FTA-TV The Front Bar (Thurs Ed) 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Fitzy should be a rotating pannelst. Pang and especially Malloy can fall flat with their jokes.

Really?

Molloy is a comic genius. Perfect timing and delivery most of the time.

Without him, I wouldn’t watch the show.

Him and Pang have got their sarcastic wit flowing smoothly now.

Mayer is just embarrassing but endearing at the same time.

A likeable idiot. Like Forest Gump.

Have never seen the comic genius in Malloy that you see, but to each his own I guess.....Have never liked him and that is going back years ago.

Pang and Mahar are good.

Travis Cloke has been a good guest tonight

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The problem is how ubiquitous it is. Along with gambling, alcohol has already become synonymous with going to the AFL, it's even moreso these days with the embedded advertising.

It’s only beer for Christ sake.

It’s not like they’re sculling shots of vodka and getting wasted.

Beer is part of life. Like breathing air is.

Have never seen the comic genius in Malloy that you see, but to each his own I guess.....Have never liked him and that is going back years ago.

Pang and Mahar are good.

Yes, each to his own indeed.

There’s a long list of comedians I find totally unfunny.

MM is a comic writer, actor and all round smartarse who never takes himself too seriously. Every show is prepared with a long list of jokes flowing along and Malloy keeps it all running smoothly and covers up the awkward bits when things go a bit slow.
Usually when Maher talks.

I can’t believe anyone thinks Maher is good at anything on tv.

As soon as he starts speaking you’re waiting for him to finish and shut the hell up.

Anyway...I like the show cause they go to great lengths finding old footage of interviews and segments that went wrong at the time and they generally just take the p1ss out of everyone’s shortcomings. It’s great.

two weeks in a row my stupid IQ box has forgotten to add on the extra 30 minutes of recording time that I clearly tell it to add on every week and cut the show off in the ad break before Mick's Multi. Where am i meant to get my gambling normalisation from now?

Thought the Gary Ablett Snr interview from '93 was a pisser. Can someone tell me why he was wearing full kit that day if the Cat's weren't playing?

That’s what they did in the 80s and 90s. It was a strange era thinking back.

It’s actually a rare occasion where someone got more than two sentences in row from Gaz snr.

Classic footage. Every question by Williamson fell flat as a tack. Hilarious.

To be fair, considering the form Geelong were in at the end of '93 they'd probably have won the flag if not for the pesky fact that they missed the finals. Ablett had every right to be snarky

Yes, just another factor in how the EFC team full of U23s made it to the GF when history says we should’ve never got there.

Yes, each to his own indeed.

There’s a long list of comedians I find totally unfunny.

MM is a comic writer, actor and all round smartarse who never takes himself too seriously. Every show is prepared with a long list of jokes flowing along and Malloy keeps it all running smoothly and covers up the awkward bits when things go a bit slow.
Usually when Maher talks.

I can’t believe anyone thinks Maher is good at anything on tv.

As soon as he starts speaking you’re waiting for him to finish and shut the hell up.

Anyway...I like the show cause they go to great lengths finding old footage of interviews and segments that went wrong at the time and they generally just take the p1ss out of everyone’s shortcomings. It’s great.

Or radio...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought the Gary Ablett Snr interview from '93 was a pisser. Can someone tell me why he was wearing full kit that day if the Cat's weren't playing?
I reckon it was 1995, before the Carlton vs Brisbane QF.
Ablett was receiving the Coleman Medal (presented by my father who was in the background) before the match. And also did a lap of honour before the game I reckon from memory.

Last edited:
The joke about that AFLM player being a virgin seemed inappropriate.
I was gunna say: Sam Newman was often criticised for his inappropriate verbal gaffs, and that they probably helped kill The Footy Show, but Molloy treads a fine line, so I wouldn't be surprised if he accidentally crosses it one night and starts a big "few-roar-ray"

It was a pissa when Landy admitted that an umpire gave him the Dipper Brownlow leak at the start of the night when he was hosting, then said that Blight's leak was the worst kept secret at the time, and that he won dosh on it (unless that last bit was a joke).
The League have always said -- at least as far as I can recall -- that it never happens, and that at worst they know a couple of rounds in advance.
Perhaps things change in recent decades.

Landy, Roberts, Cometti, McKenna, Robertson, Morphett…. loved this crew.
Don't get me started..... I preferred the more "real" blokes whose enthusiasm came across as far less fake (assuming there was any 'fakeness' to it at all), but they were suddenly shoved out of the way for the smooooooth guys like Broooooce.
Eh, maybe I'm looking at the past with rose-coloured glasses, I dunno.

Last edited:
Don't get me started..... I preferred the more "real" blokes whose energy came across as far less fake, but they were suddenly shoved out of the way for the smooooooth guys like Broooooce.
Eh, maybe I'm looking at the past with rose-coloured glasses, I dunno.

You're not. They were better commentators. For the following reasons:

1. As Landy said (how good was Bill Collins' advice) - be yourself. They all were, for better or worse.
2. They actually called the game.
3. I can't remember Lou Richards or Bob Davis ever, that is, EVER, droning on about what they would have done or how great they were. The game in front of them was the attraction. That alone separates them from an awful lot of callers now.
4. The commentators who weren't ex-players like Landy didn't spend all their time sucking up to ex-players and come off like a pathetic fanboy (unlike say that ******** Brayshaw).
5. They never barracked. They called and enjoyed the game as it was.

That's just for starters.

One of the funnier episodes they've had.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back