FTA-TV The Front Bar (Thurs Ed) 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, definitely this week's was the best show of the year, helped by a guest in Glendenning that was more in tune with the show's humour than previous guests.

But the real secret of the shop's success is the great old footage they get and how they use it; how on earth did they know and find the footage of them discussing who was BOG when it had never been seen publicly?

Channel 7...

When Sam is absent for a couple of episodes the quality of the show will drop.

Did drop a lot last year when he missed a few. Suppose when you consider there’s only three of them and one is Maher...no surprise. Molloy needs a strong lead like Pang and his Tony Martin days.

Yep, definitely this week's was the best show of the year, helped by a guest in Glendenning that was more in tune with the show's humour than previous guests.

But the real secret of the shop's success is the great old footage they get and how they use it; how on earth did they know and find the footage of them discussing who was BOG when it had never been seen publicly?

Has the vibe of a 70’s or 80’s show,The Footy Show is more controlled and serious.

Has the vibe of a 70’s or 80’s show,The Footy Show is more controlled and serious.

TFS has also been mega rubbish for a long time.

FB probably one of the wittiest footy shows ever made

We record both....have to say though that I'm thoroughly enjoying TheFootyShow, which has really surprised me, did not expect to like it one bit.

...and have gone off TFB quite a bit tbh, just not a fan of Maher or Malloy.

Did drop a lot last year when he missed a few. Suppose when you consider there’s only three of them and one is Maher...no surprise. Molloy needs a strong lead like Pang and his Tony Martin days.
Good call. Molloy has always worked better bouncing off somebody, especially Tony Martin. When he's just the main guy he flounders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree Mick needs others to bounce off I think even he knows that. But I think Andy Maher is a key ingredient as much as Sam. He’s perfect for the show because he’s not interested in making it about him the way most hosts are. He just sets those blokes up all the time and is even happy to cop the brunt of stuff amongst it and doesnt have the ego of a lot of others who host shows. Can just see a lot of others working with comedians and trying to be one themselves. It’s his best facet even on radio where after he does your bloody head in trying to ask a question 6 different ways
he finally gets it out but let’s guests open up and run the direction of stuff.

Agree Mick needs others to bounce off I think even he knows that. But I think Andy Maher is a key ingredient as much as Sam. He’s perfect for the show because he’s not interested in making it about him the way most hosts are. He just sets those blokes up all the time and is even happy to cop the brunt of stuff amongst it and doesnt have the ego of a lot of others who host shows. Can just see a lot of others working with comedians and trying to be one themselves. It’s his best facet even on radio where after he does your bloody head in trying to ask a question 6 different ways
he finally gets it out but let’s guests open up and run the direction of stuff.

I've often pondered if Santo Cilauro might have been a better host (pending his other commitments) but you've nicely summed up why Andy Maher works well on this show.

Don't think the Front Bar needs too much tinkering with. It slaughtered the Footy Show last night. The Front Bar had their highest Melbourne figures yet at 263,000 with the Footy Show floundering at 85,000. And nationwide 509,000 to the Front Bar compared to 185,000 for the Footy Show. The Footy Show is in real trouble.

Not surprising when you replace Pang with Ryan Fitzgerald.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back