Opinion The full stop to 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
I haven't actually posted on here a whole lot since the flag and I wanted to put my final thoughts on the season that was on this board rather than thinking about doing it every few weeks and then being lazy.

2021 was a pretty shithouse year for me away from footy, so I lived through the team more than just about any other time in my life. I remember posting on here if we didn't fall on the banana peel that was Freo in round 1 I could see us winning our first few games, and we didn't just win our first three but first nine! Watching us completely shut Richmond out was so impressive, then what was just as impressive was our wins against North, Sydney and Carlton where we didn't play close to our best but we held up so well defensively and were able to get the job done. That was particularly satisfying as we've been on the wrong end of trying to roll a top side and they still do it without us ever looking like we can genuinely win the game.

The first loss surprisingly didn't bother me at all, the Crows actually played bloody well that night and it still took some questionable umpiring and a last gasp goal to beat us. I knew going into that game the results against the Dogs/Lions in the following two weeks would tell us a lot more than the Crows game, and for once I was right. We bullied the Dogs and made them look awful, then the Lions probably should have been further up against us and we completely took over the second half to win convincingly.

Middle of the year our form was very up and down and happy to admit I was at the forefront of the 'we are going to miss top 4 just like 2016 North' melt brigade after we lost to GWS at the MCG. We then went to our favourite interstate ground in AO and thumped Port which saw spirits rise again (This was a seriously good performance, I feel it is almost a bit underrated as one of our best wins in 2021). The draw against the Hawks was complete garbage BUT it was still two points at least, then the Dogs got over us at the MCG. Channeling my inner TK I'll give myself a pat on the back as I remember me and Grimesy87 said post-Dogs game that we weren't that worried, a lot went their way on the night and our goalkicking was absolute shithouse. Little did we know that'd be our last loss of the year.

The final couple games were pretty uneventful, a bizarre lightning delay almost cost us that win against the Eagles but we held on. The night we beat the Cats I remember I was at my parents and my stepdad had to go to the ER due to chest pain, he left in an ambulance so I ended up watching the game with my mum like a little kid again. I even posted on here in the third quarter saying it'd be hilarious if we won, and we showed an immense amount of character to run down Geelong and truly bury Maxs goalkicking demons with that after the siren winner. The craziest final round since 1987 saw us clinch top spot and a home final with that kick, and bloody hell it meant a lot to me and my family (Stepdad ended up being fine).

Finals was a different beast entirely - I was very confident going into the Lions game as I feel they are similar to us but we are just better at what we do, however we all know in finals one bad five minutes can completely stuff your season. For the first time all year I actually had a bit of a cry when Brown kicked that first goal 15 seconds in, bit of a strange thing to get emotional at but like the Dogs game we just 'looked' on.

The prelim was the game I was the most nervous for all year - including the GF. Geelong have had so many poor finals under pressure but they are still a good side and had enough guns out there to roll us, and surely we had to have a bad game eventually? The boys said get stuffed and proceeded to demolish Geelong, with Gawns performance almost underrated now as the GF was an even more ridiculous game. I couldn't help but be a bit sad that Gawns 55m goal wasn't at the MCG as I reckon the members stand would have collapsed from the noise, but from what we could tell on TV the crowd in Perth was more than making enough noise to support the team.

In the best move the NRL ever made to help out the AFL they moved the Storm prelim to Saturday twilight which let me watch that and try not to think about the GF as its a bloody long day when you play a GF at 7:20pm. It almost felt surreal that we were going into a GF and as the favourite, but also the feeling of 'if not now, when?' was at the forefront of my mind. Literally everything had gone our way in 2021 (Despite playing a GF away from home), and although we deserved to be where we were the fear of throwing it away at the last gasp was too real.

First quarter felt like a dream - a scrappy start then our pressure was threatening to break the Dogs and it looked the Dees by how much. The second quarter went to an arm wrestle which saw the Dogs end up on top, and the anxiety came storming back. I'll admit at half time I went for a drive because I needed to not watch or think about the game for a bit. I remember thinking I could drive for an hour and not watch the second half which sounds absolutely mental but I've always hated watching our games on TV compared to live and get way more nervous - but I didn't drive for an hour. I checked score and saw the Dogs had kicked the first two goals of the third quarter and thought well *, there goes the flag. Checked it again a few minutes later and we were down by a point - the anxiety was replaced by pride. Tuned back into the game as the ball went inside F50 and spilled behind to Trac for THAT goal, and we all know what happened after that.

My overwhelming feeling at the end of the game and even now is still just that - pride. My whole life (I'm 32) I've waited for us to be a consistent, tough and watchable team. We've gotten the watchable bits at times and the tough bits at times, but we've never put all three together into a season until now. We had so many wins in 2021 that normally we would have thrown away (Too many to list, but I am going to shout out the incredibly nervy start to the Richmond game as one) and it is just so ******* awesome to know that even if your team is down 4-5-6 goals they'll still have a big crack at getting back into the game. It was almost shocking to watch how teams struggled to score against us because the coaches and players had absolutely nailed down a defensive system, like I've gone from being terrified at high balls going inside our defensive half to being very confident we'll win the ball back if they just launch it in.

I apologize if this post comes across as a bit me me me, but I haven't put my thoughts down in writing since the final siren went in the GF and just wanted to get it out there before we officially start the campaign to win another one at our home ground. I don't know if we will, but for the first time in my life I know we'll legitimately give it everything we've got, and I can't ******* wait to see them unfurl the flag and run out again in 5 weeks time. This board itself had a few issues in 2021 but as someone who has posted on here since 2004 I thought it was apt I put this writeup here, as aside from a few friends you lot are the people I've discussed footy with the most by a country mile. We did a bloody good job at making the terrible times on here humorous and enjoyable, now lets enjoy the good times we ******* deserve.

edit - I encourage all other posters to share their own closing thoughts on the season, I don't want this thread to be just about my waffling.

schmuttt your step dad got taken in an ambulance to the ER with chest pains but you and your mum stayed home to watch the game?

That is some grade A ******* commitment there lol

Yeah I can see how it reads lol, but at that stage you couldn't go to a hospital unless you were a patient.
Yeah I read it originally as 'my step dad was getting so excited about the game that he may have been having a heart attack. Yet my mum and I were not going to miss this moment for anything. So we called him an ambulance watched him get wheeled out and taken to hospital and kept watching the game#YOLO lol'

Hope he is ok though

It was a wild ride, the Geelong pf was absolute delirium. I was so nervous I was getting a beer every few minutes, that third quarter when the goals were raining in, I was cackling and screaming like some crazy old homeless dude. We started the season well, was impressed with the Geelong game but the Richmond I really started to believe. I took my neice who only recently jumped on the bandwagon and I think it was either late in the 3rd or early in the 4th that she said Melbourne will win, of course she's not aware of the mental scars this team has had on me for the past 20 years, the 90s I was a kid so it hadn't hit me until maybe my teens. I really didn't think we played great against Sydney but was proud the team still got the job done. The Carlton game when we were 27 up at 3q time I knew we had the game won. Something I would not have felt before, I still remember telling my dad that, who basically said don't say that, which is fair because my dad was 9 when Melbourne won its last gf, so with 57 years of scarring I think that was warranted. I just couldn't believe I saw a team 9-0. I went to my cricket club presentation night the Friday before the Adelaide game, we have a lot of melbourne supporters at the club, I remember a mate saying see you at the grand final, so there certainly was a buzz around dee supporters. The mid to late season form slump wasn't great but we still were ticking wins a long the way. The Collingwood loss was a little annoying but the circumstances surrounding it being Buckley's last game and being in a form slump it was bound to happen. I was a bit worried after the gws game but once we started to find form again I was confident we were going to make the 4. I honestly didn't really rate the other contenders, there was really no stand out so it was thrilling knowing this was our biggest chance in a long time. Winning that last home and away game was unbelievable and finishing the season on top and only 4 losses for the season was just mind boggling. Doesn't feel that long ago that we were struggling to win 4 games over the season. It's like a mirror image of our first 9 rounds of 2012, 0-9 to 9-0. I to felt pretty confident in finals, Brisbane was a nervous game for the players and probably should have had that game won by half time. Geelong was nervous as hell but was the same thing should have been over by half time, but boy what a third quarter. As mentioned delirium delirium delirium. I was actually pretty confident with the gf, just from social media I just felt the players were bonding, and though the Bulldogs were impressive in their preliminary final, I felt they were riding their luck and port Adelaide just choked big time, I actually wouldn't say that about Geelong, Geelong tried but were too old and slow, but port on their home deck shat the bed big time. Must admit getting 19 down midway through the 3rd quarter in the gf, I thought we were cooked, we slowed the game down and had some control but we just weren't hitting the scoreboard, but what followed was pure bliss. Basically 6 goals in 2-3 minutes was delirium but that final minute in the 3rd is tattooed in my brain. I'm still a bit annoyed I missed the Oliver goal as I decided to take a piss thinking that was it. Hearing my partner cheering from the lounge as Oliver sends the ball through the middle sticks is just adds to the great memories, boy was I quick to rush back. In the last quarter when we were up by 48, the adrenalin filled call I made to my dad was a great experience, I knew he wasn't watching so to deliver that news was very satisfying. Apparently he got a lot of text messages at that point to. The next day I just had to visit my parents, I mean * the covid rules I've waited a long time. Anyway was quite the ride, I'm looking forward for next season and actually going in relaxed feels sensational.

I've been meaning to share my thoughts as well having hardly posted anything since we won the GF. I went into the season with a really negative mindset. Felt like I wasn't going to let the club let me down anymore. Somehow I think this attitude prevented me from enjoying the season as much as it should have. While there were games that I really enjoyed (Richmond, Bulldogs, Lions) I felt like we weren't playing well but were still grinding out wins. (Which is effectively a good trait but I was just waiting for the wheels to fall off.)

When we hit that flat patch & the Doggies beat us I've gotta admit I was was almost done with football. I know this sounds a bit dramatic considering I've followed the Dees since 87 & stuck through so much rubbish but I felt Melbourne had lured me back into investing into them only to hurt me again. As much as I wanted to be done with them I thought how bad would it be after barracking for them for over 30 years & I pull the pin weeks before they end up winning the flag. Not that I was expecting them to win it but we were still hovering around the the top of the ladder.

The Rd 23 game must of been my favourite game/moment of all time. I actually enjoyed it more than the premiership.
I remember being nervous before the prelim but started laughing at how Much Maxy was taking the piss against them. After the game I thought I'd enjoy soaking up the two week build up but after a few days it was apparent they were scraping the barrel to get enough content on just the two teams. In fact I almost felt like my interest in the game was waning. Come the big day I wasn't nervous & just did my thing like it was any other night game I was intended to watch.

Amazingly when things weren't looking good halfway through the third I wasn't that upset. In fact I felt indifferent. While I enjoyed the comeback & the last quarter was fun the fact that the result went from being in dispute to over so quickly made it feel a little less special.

Now I know many people reading this might think I'm not a true supporter or I'm just hard to please but my own response to us winning surprised even me. For years I wondered if I might shed a tear if we ever happened to win a flag but I'm guessing shielding your emotion works two ways. I wonder if other long suffering fans from the Swans, Tigers & Bulldogs ever felt like this?

I couldn't be arsed discussing the game on here after we won & while I read a fair bit of post celebration content I didn't read as much as I normally would. There was a part of me that wondered if I'll even watch this season but as the season draws near I think its safe to say I'll be on board once again. Now that the monkey is finally off our backs I might be able to just sit down & take it in without feeling like my enjoyment of the club hinges on witnessing a premiership.

Some great memories there and while we finally have that premiership in our pocket, I no longer want to look back at last year now, it's done and dusted.
Time to move on and focus on the upcoming season. We're getting close and I'm excited to see what we can do this year.
We have to improve again and have a good run with injuries and if the footy gods are with us, maybe just maybe, we get another crack at it.
Bring it on.:melbourne:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funniest thing for me is that, living in QLD, last game I went to was when Port absoutely spanked us at the gabba in 2020. But holy s**t last year was excellent fun. Can't wait to get to some games this year.

Funniest thing for me is that, living in QLD, last game I went to was when Port absoutely spanked us at the gabba in 2020. But holy sh*t last year was excellent fun. Can't wait to get to some games this year.
We were absolute piss that night. Bookended by the prelim fiasco v the Eagles and the aforementioned shitshow against Port our W-L ratio was 8-23. Goodwin had to have been close to the chop at that point. Since R9 2020 we’re 26-7-1.

Agree about the Port win being underrated. We were in indifferent form at the time having lost 3 of our past 6 and really needed to bank a win. Port were fellow contenders and we crunched them.
Very true, I actually remember being disappointed that we didn't really give them the thumping they deserved, but in retrospect once it was clear the game was won the cue was put in the rack. I think Port kicked a goal late which flattered the scoreboard as well.

Very true, I actually remember being disappointed that we didn't really give them the thumping they deserved, but in retrospect once it was clear the game was won the cue was put in the rack. I think Port kicked a goal late which flattered the scoreboard as well.

Felt like we've been drilled to rather than go for the throat (As we did in two finals) is take it easy and shut the game down.

Yeah I mean in finals you can get blowouts too because the oppo give up, which is what happened in both the prelim and GF.
Yeah fair enough, 3rd quarter was foot on the throat at least. Geelong gave up and there was no reason to really bury them. Gf slightly different that was foot on throat until about 5 minutes to go, only because we came from 19 down. If we were 19 up would have been a different story, probably would have gotten to 70 quicker and then allow some Bulldog junk time.

I loved the Port game. Regardless of thumping, it felt as though we were in control throughout. Also restored my confidence after a few ordinary performances prior

"Toump Ass! You ******* idiot!". I roll over and pull the doona up to my neck, smiling. "Seriously, I’m sick of this s**t, please, please, please shut the * up!"

It was mid-August, Wednesday morning, 3:30am. I’d crawled into bed and shaken the wife awake to ask her "the pertinent questions". How many goals was Benny Brown going to kick in the granny? Was Nibbler going to win the Norm Smith, or was Tommy Mac going to get the votes?

Working from home meant seeing the family all day, every day. The toddler of the house had picked up the song I’d sing to myself while deep-diving into Excel wizardry: "Gonna win a flag! Gonna win a flag!". We’d sing it together most days. He didn’t know what a flag meant, it didn’t matter.

Mrs. Ass grew accustomed to being woken up and interrogated on Melbourne’s Premiership Victory. It was a nightly occurrence after all. A ritual if you like. "I think I’m going to stay at my parents for a while" she said one morning as the big day approached "I can’t imagine what you’ll be like if you lose. I’m scared for you."

"Lose?” I replied. "Scared of what? The * you think is going to happen?"

Saturday morning I texted everyone I know: "Are you ready to see the greatest premiership in history?". Most didn’t reply; they were probably scared too. But I still don’t know what anyone was worried about.

The middle of the year was pretty rough for me. My dad was taken to hospital in ambulance; he stayed there for a couple of months. I’d drive an hour to see him and hope I could sweet talk my way through the COVID protocols. I’d get through most times, but occasionally I’d just have to turn around and drive an hour home again. Dad wouldn’t know if I was there anyway. But come the granny, he was recovering well. And when the Dogs went three goals up, he steeled me: "The Dees will win. The Dees MUST win!"

I needed a drink, but I tipped a little (a lot) too much vodka in. I tried to figure out how to make whatever I’d invented somewhat palatable and I heard a roar- we’d got one back. Thank * for that. Then I heard the commentator’s pipe up- it must be the replay I thought. But it wasn’t- we’d kicked another. And another followed shortly. I fixed my drink in time to see Brayshaw risk his bloody life to take a mark and kick the goal that put us in front. My boy Gus. I told you he was a star. I told everyone. I’ve been saying it all along.

Things are bit blurry after that. I persuaded the wife to come out of hiding and we watched Tommy Mac belt it through the posts together. I remember wondering if anyone’s jaw had ever fallen off. I remember telling my Dad I loved him. I remember the texts piling up and thinking how lovely it will be when the drugs wore off and I could figure out how to operate my phone again to read them. Friends I hadn’t spoken to in years, here and abroad, had got in touch to congratulate me. I was still getting back to everyone a month later.

I’d planned the morning after: a big fat breakfast then sunglasses and scarf singing "we just won a flag!" on the way to grab the papers. What I didn’t plan on was being shocked at the score. Somehow, in the madness and euphoria of the night before, the extent of the victory just hadn’t sunk in. We belted them. We really did.

Anyway. What I find funny about it all is this:

As confident as I was, as much as I believed it was going to happen (and I really did, from very early on)… it’s still literally floors me that we won it. It’s bloody amazing. Still. And not just that we won the flag, but how we won it. Heart, courage, skill, heroes on every line. I could count on one hand how many genuine champions I’d seen play a whole season in Red and Blue. But this team is full of them. On every line. Legends. Premiership Champions. To watch them rise to a level that no other team could match- or even come close. Unbelievable.

How ******* good was that?

Bring on 2022!

schmuttt your step dad got taken in an ambulance to the ER with chest pains but you and your mum stayed home to watch the game?

That is some grade A ******* commitment there lol

That son of a bitch was on his own, we had a minor premiership on the line!!

Weren't allowed to go due to COVID

Right, right… i mean of course Schmutt would have been there if covid had allowed. He’s not some wild savage ffs

I loved the Port game. Regardless of thumping, it felt as though we were in control throughout. Also restored my confidence after a few ordinary performances prior

Was a crucial win after three poor performances, the essendon game felt like a loss, however the poor form continued with a draw to hawthorn and loss to the Doggies. I actually think the gold coast game came at the right time, an easy kill which got the confidence back.

The three main architects of the 2021 flag are Jason Taylor, Peter Jackson and Paul Roos. Taylor got to see it through but Jackson deserves huge credit for taking a roaring bin fire and turning us into a functioning club again. Similarly, Roos gets credit for taking a broken playing group, using his credibility to attract handy recycled players like Cross, Vince, Tyson, Garlett and leaving us with a decent list playing AFL standard footy by the time he left. Roos also deserves credit picking Goodwin as his successor which seemed a bit left field at the time.

In 2021 we transformed from mediocre to good to great in the space of a season. It was the year they grew up. While there was a long way to go, the early rounds provided glimpses that this team were made of sterner stuff than previous seasons. The Freo game was an ugly spectacle but we held them at arms length by being well organised behind the ball and our midfielders tracked runners a lot better. Against the Saints and GWS we withstood spirited bursts and turned the game around whereas in previous years those were the sort of games where we would fall into a huge deficit that there was no coming back from. While the season had plenty twists and turns with a handful of disappointing results, even in our losses we were still a reasonable chance of nicking the game deep into the last quarter. By finals we were capable of both scoring quickly and defending staunchly which saw us run out deserved premiers.

I’m forever grateful for 2021 and actually feel pretty excited about watching footy without the nagging will we ever win a flag question in the back of my mind.

I’m hopeful we will give it a shake again in 2022 but also understand that if there’s any drop off in hunger we could fall of the pace pretty quickly too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back