Opinion The full stop to 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

2022 is the first season that I can recall that I’m looking forward to the season. Every year prior I was curled up in a ball dreading it and wishing we could stick with the training pics and updates for a bit longer. Or much, much longer.

I’ve got 2021 to thank for this. Not just that we won the flag, but that I saw so many games that gave me confidence that this is a genuinely good list.

I saw so many games that gave me confidence that this is a genuinely good list.
* oath it's a good list!

More importantly I think is that we're a genuinely good club. We don't give up when things get tough, not "soft" like I think we might have been before. It's nice knowing our club is going to make a contest off it and not just roll over because we happen to be favourites that week. Our coach is a legend I love him he's a bit weird and loves the players and that's unreal. Speaking of players- we've got some gems. And not just absolute stars because we've got those obviously but I can't think of anyone who is a total flog. We don't have a thug who gets himself suspended when we need him, a vice captain crashing cars on a drinking binge, some guy accidentally getting naked and looking for a cab because he's never had scotch before. Our biggest diver is probably Spargo and he's nowhere near the level of guys like Cody Mr Invisible Weightman or whatever. I really like so many of our players: Jake Lever, Stevie May, Maxy Gawn, My Boy Gus, all of them come across as genuine sweethearts you'd love to have a beer with. And speaking of beers: how good is our president? Amazing. Her name rhymes with "Froffy", how good is that? "Froffy with Roffey" should be a podcast, I'm gonna write to the club about that. It would be awesome I'm sure. She's also not Eddie McGuire or some rich eccentric Jewish guy or whoever else we had and that's bloody brilliant. I could go on forever. Dees are so good I love following them and not some s**t club like Collingwood or Western Bulldogs or some other crap full of flogs and s**t players.

fu** oath it's a good list!

More importantly I think is that we're a genuinely good club. We don't give up when things get tough, not "soft" like I think we might have been before. It's nice knowing our club is going to make a contest off it and not just roll over because we happen to be favourites that week. Our coach is a legend I love him he's a bit weird and loves the players and that's unreal. Speaking of players- we've got some gems. And not just absolute stars because we've got those obviously but I can't think of anyone who is a total flog. We don't have a thug who gets himself suspended when we need him, a vice captain crashing cars on a drinking binge, some guy accidentally getting naked and looking for a cab because he's never had scotch before. Our biggest diver is probably Spargo and he's nowhere near the level of guys like Cody Mr Invisible Weightman or whatever. I really like so many of our players: Jake Lever, Stevie May, Maxy Gawn, My Boy Gus, all of them come across as genuine sweethearts you'd love to have a beer with. And speaking of beers: how good is our president? Amazing. Her name rhymes with "Froffy", how good is that? "Froffy with Roffey" should be a podcast, I'm gonna write to the club about that. It would be awesome I'm sure. She's also not Eddie McGuire or some rich eccentric Jewish guy or whoever else we had and that's bloody brilliant. I could go on forever. Dees are so good I love following them and not some sh*t club like Collingwood or Western Bulldogs or some other crap full of flogs and sh*t players.
I love you Toump. Not in a weird or creepy way, just a way that gives me energy and hope!

Not sure if I wrote this anywhere else but I've said to me than a few people that at the end of 2019 you told me we'd win the flag in 2021, I'd have been questioning your mental health or what drugs you were on. If you told me we'd win by 74 points, that it would be played at the stadium 10 kms from my home and that I'd be there, I would be googling the number for the men in white coats asap. Just hope it's something that the rest of you can experience in 2022 - Optus was brilliant but still nothing like a full house at the G.

It's funny to think that it all started in March in that arm wrestle against Freo (let's face it, pretty awful spectacle). The wasn't a single moment in that match that filled me with confidence that we'd even play finals, never mind finishing top and taking the flag.

what a year!
From starting the season like a house on fire. It wasn't until April, i will remember where i was when i first thought we could go deep into september (Note, i didnt say we would win the flag but sure go close) I was at the G' when we decisively accounted for a battered Richmond side.
I have never had more belive that what we were doing was finally at Elite level. From Burgo to player managment/Developing young players.

Gone are the days of picking Toumpus and wondering why we didnt pick Dangerfield or Dusty. In my mind the club was such a "Basketcase" that "It wouldnt of matterd who we picked, we would of ****ed him up!"
The Player x we picked would of mired in metiocrity whilst the player we didnt pick (Scully, Trenners, Grimes) would of went on be an elite of the comp.

Finally getting back to 21' Like i was saying id never had more Belief in Goody and The System. I knew wed lose some games but i didnt mind.
When we were down against Footscray/Brisbane in a two week block that were some empty friday night games we steeled and Sucked the air right of out a vacant Etihad Stadium as we choked Footscray with our defensive structure. (foreshadowing)

Was going to do a long post but cbf.

Last year overall was really bleak with the some highlights scattered throughout, the months long lockdown really took a toll on me as I didn't think we'd have to go through that again, it sucked. The dees winning the flag (and the season itself) was really something special in that it took my mind of the year itself and gave me some much needed joy, really couldn't have come at a better time.

So cheers Melbourne, I love you sometimes, I hate you sometimes, but that was bloody brilliant what we did last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back