FTA-TV The Front Bar (Thurs Ed) 2018

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Thought the Gary Ablett Snr interview from '93 was a pisser. Can someone tell me why he was wearing full kit that day if the Cat's weren't playing?

It was Prelim final day (when Essendon beat Adelaide), and because Geelong were out of contention, Ablett did a lap of honour around the boundary line.

Definitely 1993 too. Because in 1994 and 1995 Ablett was playing Prelim final day both times.

Dixie Normous

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
If you're an AFL 'M' player and you're still a virgin, there's something going on that needs to be addressed. These boys should be able to pick up any dumb slapper off the street and get their balls wet

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
If you're an AFL 'M' player and you're still a virgin, there's something going on that needs to be addressed. These boys should be able to pick up any dumb slapper off the street and get their balls wet

That's up to them and their mental or sexual health providers.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Landy, Roberts, Cometti, McKenna, Robertson, Morphett…. loved this crew.

They had a certain style about them that suited the football that was played at the time. Callers like Landy, Robertson, McKenna, etc would be stunted by today's game, they liked to call the game that was flowing, I just couldn't imagine them calling tackle after tackle, scrum after scrum.

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
Anyone that says AFLM needs to be shot.

Absolute moronic.
It's the male version of afl, AFLM seems like the appropriate name, at least as an interim. It's only called AFL because we had the privilege of 150 years of AFL before women were allowed to have their own league.

You're not. They were better commentators. For the following reasons:

1. As Landy said (how good was Bill Collins' advice) - be yourself. They all were, for better or worse.
2. They actually called the game.
3. I can't remember Lou Richards or Bob Davis ever, that is, EVER, droning on about what they would have done or how great they were. The game in front of them was the attraction. That alone separates them from an awful lot of callers now.
4. The commentators who weren't ex-players like Landy didn't spend all their time sucking up to ex-players and come off like a pathetic fanboy (unlike say that ******** Brayshaw).
5. They never barracked. They called and enjoyed the game as it was.

That's just for starters.

One of the funnier episodes they've had.

all of your points, especially point 3, if levelled at current day commentators, they would say, "oh its just a bit of fun".

in moderation. or not at all actually. thanks

It's the male version of afl, AFLM seems like the appropriate name, at least as an interim. It's only called AFL because we had the privilege of 150 years of AFL before women were allowed to have their own league.
Its an interesting dicsussion to be had. A few points

* people say "i love AFL", "I play afl".
* i remember a port player (port adelaide afl listed) in the sanfl sledge another with "im playing afl next week, what are you doing?". suggesting he was playing seniors next week.
- so if a player is dropped to the 2s, they arent actually playing afl? I play VFL/SANFL?WAFL. So a state league player tells some random "I play VFL" not afl?

so many variables and contradictions in term.

Bay Giant

All Australian
Jun 20, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Congratulations on being the dumbest poster on Big Footy.

That is some f....g achievement.

wagstaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
Landy was one of my favourite commentators back in the 80s/90s; just enjoyed his professionalism and style of calling.

As others have said was great on TFB. Was interesting that sense of humour never really was displayed back while he was calling as it was such a different culture to today where largely you were expected to just call the game (a style I prefer).

wagstaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
Candy was brilliant on Thursday.

Anyone know why he left 7 at the end of 1999?

There was a fair bit of change in Ch 7 commentators around that time. Peter McKenna was forced out a year or two earlier if memory serves after being given demeaning roles like making occasional observations from the top of the Southern Stand. Drew Morphett was forced out at the end of 2000 and Terry Wheeler was pushed out around the same time.

In hindsight, there was a massive change in the style of commentary as there was so much of a personnel change. It really began in earnest with 9/10/Fox getting the rights in 2002 but it seemed to start towards the end of the 1990s. I think we saw the change of commentators just commentating on the game to commentators being 'personalities' and doing banter and attempts at humour.

I do recall Dennis Commetti saying that it was a much more straight-laced culture at 7 in the 90s and it was only when he joined 9 in 2002 that he could indulge in more of his trademark sayings that he became famous for. He was certainly one of the better ones at that sort of thing but overall I think it's been a negative for the standard of footy commentary.

Mighty Eagles

Premiership Player
Mar 31, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
Yep, a lot of truth in what you said.

I've got to be honest though, a lot (not all, but a lot) of the personalities that now feature prominately in commentary teams give me the tom ****. I think their style is worse than the conservative style of the 90s.

Let the callers call and the expert commentators add insightful analysis. Keep it simply, Sally, I'd argue for.

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think it should be acknowledged that with the additions of Papalia and Speed over the past couple of years that there are some positive moves being made in TV commentary.

Landy made for a terrific episode though and this is coming from someone not of his generation.

There was a fair bit of change in Ch 7 commentators around that time. Peter McKenna was forced out a year or two earlier if memory serves after being given demeaning roles like making occasional observations from the top of the Southern Stand. Drew Morphett was forced out at the end of 2000 and Terry Wheeler was pushed out around the same time.

In hindsight, there was a massive change in the style of commentary as there was so much of a personnel change. It really began in earnest with 9/10/Fox getting the rights in 2002 but it seemed to start towards the end of the 1990s. I think we saw the change of commentators just commentating on the game to commentators being 'personalities' and doing banter and attempts at humour.

I do recall Dennis Commetti saying that it was a much more straight-laced culture at 7 in the 90s and it was only when he joined 9 in 2002 that he could indulge in more of his trademark sayings that he became famous for. He was certainly one of the better ones at that sort of thing but overall I think it's been a negative for the standard of footy commentary.

i dont think ur post could be anymore correct.

re dennis. when he was on 9 i recall fondly sam, jimmy and lyon had a show the lead into the footy. theyd cross to dennis who'd talk about teh upcoming game then use his pointy, sharp dry wit to engage with the three guys. He's versatile.

rbartlett

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
It was Prelim final day (when Essendon beat Adelaide), and because Geelong were out of contention, Ablett did a lap of honour around the boundary line.

Definitely 1993 too. Because in 1994 and 1995 Ablett was playing Prelim final day both times.

Yes Partridge that is correct. Well done
"One of the highlights of yesterday was former Richmond great Kevin Bartlett presenting the John Coleman Medal awarded for the League's top goalkicker, to Geelong's champion Gary Ablett" - SMH , 19 Sept 1993.

Chicken Parma

Team Captain
Oct 31, 2011
Leongatha
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Jaguars, Renegades
re dennis. when he was on 9 i recall fondly sam, jimmy and lyon had a show the lead into the footy. theyd cross to dennis who'd talk about teh upcoming game then use his pointy, sharp dry wit to engage with the three guys. He's versatile.

You mean Any Given Sunday?

Back