The future is bright lions fans

Most promising young star

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure everyone was jizzing over Lester being potential A grader a few years back. Truth is nearly all Afl clubs have 1 maybe 2 A graders. The term is thrown around too loosely these days.
I thought that this was what this thread was about and due to that we could all be wrong with our predictions. Zorko is our A lister with Beams and Andrews just underneath. Personally, to be rated A grade they need to be able to consistently play at that level and eventhough Zorko has a rough start the last three years he has been at that level. We're all just hoping that we have some youth that will go that level.

These sort of threads have a tendency to crush and burn. It's like an "Operation" thread.
Nothing like getting ahead of one's self, only to have reality smash your expectations a few years later.
Remember the fapping when the three R's showed glimpses, and subsequent youngsters as well.
So let's achieve some greatness first and then we can all join in a communal circle fap.

These sort of threads have a tendency to crush and burn. It's like an "Operation" thread.
Nothing like getting ahead of one's self, only to have reality smash your expectations a few years later.
Remember the fapping when the three R's showed glimpses, and subsequent youngsters as well.
So let's achieve some greatness first and then we can all join in a communal circle fap.
Remember it , I swallowed it hook , line and sinker like a rouge tailor on Fraser Is. .
I agree with you around 2011 looked really promising 3 R's , players like Banfield, Karnesis, Golby to name a few and then the Gh5 and some promising future forwards in Mitch Clark , Retz , etc. pretty much turned to s**t.
Water under the bridge.
Now I need to see players in their third and more years to be more capable of consistently playing at Afl standard before I can start feeling genuinely positive . Too many of those players are still struggling to do the basics for mind and that in itself has put us so far behind imo.
Are they capable or are they just fillers , either way the future is bright just might be a bit further away with another clean out.

Difference now is a lot of the current players are first rounders and a couple are top 3 picks. This is the first time in our existence we have had sustained access to the top few picks and still a couple more to come. Rich was a first rounder but most of the rest were second third rounders and pre draft picks.

Absolutly nothing wrong with being excited about our group. Whats the alternative, just being in a state of 'neutral' for 3 more years. There is no reason to stop others from enjoying the ride.

Absolutly nothing wrong with being excited about our group. Whats the alternative, just being in a state of 'neutral' for 3 more years. There is no reason to stop others from enjoying the ride.
Because when it does crash and burn (and it will) we get people who lash out at fellow posters, the club, the AFL etc...... due to everyone pumping up every single bloke who runs out in a Lions jumper.

Because when it does crash and burn (and it will) we get people who lash out at fellow posters, the club, the AFL etc...... due to everyone pumping up every single bloke who runs out in a Lions jumper.
We have no idea if it will or wont. What we do know is that we actually have top line 1st rounders in the team rather than 2nd and 3rd rounders there. If posters lash out, then they are obviously sick of the endless rebuild and maybe it is time they went for another team. It is up to the individual whether they should get excited or not and not other posters telling others not to.

McLuggage would have to be the pick of the draftees. First year I was surprised he was given so many games. I thought he was weak, getting tackled easily, lacking endurance - spending only 70-80% time on field despite playing HFF/wing; and a tad slow/off with his disposals at times. I thought we were carrying him for the first part of last season and that we would have won more matches if we had played Bastinac/Bell etc in his stead. There were glimpses of pure talent but I thought he looked clearly worse than McGrath, Taranto, SPS, SPP, Florent, Ainsworth in the 2017 season

Fagan has clearly proven me wrong with his selections. McLuggage is really building and has improved markedly due to his game time in 2017. He has built some core strength. He is able to stand up in a tackle - get his hands free, drive through his hips and shrug off defenders and jump and mark like Taranto. He has the speed, nimbleness, sidestep ability of McGrath. His size is letting him stick tackles. The thing that sets him apart from pick 1 and 2 is the time and space he seems to have developed. He is playing like his Neo from the matrix. Every time he has the ball you can see his eyes quickly scan through 1st, 2nd, 3rd options as he is also shrugging/side stepping a tackle and he makes plays with his elite disposal. He is not just a one trick pony. He can stand up and fend. He can turn on some afterburners and quickly accelerate through a tackle. He does all that whilst searching for options - and he gets great results with his disposal unlike SPP.

McLuggage is going to be a monster in season 4 when he has developed his tank so that he can run both offensively and defensively for four quarters. I genuinely expect him to be a potential brownlow contender.

Using a horribly biased but nevertheless quantitative measure of players-from-our-team-in-the-AA-squad lets see ...

2000 - 0
2001 - 5
2002 - 6
2003 - 3
2004 - 5
2005 - 0
2006 - 0
2007 - 1
2008 - 0
2009 - 1
2010 - 0
2011 - 0
2012 - 0
2013 - 0
2014 - 1
2015 - 0
2016 - 0
2017 - 1

Leaving aside concepts that someone like Black was certainly an A grader after the years that he was in this team (and that there are only so many spots to play with etc) that would make the answer ... 2005!

Yep looks about right. Brown a bit stiff in a couple of years maybe. Patful almost got the nod at times and I Remember classifying Merrett during his best year as A grade.

This year I would classify Martin, Zorko, Andrews and Beams as A grade players.

Whether beams is consistant enough to be an A grader is debatable, but if you said 'dayne beams is an A grade player'.. doubt you'd get kicked out of the pub.

McLuggage would have to be the pick of the draftees. First year I was surprised he was given so many games. I thought he was weak, getting tackled easily, lacking endurance - spending only 70-80% time on field despite playing HFF/wing; and a tad slow/off with his disposals at times. I thought we were carrying him for the first part of last season and that we would have won more matches if we had played Bastinac/Bell etc in his stead. There were glimpses of pure talent but I thought he looked clearly worse than McGrath, Taranto, SPS, SPP, Florent, Ainsworth in the 2017 season

Fagan has clearly proven me wrong with his selections. McLuggage is really building and has improved markedly due to his game time in 2017. He has built some core strength. He is able to stand up in a tackle - get his hands free, drive through his hips and shrug off defenders and jump and mark like Taranto. He has the speed, nimbleness, sidestep ability of McGrath. His size is letting him stick tackles. The thing that sets him apart from pick 1 and 2 is the time and space he seems to have developed. He is playing like his Neo from the matrix. Every time he has the ball you can see his eyes quickly scan through 1st, 2nd, 3rd options as he is also shrugging/side stepping a tackle and he makes plays with his elite disposal. He is not just a one trick pony. He can stand up and fend. He can turn on some afterburners and quickly accelerate through a tackle. He does all that whilst searching for options - and he gets great results with his disposal unlike SPP.

McLuggage is going to be a monster in season 4 when he has developed his tank so that he can run both offensively and defensively for four quarters. I genuinely expect him to be a potential brownlow contender.

Yeah I thought Berry was better last year but even though Berry took a step forward this season Clug has shown he has the capability to have a huge influence on the game.

Yep looks about right. Brown a bit stiff in a couple of years maybe. Patful almost got the nod at times and I Remember classifying Merrett during his best year as A grade.

Whether beams is consistant enough to be an A grader is debatable, but if you said 'dayne beams is an A grade player'.. doubt you'd get kicked out of the pub.
You might get kicked out of the pub saying that Martin is an A grader?
In and around the ruck contest, I believe he is A grade.
But disposal and decision making and the speed at which he makes those decisions he most certainly is not!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You might get kicked out of the pub saying that Martin is an A grader?
In and around the ruck contest, I believe he is A grade.
But disposal and decision making and the speed at which he makes those decisions he most certainly is not!
I have a theory on y Martin gets so many disposals.....the opposition lets him get loose to encourage his team mates to give the pill to him coz they know he will turn it over n give it straight back. Our players are numbskulls and fall for it week after week :)

Andrews the only AA on a consistency basis.

Andrews is only one I'd give an A to for this season. The other 3 would just miss out. Cameron, MRobbo and Dizzy would get Bs too. The rest Can.

We have no idea if it will or wont. What we do know is that we actually have top line 1st rounders in the team rather than 2nd and 3rd rounders there. If posters lash out, then they are obviously sick of the endless rebuild and maybe it is time they went for another team. It is up to the individual whether they should get excited or not and not other posters telling others not to.
The big question will be whether they collectively stick around to see it through.

Given how easily influenced most top line recruits are to return to the bright lights of Melbourne (or to a lesser extent, footy heartlands in WA / SA) and play centre stage in front of actual crowds remains to be seen.

I hope they do, but I’m not holding my breath. Being a one club player just doesn’t have the appeal it once did particularly given the media’s thirst for players lust moving clubs and normalising player movement.

Not just the media's thirst for player movement, the afl are doing everything they can to encourage it. Free agency, mid season trading and poor support for struggling teams, none of which will benefit us, the qld teams or those at the bottom of the table. The afl has even said they want to see more player movement. While i hope the young crop of players stick around, its impossible to have any confidence that they will. We do have a bright future if they stay but we do have a lot to be worried and sceptical about as well.

I have a theory on y Martin gets so many disposals.....the opposition lets him get loose to encourage his team mates to give the pill to him coz they know he will turn it over n give it straight back. Our players are numbskulls and fall for it week after week :)
More likely, he gets defended by the opposing ruckman and most others are roughly as agile as a statue.

The person I can’t wait to strike some luck is Sam skinner. We have seen 1 quarter of what he is capable of and as Dermie said ‘this Skinner kid is a real goer’.

2 goals smashed tackle and had the coasters jumping before he ran out of puff. Please footy gods give him the knees to have a real crack. I reckon he will be magnificent

I have thought the same myself. Especially in the first half of the Gold Coast game! It just seemed so obvious live at that game. I have noticed Stef trying to hand ball a bit more since then though.

Back