition now. Maybe Santo's too busy as well.

Then it would just be Santo, Sam and Ed without Ed.

tbh I wouldn't mind seeing them do the footy when the soccer isn't on, but I think given how Seven treated them when Sports Fever was on...

Contrary to popular belief, I think Maher is perfect for this show. I don't like him normally and he has struggled to find a place the last decade or so, but he balances out Pang, Molloy and the guest brilliantly.

My 87yr old mum loves Andy, says he reminds her of a grandpa struggling to keep his grandkids under control....:D

Francesca Cumani was on last night, and they were showing footage of her on another broadcast in the mounting yard commentating on a horse that had its dong hanging out for all to see. When they cut back to her at the bar they asked if it was common, or something like that? She responded saying that was used to that. I couldn't tell if she was being literal or expressing a metaphor...

First couple of 2019 eps underline how important it is to get the right type of main guest that suits the style of the show

Malthouse seemed to be treating the questions as if he was 'On The Couch' and an awkward fit for the show and Scarlett offered virtually nothing; even when the hosts prompted him on some funny anecdotes he struggled.

They do a pretty good job of covering for a weak guest but it's a lot more enjoyable when they have a guest who is on their wavelength (e.g. Jimmy Jess).

and Scarlett offered virtually nothing; even when the hosts prompted him on some funny anecdotes he struggled...

Scarlo has always been 'Captain Serious'. There's no way he'd be a good fit at the Front Bar. Jimmy Bartel similarly failed when they tried him on the Thursday night Footy Show. Too damn serious. James Kelly was probably the most jovial of our Team SuperMegaAwesome 2007-11 if they needed someone from that era.

Scarlo has always been 'Captain Serious'. There's no way he'd be a good fit at the Front Bar. Jimmy Bartel similarly failed when they tried him on the Thursday night Footy Show. Too damn serious. James Kelly was probably the most jovial of our Team SuperMegaAwesome 2007-11 if they needed someone from that era.

I reckon a couple beers deep Stevie J could tell some stories

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Contrary to popular belief, I think Maher is perfect for this show. I don't like him normally and he has struggled to find a place the last decade or so, but he balances out Pang, Molloy and the guest brilliantly.
Maher seems to have eased up on that horrible forced laugh after every joke. It was like having a one man laugh track. It makes him a lot more palatable and as a result the show more enjoyable.

Maher seems to have eased up on that horrible forced laugh after every joke. It was like having a one man laugh track. It makes him a lot more palatable and as a result the show more enjoyable.

I think his best quality is he's non threatening, doesn't make it about him an let's the others take the piss out of him completely.

I don't particularly like him but that's the hosts job.

I reckon TFB producers went on a hunch that even though he was well known as being a reluctant media performer, the relaxed style of the show would bring out the best in him. But it was not to be.

Yep, definitely this week's was the best show of the year, helped by a guest in Glendenning that was more in tune with the show's humour than previous guests.

But the real secret of the shop's success is the great old footage they get and how they use it; how on earth did they know and find the footage of them discussing who was BOG when it had never been seen publicly?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back