Autopsy The future beyond KKK

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's time to accept that we exist to balance the TV schedule and maybe win a flag every few decades a al WBs. Our board and senior managers are entrusted to deliver this "vision" of stability and low expectations, while trying to sell some hope so people continue to buy memberships. It's not an easy task but it's pretty obvious that's what they are doing. IMO.

That’s definitely the conditioning.

• Koch: “little club”
• Thomas: “we’ve always punched above our weight”
• Hinkley: “it’s not about wins and losses”

Paying the bills and always competitive = success.

That’s definitely the conditioning.

• Koch: “little club”
• Thomas: “we’ve always punched above our weight”
• Hinkley: “it’s not about wins and losses”

Paying the bills and always competitive = success.
Define "competitive".

This block of administrators are like Ian Dicker and the Hawks administrators in the 1996-2005 era. They saved the club, they stabilized the club, laid good foundations, made the list competitive most years, drafted some good kids etc, but they weren't going to bring a flag to the club.

It was the next group, along with a coach appointed at the end of that era, that brought the big success. A ruthless new president who didn't accept 2nd best and a coach who was also ruthless, especially after the first couple of years as he built his list. The president got 1 flag, then the next president over saw the 3 flags and is now an AFL commissioner, a bit of a stuff up for a couple of years and then Kennett came back. Clarko has been there all that time and he has gone past the being competitive phase.

Clarko talks about re-calibrating and getting rid of blokes to build for the next premiership not to make finals and be competitive and finish mid table.

That's what the future beyond KKK has to possess. We need people who see winning it all as a pass mark not just making finals.

Last edited:
I’m not a great fan of Koch, but wasn’t he instrumental in bringing in Gupta?

Having said that, I’m still a bit wary of Gupta but that’s probably just the MyATM PTSD talking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the funding model by the indian government is contrary to the laws of Australia but I feel Australia will overlook it for strategic reasons

I don’t know about ‘future’? The three of them are going to leave one hell of a mess before they eventually leave.

We still got at least 2 years of this circus.

I see the key to the whole shemozzle, and eventually getting all the ducks to line up in a row is to replace Koch with a genuine football person, but that won't be easy, as I have no doubt he will try and hang on for as long as it suits his agenda.
A genuine Port Adelaide person if possible, but if he/she isn't, that may not be absolutely necessary, as long as we get the right individual.

I don't know about Koch's involvement in the Gupta situation, but as has already been pointed out it was the previous admin who set in motion the move to Adelaide oval, and it was the AFL started the ball rolling on the Renault sponsorship.
All the Kochmeister did was pick up that sponsorship and run with it, and some years later the message was it may have been `sold' at below market value.

Maybe ‘Killer’ Cahill is the man to replace Koch? He’s on the board now, so he may have the appetite for it?

He, more than most, knows what this club was and what it needs to get back to. Stuff this loser messaging/ small club syndrome coming from the current regime.

I'm still prepared to cut KT a little bit of slack ( although I still expect he will be the first of the 3K trilogy to leave the club ), as I suspect his role is hamstrung quite a bit by an inept board, and an even more inept president.

The thing about KT is that he's completely spent. He's tried his guts out, spread himself too thin and is utterly burnt out. Honestly think he's done. We need s new CEO sooner rather than later. In fact we need a new everything ASAP. Perhaps KT could specifically moved to focusing on China but the day to day stuff needs to go to somebody else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing about KT is that he's completely spent. He's tried his guts out, spread himself too thin and is utterly burnt out. Honestly think he's done. We need s new CEO sooner rather than later. In fact we need a new everything ASAP. Perhaps KT could specifically moved to focusing on China but the day to day stuff needs to go to somebody else.

Fair point, KT has been showing signs of burn out for at least 3 seasons now, but I have my doubts a new CEO could be much more effective under the current situation. :(

I don't think recruiting these guys was a big mistake. Half of Watts contract was paid by the demons, and Trengove and McKenzie were on low ball contracts. We gave up a 2nd round pick to get all of them done so it was no big deal. Our list is so young that we will now need to recruit a good free agent, I am pretty sure that we will throw a big free agency contract at Jeremy Cameron next year to replace Dixon in the near future
Our recent mistake was recruiting watts, motlop, rockcliff, trengove, McKenzie etc. We thought we were close but this decision has probably closed the window and pushed it out by three years.

The result of our window being pushed out by three years will see the loss of boak, ryder, rgray, westhoff, rockcliff, ebert, broadbent, dixon, hartlett, jonas, motlop, watts, trengove, sgray and mckenzie during that period. Some are likely to face the cut at years end or just held for loyalty factor. There are some quality names there especialy when we just lost pittard, polec and wingard.

This turnover means we will always be 2-3 years away from contending.

Then we have guys like Wines who simply isn't cut out for the pace of modern football..............and we make him captain. Worse his kicking makes Shaun McManus look polished.

Our poor 2017 draft of patmore, farrell, garner and barry looks pretty ordinary with our only hope being Hayes who has been cruelled by injury.

the failure to develop austin, frampton etc........when was the last time our club developed our own ruck or tall forward?

So if we are to look back at why we are so average, we have assess our trading, drafting, development and retention. Then isolate the team responsible for these decisions and hold them accountable. Sure the board is responsible for calling for that review and allocating a budget but that's it.

So I'm not sure the negative energy we have is focused in the right place, if its focused at the board.

On LYA-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back