Most promising young star

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lions2002

Rookie
Jul 5, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The future is so bright at the lions, Fagan needs to wear sunnies. Bet he can't sleep at night knowing the potential the list has in the years to come. With carlton in the same boat, my prediction is a cartlon and brisbane grand final in 2023

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
The future is so bright at the lions, Fagan needs to wear sunnies. Bet he can't sleep at night knowing the potential the list has in the years to come. With carlton in the same boat, my prediction is a cartlon and brisbane grand final in 2023

I'd prefer to beat Collingwood again for the lulz of seeing Eddie's head explode one more time before I depart this earthly coil.

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I voted McCluggage just in front of Berry. Sounds weird to say I didn't vote Andrews as I reckon he is on the cusp of A grade already. Berry's pre-season was lacking to minimal and at this stage of his career each full pre-season is seriously important. Why McCluggage? He was always going to be a slow burn and there have been at times some seriously good signs. His body is still developing and eventhough he won't be that in and under type he'll be able to balance both and he has a lot of class. 2020 will be the year I reckon when the rest of the comp will sit up and take notice. But I do love Berry too.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Sounds weird to say I didn't vote Andrews as I reckon he is on the cusp of A grade already..

Doesn't sound weird to me.

He's way beyond the realm of "promising" or even A grade cuspiness in my view.

He's in serious contention for AA selection.

GUN:thumbsu:

Mar 13, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Bruins, Dodgers, Bulls, SEM Phoenix
With carlton in the same boat, my prediction is a cartlon and brisbane grand final in 2023
I think this season has shown that Carlton isn't as far along the rebuild as they thought they were, and that bringing in all those GWS players hasn't fast-tracked them.

Lynch17

Rookie
Jun 8, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Interesting to see hipwoods votes, 2 from over 50 voters. He would have as high a ceiling as anyone in the afl with what he can do and his ability to change matches. But he hasn’t quiet been able to pull it all together consistently. He has shown glimpses of brilliance this year, but will then go missing for long stretches of time. He also needs to stick his marks, that would help.

Imo practically nothing separates Hipwood, McCluggage and Rayner in terms of potential (Andrews has well and truly left the potential category so can't be included). I voted Rayner purely based on his incredible glimpses this year. I rate them all so highly.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Imo practically nothing separates Hipwood, McCluggage and Rayner in terms of potential (Andrews has well and truly left the potential category so can't be included). I voted Rayner purely based on his incredible glimpses this year. I rate them all so highly.

I think Clug and Rayner will be well rounder but I wonder if Hipwood will ever get rid of his weaknesses. His strengths will see him as a strong contributor but still could end up similar to Westhoff but hopefully a bit better.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The futures so bright Fagan gotta wear these shades

huge-sunglasses-4.jpg

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Anyone else been suprised by Rayner's footskills especially into the forward 50?

Not just the skills but quick decision making and he immediately looks into the corridor.

The young guys are well drilled for dangerous ball movement

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I voted McCluggage just in front of Berry. Sounds weird to say I didn't vote Andrews as I reckon he is on the cusp of A grade already. Berry's pre-season was lacking to minimal and at this stage of his career each full pre-season is seriously important. Why McCluggage? He was always going to be a slow burn and there have been at times some seriously good signs. His body is still developing and eventhough he won't be that in and under type he'll be able to balance both and he has a lot of class. 2020 will be the year I reckon when the rest of the comp will sit up and take notice. But I do love Berry too.
This was my exact thought process too. Andrews already is a star. A few others are right on the way but McClugg looks like the one to really become a star

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Out of all our young players IMO we have 1 player who is going to be a definite AA level player ie. Harris Andrews and 3 that I am very confident will reach that level during their careers ie. Hugh McCluggage, Cameron Rayner and Jarrod Berry.

Then there is one just under that level of confidence for me ie. Alex Witherden and Darcy Gardner is closing quickly.

Jury still out on Eric Hipwood, but he is still very young for a KPF.

Six potential AA level players is a hell of a core to build around.

Note- Glass half full opinion. :)

KPFs' take a while to develop so I'm happy to sit and wait a bit longer with Hippy. His flashes of brilliance will start to become more frequent if he's given a chance to develop his craft.

I voted Rayner. For a first year player coming fresh from the 2017 draft he already has shown a buttload of potential. Berry, McCluggage, Witho, they're already on their way even just with their short careers. And Andrews has the league paying attention to him now. But I genuinely can't wait to see what Rayner turns into with a couple of seasons of senior footy in him.

Out of all our young players IMO we have 1 player who is going to be a definite AA level player ie. Harris Andrews and 3 that I am very confident will reach that level during their careers ie. Hugh McCluggage, Cameron Rayner and Jarrod Berry.

Then there is one just under that level of confidence for me ie. Alex Witherden and Darcy Gardner is closing quickly.

This will be almost identical to the media release from the Afl when they knock back our pp request.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

4 A graders on a list at any one time is good. Cant remember the last time we had 4 A graders on the park at the same time. We have 4 at the moment.

Dodongo

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Dodongo thinks McStay should be in this conversation. He is moving up each year and KPPs take a bit to get going. Once it clicks for him he is going to be a 50 goal a year forward.

4 A graders on a list at any one time is good. Cant remember the last time we had 4 A graders on the park at the same time. We have 4 at the moment.

Using a horribly biased but nevertheless quantitative measure of players-from-our-team-in-the-AA-squad lets see ...

2000 - 0
2001 - 5
2002 - 6
2003 - 3
2004 - 5
2005 - 0
2006 - 0
2007 - 1
2008 - 0
2009 - 1
2010 - 0
2011 - 0
2012 - 0
2013 - 0
2014 - 1
2015 - 0
2016 - 0
2017 - 1

Leaving aside concepts that someone like Black was certainly an A grader after the years that he was in this team (and that there are only so many spots to play with etc) that would make the answer ... 2005!

Back