FTA-TV The Front Bar

Remove this Banner Ad

Back for season 2023 with an all sports show.

Best footy show on TV.
No argument about it being the best footy show on TV, but Molloy in particular struggles with sports outside of football. Also has a shockingly bad habit of talking over the other panelists and answering his own questions of guests. If a producer could rein that in, any version they do of the show would be infinitely better.

Sam Pang clearly has a good working knowledge of most sports they discuss and Andy Maher actually works well on there.

No argument about it being the best footy show on TV, but Molloy in particular struggles with sports outside of football. Also has a shockingly bad habit of talking over the other panelists and answering his own questions of guests. If a producer could rein that in, any version they do of the show would be infinitely better.

Sam Pang clearly has a good working knowledge of most sports they discuss and Andy Maher actually works well on there.

Those two carry the show. Molloy's standard 3 lines of "humour" (none have been funny for years) wears thin very quickly.

Those two carry the show. Molloy's standard 3 lines of "humour" (none have been funny for years) wears thin very quickly.
Wasn't Molloy's old brand of humour tied to being a long-suffering Richmond supporter? Changing the brand to being smug because your football team has seen a lot of success in recent years doesn't quite have the same attraction to the audience.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wasn't Molloy's old brand of humour tied to being a long-suffering Richmond supporter? Changing the brand to being smug because your football team has seen a lot of success in recent years doesn't quite have the same attraction to the audience.

I saw him live around 1991. He wasn't very funny then either.

Think you might be right, plus the usual "celebrity-becomes-self-declared-spokesman-for-fans" thing where he's treated like he speaks for all Richmond fans.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Leaping Larry L would've got thrown out of whack too, when he couldn't mine humour out of being a long suffering Richmond supporter

Hope that Andy is back tomorrow night. I don't like the guy. But at least he seems interested. Mel was shocking last week. Looked like that she didn't want to be there or doesn't like Mick and Sam.

Hope that Andy is back tomorrow night. I don't like the guy. But at least he seems interested. Mel was shocking last week. Looked like that she didn't want to be there or doesn't like Mick and Sam.

Andy is used to Mick's schtick and how to deal with it, Mel seemed a bit unsure how to deal with Mick on a few occassions. As the show progressed she started to become more comfortable in the surrounds.

Please Front Bar, no more Glen Robbins. I've seen him on the show twice, he contributes nothing, and tonight he was drunk, made no sense at all. Thank goodness two really interesting guests after that to save the show. Glen can be funny, but not on Front Bar.

I thought Mel McLachlan did a really good job filling in for Andy Maher.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do think was awkward?
Her chemistry with the other two. Without going all Dennis Denuto - I don't think she's a great fit for that panel. Not that I'm a huge Andy Maher fan either. Is it permanent or just temporary? I haven't really kept up with the show.

Concur on Mel McLaughlin. She is a very good presenter in her own right, but looks all at sea in the Front Bar structure. Not sure that banter of that level is really her thing and it shows. For all of Andy Maher's other faults, he holds the structure on the Front Bar together really well. MM just doesn't have that comedic touch it needs.

Last nights show seemed all over the place. Andy certainly seems better at steering teh ship than Mel as well as controlling Mick

Concur on Mel McLaughlin. She is a very good presenter in her own right, but looks all at sea in the Front Bar structure. Not sure that banter of that level is really her thing and it shows. For all of Andy Maher's other faults, he holds the structure on the Front Bar together really well. MM just doesn't have that comedic touch it needs.

She is terrible on the cricket - always stumbling over words and making mistakes. Looks get you places, not necessarily talent.

She doesn't have the experience that Maher has on these types of shows. Plus Maher has known Molloy and Pang for a number of years so have a natural rapport.

Please Front Bar, no more Glen Robbins. I've seen him on the show twice, he contributes nothing, and tonight he was drunk, made no sense at all. Thank goodness two really interesting guests after that to save the show. Glen can be funny, but not on Front Bar.

I thought Mel McLachlan did a really good job filling in for Andy Maher.
Agreed. He’s good as coight (which has run its race) Bloody annoying on FB.

Glenn Robbins is good value on ''Have You Been Paying Attention'' because there's one sports segment on that show. He's not much value on a sports show.

Glenn Robbins is good value on ''Have You Been Paying Attention'' because there's one sports segment on that show. He's not much value on a sports show.
I was surprised to hear him say on radio he was a football follower in his yoof, (growing up in Strathmore but supporting Carlton, going to Princes Park)
I must be the only one who doesn't like Pang...just find his comedy nasty, unfunny. He is only mildly amusing when he is (but rarely) self-deprecating, like referring to chinese restaurants and that

I don't really get the point of them sitting at a pretend front bar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back